Great and Easy Way to Help the Dogs & Cats of Sosua & Surrounding Areas

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
AAAS (Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a) also known as Friends of the Animals is seeking donations of used towels and blankets which can be used to keep the animals warm and comfortable after surgeries. Often the animals are sent home with the towel used for them, thus our supply is getting low. Paper towels and trashbags (medium/large) are other items that are used consistently and are always in demand.</SPAN></SPAN>

AAAS is fortunate to have a number of veterinarians coming over the next three months to lend their services at spay/neuter clinics specifically for the street animals and those owned by low-income residents of the Sosua area. Additionally, World Vets, a </SPAN>non-government organization providing veterinary aid around the globe in collaboration with animal advocacy groups, will be joining AAAS for </SPAN>a 3-day clinic in Sosua Abajo in February.</SPAN></SPAN>

If you have any items that you would like to donate to the cause, please drop them off at either the AAAS Thrift Store (next to Checkpoint Bar in Sosua) or at AAAS? clinic (co-located with Judy?s Pet Lodge, next to Dr. Bob?s). You can also send an email to </SPAN></SPAN>info@aaasosua.com</SPAN></SPAN> if you cannot get to either location, but would like to donate. We will make arrangements with one of our volunteers for a pickup - within a reasonable distance.</SPAN></SPAN>

During the World Vets clinic, our goal is to administer rabies vaccinations to every animal treated. At a cost of ~RD150 per shot, we will need nearly RD$22,500 (~US$585) to reach this goal. Therefore, monetary donations are needed and always welcome. Donations can be made at the AAAS Thrift Store or online via PayPal or by check (please visit the AAAS site at </SPAN></SPAN>http://www.aaasosua.com/sosua_dogs_donation.html</SPAN></SPAN> for all options). AAAS is a non-profit organization ? your donations may be tax-deductible.</SPAN></SPAN>

AAAS, its volunteers, and the dogs and cats of Sosua sincerely thank you for your support!</SPAN></SPAN>

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm sorry that we do not have room at our place for them to stay. It would have been our pleasure.

We are trying to get in touch with some friends in Fl. that might be able to get some used towels to bring down in a couple of weeks.

I just finished doing a little ride on my horse at a neighbors' child birthday party. I heard the music and saw all the children. I thought that a little ride for the kids would be fun. And it was! I got more out of it then the kids and parents.

So I'm reminded of all the other animals and what fun they can give.

Our donation to AAAS is on it's way.

THANKS TO JUDY AND ALL THE AAAS PEOPLE. U do great work.

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
I'm sorry that we do not have room at our place for them to stay. It would have been our pleasure.

We are trying to get in touch with some friends in Fl. that might be able to get some used towels to bring down in a couple of weeks.

I just finished doing a little ride on my horse at a neighbors' child birthday party. I heard the music and saw all the children. I thought that a little ride for the kids would be fun. And it was! I got more out of it then the kids and parents.

So I'm reminded of all the other animals and what fun they can give.

Our donation to AAAS is on it's way.

THANKS TO JUDY AND ALL THE AAAS PEOPLE. U do great work.

Sounds like it was a great day for you and the kids! Nice!!

Thank you for all you do for AAAS - I know you've helped out a TON in the past and will continue to support the critters as you can in the future. We appreciate all and anything that you can wrangle up.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Our two friends arrived yesterday and managed to stuff a few towels in their two checked bags. They will drop them off at AAAS in the next couple of days.

Perhaps you or someone can contact a hotel linen supplier and see if you can buy some used towels cheap. Miami area?

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
Ringo - please pass our sincere thanks on to your guests for being so thoughtful and bringing towels with them. Also, gracias for the idea for a potential source for ongoing needs. We'll check into it!

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
How Cool Is This????

Judy, director of AAAS, is walking to her car from the AAAS thrift store when a woman stops her and asks if she's Judy of AAAS. The reply, of course, is yes - and the woman hands Judy a donation to "help with the AAAS project". We didn't get her name - she remains anonymous - but if you're out there and reading this, please accept our heartfelt thank you for your generousity. Your karma point account just got a big deposit!! It is people like you who help AAAS continue to do their good work for the dogs and cats of Sosua.

For everyone else out there, please remember that every little bit helps. The ocean is comprised of millions (gazillions?) of drops of water...if you cannot afford to do a lot, please try to do a little...it truly does all add up. And your karma point account will also get a deposit! :classic:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My god, why make it so difficult?
Send a letter to each hotel or AI on the entire coast and ask for discarded linnen because every day there are tons of towels, sheets and table clothes not fit anymore for dressing the hotel.
ASK, all you can get is a no.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
AAAS (Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a) also known as Friends of the Animals is seeking donations of used towels and blankets which can be used to keep the animals warm and comfortable after surgeries. Often the animals are sent home with the towel used for them, thus our supply is getting low. Paper towels and trashbags (medium/large) are other items that are used consistently and are always in demand.

