International SIM Question

jliep

Jan 1, 2012
I will be arriving in Punta Cana Jan.18 and would like to be able to purchase a SIM card so that I can call home. I will be staying at the Melia Caribe and am wondering if anyone knows if I can pick up a SIM card at the resort. I was hoping to purchase one prior to arriving but this does not seem possible. (??? is it?) I have an unlocked phone ready for the trip, just looking for a little guidance on how to get a card. Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You will have to leave the resort. Pretty much any Claro store can sell you one. There are stores everywhere. You can probably use Orange also, but Claro should do.

If you want to go to Bavaro Plaza which is not far from your hotel there is a small store around the corner from Steve's bar heading towards Fruisa on your right. The second Claro store that you come to is where I go all the time for things like this. The guy there will put it in your phone and make sure it works. You can buy some extra minutes there also.

jliep

Jan 1, 2012
Thank you -

Thank you for your reply. I do not mean to sound ignorant by any means but is this a safe area to travel to? I will most likely be traveling alone and just want to be sure. This is a company trip and they have given us the "you don't need to leave the resort" email. Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thank you for your reply. I do not mean to sound ignorant by any means but is this a safe area to travel to? I will most likely be traveling alone and just want to be sure. This is a company trip and they have given us the "you don't need to leave the resort" email. Thanks!

Probably a lot safer than where you are coming from. LOL

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
I will be arriving in Punta Cana Jan.18 and would like to be able to purchase a SIM card so that I can call home. I will be staying at the Melia Caribe and am wondering if anyone knows if I can pick up a SIM card at the resort. I was hoping to purchase one prior to arriving but this does not seem possible. (??? is it?) I have an unlocked phone ready for the trip, just looking for a little guidance on how to get a card. Thanks!

The closest place to buy one is in the claro store in Palma Real Shopping mall just a short walk from your hotels reception. It should cost 250 pesos for a sim with 100 pesos worth of credit. You basically don't need to leave the hotel grounds since the mall is essentially connected to your hotels grounds. Rest assured though that the area you will be staying in is very safe, just take the same precautions you would anywhere.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
To purchase a sim card you need to go direct to a Claro store or Orange like the others said. I have an Orange sim card
in my phone I bought from the Orabge store in front of Solo Pollo/Scotia bank. You would need to take the guagua or get a ride from the Melia. Orange and Claro both work.

highmarket

Jun 5, 2008
Is there a claro store close to the paradisius palma real as well? I read you need your passport to guy a sims card

cosoyoos

Jun 5, 2008
I have a Android cell ( HTC ) with Virgin Mobile in Canada ,is there any way to unlock my phone in Dominican without having to pay the outrageous prices in Canada b4 leaving next wk for Punta Cana ( January 9th). I have a cheap Dominican cell but like my phone better for txting also who is better to go with Claro or Orange for minutes? ( when I was there in 2010 I think I saw advertising somewhere's for another cell provider does anyone know of them )

Thanks for your help...........Punta Cana here I come ( no winter for this canadian girl lol )

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, explain yourself in Canada and they should give you the unlock code - or wwait until you're here and pay a small fee for the unlock.

My US Android cannot be unlocked inside the US... needs to be outside the country.
Verizon gave me the code (brand new phone) to use once in RD.

Then , its just a SIM card