Optometrist or Optician

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobe531

Mar 26, 2010
Is there an optometrist or an optician anywhere in the Sosua Area? In my previous visits to Sosua I have noticed that all Dominicans appear to have perfect vision, I have not seen any local wearing glasses!!

If not a full fledged optician is there somewhere I can at least get reading glasses or should I stock up in the US before going down? I normally have an extra pair but I lost a pair New Years eve, wonder how that happened?

I was going to order another pair but if I can get them in the DR I think they would be cheaper in the DR.

Thanks BobE

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Is there an optometrist or an optician anywhere in the Sosua Area? In my previous visits to Sosua I have noticed that all Dominicans appear to have perfect vision, I have not seen any local wearing glasses!!

If not a full fledged optician is there somewhere I can at least get reading glasses or should I stock up in the US before going down? I normally have an extra pair but I lost a pair New Years eve, wonder how that happened?

Thanks BobE

Both are located in POP.

Dr. Carlos Juan Burroughs P. 809 586 4330 and is located in the centro medico buiilding .

The optica Panorama is 1 block away and have a great selection of glasses I have there business card with 3 locations but their numbers are 809 586 4118 , 809 586 4119 and 809 586 4117 if you call and ask which is located near centro medico

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What do you want, prescription glasses or just the magnified reading glasses?

If you want your eyes professionally checked I can recommend the ophthalmologist that I go to at Centro Medico Bournigal in POP. She charges RD$1000 for eye exam.

Magnified reading glasses are readily available, however, I buy mine when I go to the US to visit family because they are cheaper. At Walmart you can get one of those packages of 3 glasses for just a few dollars.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I'd bring them down. At the thieves market at Jolly Roger there sometimes is someone who sells reader glasses for 100 pesos. Not sure the strength.

cosoyoos

Jun 5, 2008
I am travelling to Punta Cana ( will be staying in el cortecito area )next week and would like to see Opthalmologist while there, have been many times to the Dr so know my way around a bit ,is this Dr close by and what is her telephone # please,also what is the cost for prescription glasses there?

Thanks look forward to your reply & the hot sun of Punta Cana........

What do you want, prescription glasses or just the magnified reading glasses?

If you want your eyes professionally checked I can recommend the ophthalmologist that I go to at Centro Medico Bournigal in POP. She charges RD$1000 for eye exam.

Magnified reading glasses are readily available, however, I buy mine when I go to the US to visit family because they are cheaper. At Walmart you can get one of those packages of 3 glasses for just a few dollars.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's an 8-hour drive from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata, but worry not, there are also some opticians in the Punta Cana area.

For example:
Optica Issa, Plaza Sol B?varo, Ver?n - B?varo highway
Tel: 829 890 6034 / 809 258 9006

Optica Winkler - also in Plaza Sol B?varo
829 477 2020/ 809 224 6655

OPTICA LOPEZ
San Juan Shopping Center, near Coco Loco crossing
Tel: 809 466 2063

bobe531

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks to all of you for the info. I was looking for prescriptions glasses (bifocals), reading glasses are a fall back since distance vision is okay its my medium and close up vision which is shot. I will give the doctors a try.

Ken you mentioned an ophthalmologist in POP you go to. Does she also do laser surgery? I need to have my right eye looked at to get a new lens implant (had cataracts, this getting old is for the birds). Also do you have a name and phone number for her?

Thanks all, BobE

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks to all of you for the info. I was looking for prescriptions glasses (bifocals), reading glasses are a fall back since distance vision is okay its my medium and close up vision which is shot. I will give the doctors a try.

Ken you mentioned an ophthalmologist in POP you go to. Does she also do laser surgery? I need to have my right eye looked at to get a new lens implant (had cataracts, this getting old is for the birds). Also do you have a name and phone number for her?

Thanks all, BobE

Yes, she does. I suggest you see her. She speaks English if patient does not speak Spanish. She was highly recommended to me by a doctor I have a lot of confidence in. Her name is Dra. Daisy Sanchez; office in Centro Medico Bournigal in POP; office 809-261-5591; cel 809-710-2790.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, she does. I suggest you see her. She speaks English if patient does not speak Spanish. She was highly recommended to me by a doctor I have a lot of confidence in. Her name is Dra. Daisy Sanchez; office in Centro Medico Bournigal in POP; office 809-261-5591; cel 809-710-2790.

As an optometrist myself, by training and having had a practice for 15 years, I will pay her a visit as I need a new lens implant myself due to cataract. I will let you guys know my impression.

An ophtalmologist in STI left a very favourable impression, but the distance driving back after surgery, leaves me a little worried

topdeckgames

Oct 26, 2011
Do you have an idea what the cost for lens implants are for cataracts? I was just diagnosed yesterday, and will be in POP/Sos for 5 weeks starting Jan 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.