From South Africa to DR!!!

Johan Erasmus

Sep 19, 2011
Will post some Q: soon for now just to introduce myself!! My name is Johan, 28, restaurant manager for the past 7 years, worked in America for 3 years as a country club manager and currently looking for a new oppertunity in DR. I live in Bavaro, nice little appartment already made friends with a "cacata" he lifted up his legs to shake hands but i had to evict him due to a screaming wife ( i did it in a nice way) i love nature and DR realy remind me of my ex-home. Just bought myself a new litte picanto 2012 sport and almost made friends with a tourist bus my first day on the road (felt right at home!!!) but appart from all the excitement ive come accross the past 3 months there is nothing better than the beach, but i would like to know if there is some good fishing spots as my fishing rod is starting to gather dust, i love snorkeling and spearfishing but its way to expensive for the boats here in bavaro to take you where some good spearfishing sites are. I must say the biggest excitement is the snorkeling, i have found 30 big cong shells they are beautifull but dont know what to do with them, any ideas?? Hope to make some good friends soon!!! cheers Johan:classic:

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Any african (rich/poor, northern, southern, sub-saharan/ west e.t.c) still has the image of that hungry manultrited boy with a protuding belly and big popping eyes. So no need to create regional/ continental lines :)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Welcome to DR1!

Visiting South Africa has been on my "bucket" list since college, so some day . . . . Will be interested in hearing what specifically about the DR reminds you of home.

As you are planning to stay long term, I'd try to make friends with the locals. You may find someone who just likes to fish and/or has a small boat. (Invest in your own life jacket). Much easier to chip in for gas and Presidentes.

Enjoy the East, and welcome!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think he is South African not African

Last time I checked a south Africa was in Africa, therefore they are African.

If you base it on color, well Dominican don't look like Jamaican, yet they are both Caribbean, right ? Same logic in Africa :)

extreme

Nov 21, 2011
here we go again....................................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Welcome, from one South African to another! BTW, for those that appear "confused", Africa is a continent and not a country:cheeky:

Mar 1, 2009
Welcome my African brother! I'm happy you call the DR home, it's a great place though not as vast as SA, it's still pretty spacious. Plus if you want to see Africa in the Caribbean we got huge African diaspora in Ay-Ay-Ayti & our very own black Dominicans, no giraffes and no elephants, but plenty of tigeres, hahahahaha !!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No tigres in Africa, at least not of the four-legged variety! A warm Caribbean welcome to the OP. :)

Johan Erasmus

Sep 19, 2011
Been a while since my first post, was happy to see the response today!! I'm 90% SOUTH African and after 9 months i can gladly say i've adapted 10% !! Life in DR have been interesting so far, pi-canto is still in one piece but had to tint the windows pitch black cause a "gringo" on the road is a warm welcome to road side salesman! Most important set back so far is the language "jackichang i do speak some Zulu but my language is Afrikaans" I'm finding it very difficult to learn Spanish, especially at the pace Dominicans speak, its incredible!! Still hunting for a "decent" job, no luck yet!!