Need computer help? I'm happy to help out a fellow DR1 member...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Hello to all!!! I want to follow through with something I have long wanted to do for fellow DR1 members. The knowledge I have received on this forum has helped me a great deal, and I feel it is only fair that I return the favor with my field of expertise.

I will be posting some of the techniques I use to keep PC's running lean and mean. I have tips for Mac as well...I am very familiar with working on and fixing Macs, but honestly that is not my specialty.

If you have any questions on pc's, networking, wifi, virus removal, etc, just post them here. I have a failrly extensive IT background...but if I don't know it, I can at least point you in the right direction.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I posted this elsewhere, but I am going to keep all my tips on this thread.

TIP: WIRELESS ROUTERS

I have a great tip for the members here regarding wifi routers. You can turn your cheepie $60 router into an enterprise class $600 router using a simple firmware update. The project is called DD-WRT and what they do is replace the often buggy factory software (firmware) with one that is much more stable and has a staggering amount of options.

I have actually grabbed left for dead routers and brought them back to life with this updated firmware...breathing new life into these devices and continued duty.

Pro's: It is more stable than factory software, gives added functionality, and the best part...its free!

Gotcha's: If you mess up the process, you could render your router useless. Reading and following the instructions makes this almost foolproof. Also it probably voids any warranty.

NOTE: Just wanted to expand on some of the additional controls you get...Only give access to someone (kids?) during certain hours, filter some websites so they can't go to them (Facebook?)...run a VPN service straight from your router that way you can access Hulu, Pandora, and other websites that are US only, from ALL devices in your home (PS3, XBOX?)...run a WIFI Hotspot...and much more

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where u located? Are you in country or "overseas"???

I am about to set up a "repeater" for my home wifi system to extend the range. It will be interesting, I am thinking.

HB

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Hey HB...my permanent residence is in Miami. What repeater are you going to use? Some of them, such as the Apple Express, are kind of easy to setup, but it cuts down the available wifi bandwidth by HALF.

I have had great experiences with PowerLine network extenders for extreme ease of setup and reliability. For my own home, I have a high powered Cisco Aironet access point and a hacked DD-WRT Linksys router. If any birdies come close to that Cisco, I might find a pair of fried drumsticks!!

For my home here and in DR, I am contemplating switching from that setup to using a Wireless Mesh network (Wikipedia article). It has better support for high bandwidth applications, like streaming movies. I am a movie/music aficionado and have a central server with all my media and I stream it everywhere possible, even in DR when I'm there.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
DD-WRT firmware upgrades on those cheap linksys are perfect for small business, being the only downfall the unreliability of the linksys hardware itself, not the firmware. I was setting up VPN connections using DD-WRT on cheapos linksys left and right both in the DR and here before I got the Full Time Job.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Nice way to make your own gig!

Even though the most supported brand is Linksys, they support all sorts of different manufacturers. Linksys has historically been a crap shoot in terms of reliability...although since Cisco bought them out they have been MUCH better.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
TIP: UBUNTU (Linux Operating System)

UBUNTU Is a Free Linux based operating system that you load onto a pc, just like you would Windows. It is a free alternative to Windows that is HIGHLY resistant to viruses, allows you to download from a free library of software, and runs great...even on old outdated hardware. I would HIGHLY suggest to anyone contemplating the switch over to run it as a "Live CD" first. You can download it directly from their website.

What a Live CD does is just temporarily runs Ubuntu so you can check it out without making any changes to your system. Just reboot your pc without the cd in the drive and your system is back to normal.

Feeling bolder? Want to make the permanent switch over? Make sure to backup ALL your data...you do have a backup anyway right? If not, then use a thumb drive, cd, dvd, external hard drive, etc,... then boot to the disc and select the full installation option. They do have an excellent tutorial on their website, for those inclined to read it :cheeky:

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Hello PeteyPablo,

Why would I install UBUNTU? I have used Linux on a live CD, but I really didn’t see any advantage in having anything but Windows. Wireless Mesh, I wish I can organize one in my small city of Miami Springs with some neighbors, and kick out Comcast and AT&T and install a microwave link to the internet. Dreams ……

stingray73s

Oct 8, 2011
I often get the same message as Derfish... ""windows reports that you are using 244Megabobbles of memory" . I refuse to use Norton...had probs years ago, so now I use AVG..but the paid version. I only started having this message pop up in the last couple of months...any idea what it is?

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Tips are cool. But one has to have a base in computereeze to make any sense out of tips.My computer comes up with some weird things I've never seen before. "windows reports that you are using 244Megabobbles of memory" I think so what? How do I avoid this in the future. Everytime I take my computer in to someone to fix it I ask them to put Norton on it. They always say YES. When I pick it up they always have installed AVG. "It's free!" They tell me!
Where are you? Do you clean out viruses? Are you available in person to answer questions? I'm offering to pay here. My computer since the last clean up cannot read my camera's memory. The guy who "fixed it" says one has to have a cable for that which he will gladly sell me. But it didn't need such before!
I'm near Puerto Plata. Are you in the area?
Der Fish

Let me see if we can help. It’s also best if you open a new Thread.

