Advice for shipping smaller packages to the DR from USA?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
There are bits and pieces of great advice about shipping small items (under the $200 customs limit if that is a correct limit.....I do not know that for certain) from USA to DR. But they are scattered in the threads and forums as far as I can tell. I have seen them in the past and, at the time, I didn't need them.

However, now that I need a new external hard drive, I am searching DR1 but spending lots of time doing it without finding what I know is in here......somewhere.

OK, it could be "operator error" in using the advanced search. So please enlighten me for how to narrow it down to something that will answer my needs, which are: Amazon.com shipment of external harddrive costing about US$150 to someplace in or near Cabarete/Sosua where I will pick it up. We have Amazon Prime, so I can ship to a USA base of a reshipper to the DR for free, but I have no account with such a reshipper and don't expect to need one very often. Is there a way to get either an account or do just a one-time ship done easily while I am in the DR? And what are my choices of reshippers and what do people here think of them for competetive prices, quality of service, problems or not, etc.

I know this kind of info is scattered about on DR1, but I am having trouble finding it when I need it, even with advanced search. Therefore, anyone else think a Sticky would be valuable? It would be easier to keep it current and great place to post good and bad experiences......just a low price is not the whole story.:cross-eye

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I use transexpress.com, set up an account there online, and then it ships from anywhere in the US to a Florida address assigned to you. It then is couriered over to Santo Domingo. You don't say where you are, if in SD it gets delivered to you; if on the North Coast, ie Sosua area it comes into Vimenca which has a place within the Western Union office. So long as it's under $200 no customs. I've been using this service for 4 years and am quite pleased. Usual cost is somwhere around $3.50 a pound.

Hope this helps. They also (transexpress) have an 800 # you can call for info.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
North Coast? Only person to see is Marc over at Rocky's in Sos?a. Forget everything else until you talk to Marc. Okay? EOS!

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you import a new disk, Transexpress in the Western Union office is a fine way to go.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Also, if you want, I am returning to Santiago in a week (exactly) so if you want to ship it to me, I can "mule" it for you. PM me for how to do that.

HB