Banking in Sousa

tappers

Jul 15, 2011
Hi Folks, we will be arriving at the Puerto Plata airport next week. Do you have debit machines in the DR? We will need some US cash and dominican pesos when we get there. Do they have bank machines in the airport or do we need to go to a bank in Sousa when we arrive. Which bank would you recommend? Also, are we better off to carry US cash or dominican pesos as the main form of currency?

Muchas Gracias

Mar 2, 2008
There are plenty of ATM machines around. You can use your debit card and get pesos, usually at a very competitive exchange rate. All bank ATMs are about the same. Most have an amount limit, but you shouldn't have any problem finding one close by that fits your needs.

There are fees involved, usually around 1%, which is charged to your debit card account.

I find ATMs a safe and effective way to access my money here.

It is generally better to pay for everything with pesos. Many businesses will accept dollars, but usually you will not get a very favorable rate of exchange.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Folks, we will be arriving at the Puerto Plata airport next week. Do you have debit machines in the DR? We will need some US cash and dominican pesos when we get there. Do they have bank machines in the airport or do we need to go to a bank in Sousa when we arrive. Which bank would you recommend? Also, are we better off to carry US cash or dominican pesos as the main form of currency?

Muchas Gracias

No US cash from debit machines. Pesos are the local currency. US is used for some transactions however you don't need it for everyday use. Banco Popular (My favorite in over 25 years) for your banking.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Make sure you let your bank know you are coming here so they don't block your card.

tappers

Jul 15, 2011
Your Answers

Folks, thanks very much for your timely response to my questions, we leave in a couple of days and that helps!

Tappers