Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exchange rate before election

Seems the rate has been creeping towards 40 to 1USD as the election closes in. If Hippo is elected do you see a chance of it going over 50 again. If so will the menus in the tourist areas be changed to dollars from pesos again. Even at the airport it is cheaper to pay in pesos at the STI food court. And are the Sosua putas quoting rates in dollars again. Gonna be an interesting 4 months.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like,barring any "Stumbles" by the PLD,"hippolito" won't win.
    But the peso will continue it's drop vs the US Dollar in 2012.
    "GOOD",I got a few "Bucks"!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Leonel has been keeping the peso from falling during his whole term. At what cost? Just look at the depts the DR has. He can't perform miracles so it's been sliding a little more every month. He's probably hoping Hippo wins to justify it's dropping to 50:1 where it should have been from day one.

4. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Dislikes Criss Colon disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If the past is any indication, the last time Hippo took office the peso went from approx 28 to over 50 in a few months. If he repeats this feat than the peso should go from near 40 to 70. Buckle up your seatbelts.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE that!
    At 56 to 1,I did a lot of improvements to my home.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is Pichardo when the pesos need him? Their true value is 28 to 1.

We will see that immediately after Hippo releases all controls.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    You wanna give $1.00 for every 28 pesos I can rustle up?
    Let me fire up a time machine.

But wait.. It's not worth the energy. Fuggedaboutit

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    If the past is any indication, the last time Hippo took office the peso went from approx 28 to over 50 in a few months. If he repeats this feat than the peso should go from near 40 to 70. Buckle up your seatbelts.
    Don't worry with all the cash "borrowed or otherwise acquired" that they will be putting out in the 3 months prior to the elections, it seems that the PLD will be the winners. Not sure about the futur of the peso.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Official exchange rate yesterday at Yahoo Finance was 38.725! I thought street money changers gave better rates than official ones?? Yahoo says "Please note: The exchange rates given are 'bank rates'. High street rates may be subject to commission", so is that the deal? Interestingly, the rate according to Yahoo Finance on Thursday was only 38.5803......is that a large jump in only one day? I don't follow this regularly, just when I need to change some cash. And only saw the official rate on a site by accident when I was searching for a specific restaurant review. And it said it was 38.87! (Dominican Republic Live ! - News, Videos and Informations from Dominican Republic, town by town.) That's when I checked Yahoo Finance.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

NYTimes is quoting it at 38.5 all week.

Sometimes the BUY and SELL get crossed.

Anyway, for those not reliant on pesos for income, the trend towards 50 is nice to see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast