Salcedo, Moca, Tenares

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Happy New Year everyone!!!

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about Salcedo and its surounding areas MOCA, TENARES and San Fancisco de Macoris? Things to do, places to see, whats it like in that part of the country??

Thanks...

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Are you planning on driving through, spending a day or two, or spending more time. I spend most of my time in the DR in this part of the country. There is a day hiking trip up Loma Quita Espuela, Rizek has the Sendero de Cacao and there is the Museo de las Hermanas Mirebal. Great murals in Tenares and Salcedo. Pick any road going up the mountains and you have some very beautiful places to see. Each town has their Dominican York connection, some nice places to eat and shop, is very connected to rural agricultural production. It is more of a place to have projects/business going on in town, in the campo and enjoy family. Everyone seems to know everyone after you have been there a while.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about Salcedo and its surounding areas MOCA, TENARES and San Fancisco de Macoris? Things to do, places to see, whats it like in that part of the country??

Thanks...

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
I plan on staying for a few months at a time.. In 1968 my aunt bought a house in Salcedo for $1,000 pesos.. A nice sized 3 bedroom house with a back yard and everything.. My Grandmother lived there with her children aka my aunts and uncles and re-did most of the house over the years.. Since then all my family moved to the US and raised family of their own but we have kept the house in Salcedo all these years....My family is well known, well at least by the folks of their generation. Anyway, I love it there... Its laid back, crime isn't anything to crazy like in other parts of the country and it close to Santiago, Jarabacoa, Bonao. Costanza, and about 1 - 1/2 from Sosua beach and if thats not enough the woman are beautiful in Salcedo/Moca/Tenares.... Just sayin! lol

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You know the area then. I would recommend getting involved in some sort of project or business. All kinds of groups for the volunteer and civic minded and every type of agriculture or farming has their groups and organizations. Sounds like your family has the right connections to help penetrate the land and business owning culture. I enjoy connecting to the natural environment and learning about rural food production. Have been working with chocolate the last couple of years. My wife just returned from SFM this week and brought me back 10 lbs of chocolate paste. I have a couple of pounds in the melanger right now.