How to use Wi-Fi at home via Smartphone without being charged?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi all,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace Smartphone at Orange. Setting it up to use my wi-fi at home happened almost automatically and worked without problems... Thought I...

Today I was noticed I have no sufficient credit to connect to the internet. Obviously I had a free to use 2 mb credit or so to browse the internet. And while I was thinking I was using my wi-fi, it was using 3g and now it does not connect to wi-fi without recharge. Mind you: my own home network. To use it I would need to buy minutes from Orange? Is this a joke?

What can I do now? I wanted the phone, I don't care for Orange or whatever provider. Primarily I want to use it at home via my wifi using skype. What to do know? Do I have to unlock it? I tried to set it up again, but can't establish connection anymore.

Any ideas how to resolve that?

Thanks in advance...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
WiFi will work if your phone is WiFi capable. Just turn the WiFi on...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It is capable, I could set my network up. But since out of credit it won't connect like it should. Could the phone have problems with the router all of a sudden?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
These are the instructions from my phone:

? Activate the WLAN feature
In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings →
Wireless and networks → Wi-Fi settings → Wi-Fi.
An active WLAN running in the background will
consume battery power. To preserve battery power,
activate the WLAN only when needed.
Find and connect to a WLAN ?
In Idle mode, open the application list and select 1 Settings
→ Wireless and networks → Wi-Fi settings.
The device will automatically search for available WLANs.
Select a network under 2 Wi-Fi networks.
Enter a password for the network (if necessary). 3
Select 4 Connect.
Add a WLAN manually ?
In Idle mode, open the application list and select 1 Settings
→ Wireless and networks → Wi-Fi settings → Add Wi-
Fi network.
Enter the SSID for the network and select the security 2
type.
Set the security settings depending on the selected 3
security type.
Select 4 Save.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Stuck at "Obtaining IP adress from...." disconnects... Entered phone MAC adress into router

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Stuck at "Obtaining IP adress from...." disconnects... Entered phone MAC adress into router

If its an android os,go to settings,wireless network,make sure,where it says mobile network,check that off,then turn on your WiFi.if you recharge the phone again,make sure"mobile network"is off,that way your WiFi would be the primary source

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I think one has nothing to do with the other. Even without a sim card your smart phone should work wifi.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo has a samsung galaxy and he fiddles with it all the time :)
he is asking:
1. what OS do you have? 2.2 or 2.3?
2. do you have wi-fi tethering on?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"1. what OS do you have? 2.2 or 2.3?"

Do you know the code that makes the phone showing me the version?

"2. do you have wi-fi tethering on?"

No, I don't want to connect my computer via smartphone to the Internet, I want to go online with my phone using my wireless network at home.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

Usually if you get stuck at obtaining an IP address it is due to an incorrect Wifi password. Just to double check, are you sure you know what your wifi SSID (name of the wireless) and password are? Sometimes if there is an open unsecured network it can try to connect to that one instead of yours.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Usually if you get stuck at obtaining an IP address it is due to an incorrect Wifi password. Just to double check, are you sure you know what your wifi SSID (name of the wireless) and password are? Sometimes if there is an open unsecured network it can try to connect to that one instead of yours.

No, definitely not the pw or another network. Maybe phone has problems with "wep"? But I don't want to use unsecured network...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Do you have any other wifi devices connected to the router? Sometimes a reset of the router is in order.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Stuck at "Obtaining IP adress from...." disconnects...

I've had the same problem and I believe it's an Android bug (IP address conflict) that surface occasionally when moving from one router to another. I found one way that "fixed" it.. "Factory Data Reset" under Settings > Privacy, but you will lose all you have installed in the phone. I've done it many times, couldn't figure out an "intelligent" solution to the problem. I have been told setting "static IP" will work but I could never get it working. I used to have problems with one specific router.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Stuck at "Obtaining IP adress from...." disconnects...

I've had the same problem and I believe it's an Android bug (IP address conflict) that surface occasionally when moving from one router to another. I found one way that "fixed" it.. "Factory Data Reset" under Settings > Privacy, but you will lose all you have installed in the phone. I've done it many times, couldn't figure out an "intelligent" solution to the problem. I have been told setting "static IP" will work but I could never get it working. I used to have problems with one specific router.

Since my phone is still a "virgin" I can't loose any apps or else, I will give this a try. Thank you!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Connecting a WiFi-capable phone to a wireless router should be a slam dunk.

Just turn on the phone's WiFi. If the router is on, it should find it. Then type in the WEP password.

There should be no "searching for IP..."

It sounds like the OP is truing to access the WiFi through the data connection, not the WiFi.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Connecting a WiFi-capable phone to a wireless router should be a slam dunk.

Just turn on the phone's WiFi. If the router is on, it should find it. Then type in the WEP password.

There should be no "searching for IP..."

Like I said before, the phone recognized the connection etc. I am not thaaat dumb! It cannot finish establishing the connection it keeps saying "Searching for IP". Anyway I google'd it further and it seems that there is an issue btwn Samsung Galaxy Ace and setting "WEP" on the router.

Since it seems not to be "Orange-related" like I have thought first I think I will try the different security settings on the router seeing if it will eventually allow a connection. Thanks all!

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Android phones do "Obtaining IP address" for a couple of seconds, I have three of them they all do the same.