los rios

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Used the search function came up empty,any insight on los rios,Santo Domingo centro,even though it looks more like the north part instead.pros and cons,middle class,barrio? Thanks in advance...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Los Rios" is not a bad place to live.It may have poorer sections,but lots of nice houses and apt.buildings.
Considered a nice place to live in SD.
I would live there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
that's why I figured

"Los Rios" is not a bad place to live.It may have poorer sections,but lots of nice houses and apt.buildings.
Considered a nice place to live in SD.
I would live there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I was browsing in supercasas and it look like a nice residential area with nice homes,also considering thatbis next door to AH,I thought i cant be that bad

May 12, 2005
It is a mixed area. Very nice houses and apartments but as you get closer to AH, it becomes a little less middle class and more of a barrio. That is one of the funny things about SD, you can be in a great area and 1 or 2 blocks away is a barrio, then a few more blocks you are back in a nicer area.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
It is a mixed area. Very nice houses and apartments but as you get closer to AH, it becomes a little less middle class and more of a barrio. That is one of the funny things about SD, you can be in a great area and 1 or 2 blocks away is a barrio, then a few more blocks you are back in a nicer area.

Frank,I really thought that Arroyo Hondo was one of the better neighbourhoods in SD.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Frank,I really thought that Arroyo Hondo was one of the better neighbourhoods in SD.

All depends if it's I, II or III, all have some very nice developments. Most of the low end barrios are after you cross Av. Zoologico. Some of the most expensive property in Santo Domingo is in Arroyo Hondo.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
All depends if it's I, II or III, all have some very nice developments. Most of the low end barrios are after you cross Av. Zoologico. Some of the most expensive property in Santo Domingo is in Arroyo Hondo.

thank you all for this clarification,I will keep on researching more via gmaps.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That's pretty much applicable to the entire DR...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I live in Arroyo Hondo,next to the National Zoo.
There is a "Barrio Caliente",(Poor Crime infested" barrio,"La Puya de Arroyo Hondo",2 blocks away.
That.s OK with me.Lots of "Colmados",bakeries,pharmacies,little stores,and BEST OF ALL,really beautiful young,extremely poor,desperate,(Did I Say BEAUTIFUL?) Dominican girls live there.
"What A Country"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
!

There is a "Barrio Caliente",(Poor Crime infested" barrio,"La Puya de Arroyo Hondo",2 blocks away.
That.s OK with me.Lots of "Colmados",bakeries,pharmacies,little stores,and BEST OF ALL,really beautiful young,extremely poor,desperate,(Did I Say BEAUTIFUL?) Dominican girls live there.
"What A Country"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Lmao!

May 12, 2005
The main road that goes through Los Rios (called "la Circumvencion by the residents, but on maps is Sol Poniente, but is really Col.Francisco lara according to the streets signs, until you hit Ave. Columbia, then it's Carlos Perez Ricart)is very low income, but turn off of it and go west, and you hit upper middle class homes like you would never imagine.

That upper middle class area is home to quite a few upper level gov't officials and police.

Once you're on Carlos Perez Ricart, it becomes lower high class(is there such a thing??)

All though Northern Santo Domingo, you can find dozens of areas with million dollar houses on one side of the road, and barrios across the street. It's really something to see.

JD, my point exactly from my earlier post. Thank that unit for the back Central. I tried to post a screen shot of google earth for Los Rios but was unsuccessful.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Well Frank,in your "earlier post",you called "Los Rios","Definately a poorer bario".
JD has a different "take".
Just say'n.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Los Rios? Hah, i grew up not far from there during the 70's (1978 to 1981). I went back and forth between living there with my Uncle & Aunt, and Bonao inside a shoebox built out of corrugated tin, cardboard, mud, and Palm leaf. In their infinite wisdom, my parents deported me from the USA to these areas in 1978 to get away from Hash brownies, Catnip, Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR), and Beaver, not neccessarily in that order. I was obsessed with three of the four.

Yeah, i know the place well--Cobraboy and Frank the Tank are right...these areas of SD are basically, for lack of a better word, The Beverly Hillbillies meets Escape from New York. Some places are exactly like Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness--so deep into the jungle that not even Colonel Walter E. Kurtz would venture inside them on a good day, while at the same time, only one block over you are on Rodeo drive in Beverly Hills, Ferraris and Porsches and all.

It's really hard to get a feel for the neighborhood from Google maps. you really have to go directly to the location and drive around in an armored, reinforced car in order to get a feel for the street that you are interested in living on.

Frank

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Fair Enough"!
I stayed in the USA,and enjoyeed all of your "Vices!
"Vice,is NICE"!
I only liked the "Hong Kong Rock" in "HK" better!
The best thing about a "Miss Spent Youth",is that I got it all out of my system.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 12, 2005
Well Frank,in your "earlier post",you called "Los Rios","Definately a poorer bario".
JD has a different "take".
Just say'n.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I should have said sections of............

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
JD,I was agreeing with you,in my own convoluted way!
I live in "Las Colinas" just above the ZooDom,stop by.
"Must Love Barking Dogs"!!!!!
And "Yelling Kids"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Criss Colon & JD,

I have not been to the botanical gardens since 1977; is it still nice? Is it worth the drive all the way from Cabarete on my John Deere riding lawn mower with my girlfriend in tow?

There's nothing there for her to shoplift is there?

Frank

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I guess.....

"What A Country"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I guess its likenyou said CC,the only neighbourhood not surrounded by the "hood"is los cacicazgos