Sending a TV to the DR?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Is there a cheap way of sending a TV to the DR?

I wanted to purchase a 42" TV, but the prices here are a bit more expensive than in the US. And sending it via picknsend or eps is a definite no-no.

What other options do I have?

Thanks,

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
V,

You don't have many options, especially as the size of the screen gets bigger. Over the Christmas holidays, Plaza Lama advertised a 40" Sharp AQUOS for approximately $RD 37K (or $1,000 USD). Sure, you can buy that on Amazon for $750, but when you add the $250 for shipping, you didn't save any money but added frustration to your life. Good deals can be found, if you're patient and are willing to look around. Save yourself the aggravation and the wait! Buy your big screens in DR!

Preston

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
V,

You don't have many options, especially as the size of the screen gets bigger. Over the Christmas holidays, Plaza Lama advertised a 40" Sharp AQUOS for approximately $RD 37K (or $1,000 USD). Sure, you can buy that on Amazon for $750, but when you add the $250 for shipping, you didn't save any money but added frustration to your life. Good deals can be found, if you're patient and are willing to look around. Save yourself the aggravation and the wait! Buy your big screens in DR!

Preston
Is that how much they are currently charging to send a 42" TV? $250? I thought it was a lot more.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
V,

Preston

More importantly,you want your warranty to be in DR

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
"Is that how much they are currently charging to send a 42" TV? $250? I thought it was a lot more."

When my friend relocated in '09, that's what we paid to ship a 42" TV. But we also sent several other boxes, a washing maching, and dishwasher with this shipper, so we could've recieved a break. I should have said "$250 - minimum!" The bottom line is that, in general, it does not pay to ship a TV to DR.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
V,

Preston

IMO, I wouldn't buy a TV in the DR. Alot of their stuff is refurbished and sold as new...there is no aggravation to sending a TV from the States, I sent 2 Sony Bravias (42" and 46") with the shipping price, for less than the cost of the same 46" in DR. So I got 2 NEW TVs, and shipped them for less than the price of one in Santiago

Is that how much they are currently charging to send a 42" TV? $250? I thought it was a lot more.
It is more.

More importantly,you want your warranty to be in DR
For what? A Dominican can fix anything with a rock and a stick.

SHALENA

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Do you have any idea on how much it would be to send a 50", a 40" and a 26"?

IMO, I wouldn't buy a TV in the DR. Alot of their stuff is refurbished and sold as new...there is no aggravation to sending a TV from the States, I sent 2 Sony Bravias (42" and 46") with the shipping price, for less than the cost of the same 46" in DR. So I got 2 NEW TVs, and shipped them for less than the price of one in Santiago

It is more.

For what? A Dominican can fix anything with a rock and a stick.

SHALENA

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I sent 2 Sony Bravias (42" and 46") with the shipping price, for less than the cost of the same 46" in DR. So I got 2 NEW TVs, and shipped them for less than the price of one in Santiago

SHALENA

What shipper did you use? That is one of the things the OP is asking about.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
my two cents:

42" an under - not worth bringing in from the states

Anything bigger than this - use a mudanza company and they'll work their magic.

Remember that most big name brands carry international warranty. Long gone are the days where you need to buy it here to get it repaired here.