AAAS is fortunate to have a number of veterinarians coming over the next three months to lend their services at spay/neuter clinics specifically for the street animals and those owned by low-income residents of the Sosua area. Additionally, World Vets, a non-government organization providing veterinary aid around the globe in collaboration with animal advocacy groups, will be joining AAAS for a 3-day clinic in Sosua Abajo in February.

If you have any items that you would like to donate to the cause, please drop them off at either the AAAS Thrift Store (next to Checkpoint Bar in Sosua) or at AAAS? clinic (co-located with Judy?s Pet Lodge, next to Dr. Bob?s). You can also send an email to info@aaasosua.com if you cannot get to either location, but would like to donate. We will make arrangements with one of our volunteers for a pickup - within a reasonable distance.

During the World Vets clinic, our goal is to administer rabies vaccinations to every animal treated. At a cost of ~RD150 per shot, we will need nearly RD$22,500 (~US$585) to reach this goal. Therefore, monetary donations are needed and always welcome. Donations can be made at the AAAS Thrift Store or online via PayPal or by check (please visit the AAAS site at Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc. for all options). AAAS is a non-profit organization ? your donations may be tax-deductible.

AAAS, its volunteers, and the dogs and cats of Sosua sincerely thank you for your support!

I have a question : how do you check that the dog you are going to neuter is owned by a family with a low income?

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
I have a question : how do you check that the dog you are going to neuter is owned by a family with a low income?

Of course we'll get their last paystub and past 5 years' tax returns!:D Seriously - the intent of the clinic is to assist those who do not have the means to pay and we are doing some pre-advertising in the area in an attempt to target those individuals. We all know that there will be some people who will show up, in their high-dollar cars, and want their dogs/cats done for free. We will do our best to ask those people for a donation...and most of the time we have found, they give something. Those donations help to offset the costs of doing these clinics. Otherwise, one hopes for some integrity and we work around the rest.

Acira
My god, why make it so difficult?
Send a letter to each hotel or AI on the entire coast and ask for discarded linnen because every day there are tons of towels, sheets and table clothes not fit anymore for dressing the hotel.
ASK, all you can get is a no.​

The idea of approaching area hotels and AIs is a great one and definitely something we will follow up on - thank you!

We also recognize that there are individuals who would like to help out with things like this, so by putting the word out, it gives those who are so inclined to do so the information they need. Nothing difficult about that at all! :cheeky:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Of course we'll get their last paystub and past 5 years' tax returns!:D Seriously - the intent of the clinic is to assist those who do not have the means to pay and we are doing some pre-advertising in the area in an attempt to target those individuals. We all know that there will be some people who will show up, in their high-dollar cars, and want their dogs/cats done for free. We will do our best to ask those people for a donation...and most of the time we have found, they give something. Those donations help to offset the costs of doing these clinics. Otherwise, one hopes for some integrity and we work around the rest.

Oh, but they do not have to show up with their fancy car. I just paid the regular fee at Dr.Bob for neutering a viralata which I took into my home and my gardener told me, you should have waited and I could have gone with the little one and it was for free...makes me wonder how much that happens and how you deal with that.
It bothers me because every one that slips through who can afford it, is a place less for one who cannot afford it.

The idea of approaching area hotels and AIs is a great one and definitely something we will follow up on - thank you!

Your welcome.

We also recognize that there are individuals who would like to help out with things like this, so by putting the word out, it gives those who are so inclined to do so the information they need. Nothing difficult about that at all! :cheeky:

No indeed nothing difficult about that indeed but time consuming and I prefer to search for more efficient way's.

Kudos to the vets who volunteer to come over and do this!

Acira

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011

Oh, but they do not have to show up with their fancy car. I just paid the regular fee at Dr.Bob for neutering a viralata which I took into my home and my gardener told me, you should have waited and I could have gone with the little one and it was for free...makes me wonder how much that happens and how you deal with that.
It bothers me because every one that slips through who can afford it, is a place less for one who cannot afford it.

It bothers us too, but there is only so much one can do to control it. There are always those who will find a way to buck the system. Kudos to you for not using your gardener to do that! ;)

Your welcome.

No indeed nothing difficult about that indeed but time consuming and I prefer to search for more efficient way's. If you think of any other ways, please pass them along. All part of the value of a communication like this.

Kudos to the vets who volunteer to come over and do this!Acira
Agreed- couldn't do it without them!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
AAAS neutering program failed !

duitseherders.jpg

Sorry, I could not resist it, when a friend send me this pic. Just joking!

Keep up the good work.

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
You can always consider hiring me as a fund raiser ;)

Ah yes, it would be nice if we had the budget to do that, but we don't. Maybe you could donate your time and skills like the rest of us do?! :classic: