Taino Indian Heads in Santo Domingo?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I met a lady today who was asking me if I knew anything about thse Taino Indian heads that were being sold in the "old" part of Santo Domingo.. I have no idea, but does ANYONE know? Looking for the place, name, phone number? Or just a direction..

Thanks

Jul 4, 2010
You're probably referring to a Taino Cem?, usually a stone carving in the shape of a human head. By the way, I have a genuine one, and would be willing to find it another home.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why not donate the "head", to the "Domenican Man" Museum in Santo Domingo?
It's alway good to return stolen artifacts to their country of origen.
Cris Colon

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
You're probably referring to a Taino Cem?, usually a stone carving in the shape of a human head. By the way, I have a genuine one, and would be willing to find it another home.

Is it legal to find the genuine head a home in a differemt country or will that be artifact smuggling. And is it possible to get a visa to the states just for a Dominican head?

Makedocreative

Dec 4, 2011
Wow! imagine?! 5,000 yr old artifacts of a lost nation sold like t-shirts. Please, consider a museum or a university where they will be preserved and studied.

Jul 4, 2010
Why not donate the "head", to the "Domenican Man" Museum in Santo Domingo?
It's alway good to return stolen artifacts to their country of origen.
Cris Colon

For the record, I have not 'stolen' an archeological artifact. I found it myself, in a rural area south of San Juan de la Maguana. I have not taken it out of the country, it's in my home, here, in Las Lomas de Azua, Dominican Republic. Also, I didn't say I own it, I said I have it. I understand that all archeological artifacts belong to the state, however, anyone is allowed to possess it, and the Museo del Hombre Dominicano (Anthropological Museum of the Dominican Republic) would wish to register it, and may requiere it for exhibition purposes. This works the same way for gun ownership in the Dominican Repubic. The DR government issues a a person a permit to possess and/or carry a weapon, however, the fine print reads that the state owns all guns. So, anyone wishes to 'adopt' a genuine Taino Cem??