What operating system are you using?
What program are you using your camera with?
What camera brand and model number do you have?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hello PeteyPablo,

Why would I install UBUNTU? I have used Linux on a live CD, but I really didn’t see any advantage in having anything but Windows. Wireless Mesh, I wish I can organize one in my small city of Miami Springs with some neighbors, and kick out Comcast and AT&T and install a microwave link to the internet. Dreams ……

A few reasons.
- Linux will run much faster on older dated hardware than Windows
- Virtually virus free (like dem Apples are)
- Continuous free software updates.
- Many free applications are available
- Not having to upgrade to the next version of Windows and needing new programs since your old ones are no longer compatible with the new Windows version.

There are other reasons such as being able to tailor a "real-time" system, but the normal user of Linux need not get into that to share the benefits of a truly open operating system.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
I see, I still prefer windows due to the applications I need to run, and the free programs you can get for Linux doesn’t make me a convert, but I do like the idea about resurrecting older hardware. thanks for the info.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I see, I still prefer windows due to the applications I need to run, and the free programs you can get for Linux doesn’t make me a convert, but I do like the idea about resurrecting older hardware. thanks for the info.

Chellow, glad you liked the info, but none of us are here to "sell you" on using anything. Review the info myself or others offer and try it out if you like. Take it for what is is....I am volunteering my time and knowledge here to help those that WANT it.

The last thing I care to start is a discussion debating one's preference for hardware or software. Respectfully, I have better things to do with my time.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
TIP: ERROR MESSAGES

If you provide the ACTUAL error message you get, it makes things easier for ANY tech to help you. I am volunteering my time here guys. Please make it easy and give the the exact error you get!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I got a tip for you, buy a MAC! Then you can focus on the important stuff, rather than worry about memory errors, viruses, spyware, blue screen of death death etc.

Hillbilly, just read an article by the Google Vice President Marissa Mayer.
She started out using a Netgear repeater setup and had problems, so went to an Apple Airport setup, the rest is history!

I was really impressed with Apple's Airport Utility and how simple it made the set-up and chaining of routers. Hard to make the experience of setting up of a home network beautiful, but at least it was easy.

https://plus.google.com/118207880179234484610/posts/iTnCzLBWBty

Welcome to a better world, that just works!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Was I the only was that cringed at 1:38? .....I think I was starting to get vertigo :cross-eye:cross-eye

eldanes

Apr 6, 2011
Why a repeater?

Where u located? Are you in country or "overseas"???

I am about to set up a "repeater" for my home wifi system to extend the range. It will be interesting, I am thinking.

HB

Hi Hillbilly,

Why do you want to set up a repeater which is a little more comolicated process, consumes more power, require a power outlet where you place it etc.?

See, the 802.11 family consists of a series of over-the-air modulation techniques that use the same basic protocol. The most popular are those defined by the 802.11b and 802.11g protocols, which originates from the very first iplementations of the wireless technology. Later, believe it was released in 2009 802.11n becane the new multi-streaming modulation technique.

First of all 802.11n supports higher speeds (15, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 135, 150 mbit/s) i.e it transfer higher speeds between devices connected on the router. A 802.11g router has a typical max. transfer speed of 54 mbit/s and often less depending of signal strength.

The theoritical signal distance on routers are :
802.11g
Indoor Outdoor
38m/125ft 140m/460ft

802.11n
Indoor Outdoor
70m/2305ft 250m/820ft

A quite fine speciment for your requirements, if we a discussing signal range, would be Linksys E2500/E3000 Advanced Dual-Band N Router which are both midranged priced routers (one in the top of the range the other inthe bottom of the range).
So instead of purchasing another router to repeat your signal 10- 25 odd dollars more would buy you a E2500/E3000 router.

Quick features would be:
A Wireless-N router with simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz bands designed to increase bandwidth. Keep Wi-Fi freeloaders and Internet threats at bay with WPA/WPA2 security settings. Use the Gigabit Ethernet ports for quicker file sharing between other Gigabit-enabled devices like media servers, hard drives and computers.

eldanes

Apr 6, 2011
A few reasons.
- Virtually virus free (like dem Apples are)
- Not having to upgrade to the next version of Windows and needing new programs since your old ones are no longer compatible with the new Windows version.

What a lot of bollocks the above. I am running Centos 5.4, a flavour of Red Hat Linux, and the number of entries in my router log and my Centos firewall log of Chineese, Russian and even American break-in attempts on my network to steal free access to my mail server/ftp server (using it for mail spam and hide behind to perform other attacks on other netwokrs/users) or just snoop around on my system looking for personal data is in-countable.
True that there is not so much virus writen for Linux but the real danger is not the virus but the damage the virus makes. I.e steal personal information, bank account information and data. That can happen on any Operation System wheather Windows, Mac, Linux, AIX or Solaris.

Not having to get new programs when a new release of the OS is on the market is another lie. Ever time a new version of Trixbox (a telefony software I use on my Centos OS) is released I can't convert my data into the new format of the new software release hence I have to either stick to the old version or manually copy the data over in the new version which is quite time consuming as I usually spend 2-3 days doing so. How many normal users can spend such an amount of time and how many users would have the skills to do that?

I am not saying Linux i bad just that the back office/maintainence funcionality is not as well programmed as it is on Windows products.