sosua barbers trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what happened to the nice man that used to run the barbers next to super super- Ive never had a problem in there until today .

I got used to walking in and just sitting down for a haircut without asking the price first as was always charged 150 which i realise is more than dominicans pay, but was happy to pay this plus tip

today the new person asked for 500 , in a quiet voice while the usual person was out , i queried the amount that it had gone up lol , so he changed to 350 , oh well i thought , may as well pay and not go back, then he asked for a 50 peso tip.

didnt like to make a fuss but wondered if this was happening to other people

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
by the way i usually ask the price first in new places but felt safe in this one - lesson learnt, always ask

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Just like the maleteros in the airport. When they put their hand out and ask for a tip, I don't tip them and I tell them why I didn't tip them. If they are helpful without their outstretched hand then they will get a few bucks.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I've trained my favorites at the airport. They help me, my wife, kids and anyone I call for them to help. They are never tipped. But when I come thru I hand each of them a brand new $100 bill. That takes me though about 6 months of sending everyone from grandma to house guests who all get amazing personalized service. Works for me!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
what happened to the nice man that used to run the barbers next to super super- Ive never had a problem in there until today .

I got used to walking in and just sitting down for a haircut without asking the price first as was always charged 150 which i realise is more than dominicans pay, but was happy to pay this plus tip

today the new person asked for 500 , in a quiet voice while the usual person was out , i queried the amount that it had gone up lol , so he changed to 350 , oh well i thought , may as well pay and not go back, then he asked for a 50 peso tip.

didnt like to make a fuss but wondered if this was happening to other people

So he asked for an exorbitant amount, then brought it down to more than TWICE your usual amount, all in a "Quiet" voice?

And he asked for a tip after that.

Wow were you taken in!

I would have responded on his first request in a LOUD voice: $500 Pesos!!!!!!!!!!

There are times to be quiet and there are times to speak up!
Now you are just another ex-pat being (quietly) fleeced.

If your regular man still works there, be sure to stop in and tell him WHY he lost a customer!!!!!!!!!!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
In my Barber shop he had put up price list for various service. Little bit costlier but I assume everyone is paying that price not me alone.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In my Barber shop he had put up price list for various service. Little bit costlier but I assume everyone is paying that price not me alone.
Andres, accross from La Roca has been cutting my hair for the past several years. He charges 500.00. Once or twice I tried the cheaper salons and regretted it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Andres, accross from La Roca has been cutting my hair for the past several years. He charges 500.00. Once or twice I tried the cheaper salons and regretted it.

I go to the "WAHL" shop located in my dresser (Pre-paid).

Finishing touch up by esposa, free......

Don

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I go to a unisex shop in Sosua and have a good looking woman cut my hair for a lot less than RD$500.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Just like the maleteros in the airport. When they put their hand out and ask for a tip, I don't tip them and I tell them why I didn't tip them. If they are helpful without their outstretched hand then they will get a few bucks.
So are these "maleteros" to whom you are referring the baggage handlers that are just wearing regular clothing or the guys wearing the official looking shirts? And do the official guys get a paycheck or just work for tips? I assume the guys with no "uniform" are just working for tips, but is that correct?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I never tip anybody that asks for a tip.
We had this problem last time we came into POP. We had a specific taxi driver meeting us. When we were waiting for him to bring his cab around to the front (he had had to park while waiting for our late plane), a guy starting hanging around us obviously waiting to help load the car. No problem, but we didn't actually need help as it was only 2 of us and my hubby and taxi driver could easily do it. Anyway, taxi pulls up, bags get loaded by all 3 men and I tip the guy; the guy turns and walks away (or so I thought). I get busy turning on my phone and settling into the car, but hubby is still outside the car? So I look up and there's the guy again with his hand out and hubby is tipping the guy again! I asked my husband about it after it's over because it just happen to quickly to get his attention. Husband says the guy asked him for a tip and said I didn't tip him ENOUGH! I was then sorry I hadn't run him off......we didn't even want nor need his help, but I felt like it wouldn't kill us to let him earn some money. He didn't do much because there were 2 other men loading the car and only 4 bags......so much for being kind! It's not the money that offends me; it's the cheekiness of this demand for a bigger tip!

Anyway, I need some polite,simple, easy to remember but effective Spanish phrases for how to handle this if it happens again. I am taking Spanish lessons, but far from able to think fast enough to form sentences on the fly.

And what should we be tipping should we actually want their assistance? I wish I could remember what I gave him for certain, but I think it was 100 pesos. Maybe I was too cheap?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i could probably cut my own blind folded and get the same result so may try that next time

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
so what happened to the original nice man ? does anyone know

If it's the barber i'm thinking of, he went back to Santiago a long time ago, like 8 months ago (maybe longer). He did come back for a little while but, for some reason, went back home again. If it's the same guy, he too cut my hair, and i also paid him $150 for cutting the three remaining strands of hair left on my head.

He was a shortish guy, very, very polite, extrmemely pleasant, and with a fanatastic disposition and easy going peronsality. but he's been gone a long time now. of course, i'm referring to the barber shop driectly next to Super, Super and the bank (BHD??).

Frank

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I go to the "WAHL" shop located in my dresser (Pre-paid).

Finishing touch up by esposa, free......

Don

I have always used these but I bought my latest in England, got it here and don't have enough power to get it buzzing. Bugger as my hair is getting a bit wild.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Jarabacoa - 100-200 pesos depending on location. Lots of barbers with experience cutting straight or semi-straight hair as a percentage of locals have straight hair. I go to a woman 2 minutes from the house that practises her English with me and collects $ from my wife later.

Status
Not open for further replies.