Any historian on the forum? Was any Morisco ever in the Dominican Republic?

Hello All,

I am working on a project very dear to my heart and I need help to direct me to the right archives for my next visit to La Republica Dominicana. Ever since, I landed in Cuba and La Republica Dominicana, I saw faces that reminded me of my homeland. Many times people addressed in Spanish thinking that I was Latina.

All those who read the History of the New World know that emigration of Moriscos (Moors), Jews and Renegades was forbidden since 1522 (Spain), but some went to fight in Peru. Visiting La Habana and Santo Domingo, I had the opportunity to visit houses is the colonial zones or the old parts if you prefer that were typically Andalucians, hence Moorish. Knowing that part of Spain was under Arab and Moorish rule for 800 years, one can argue that the Moorish and Arab architectures were suited for the climate. Knowing also that such emigration was forbidden to tornazidos (renegades according to the Inquisition), Jews and Moriscos, some emigrants might have been slaves, mercenaries and conversos to fight the first nations of the new world.

My question is addressed to those who can help. Have you heard of stories, do you know people who can trace their lineage to some Moriscos or Jews from Andalucia or even Morocco? I am not talking about Arab emigration which happened in the turn of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century and which originated from the Middle East even though this emigration counts for the majority of Arabs (17 millions in the Americas) outside their countries of origin. I am asking about those forgotten ones. Will be forever grateful if some of you could help me in this quest.

Thanking You and wishing a great evening,

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's hints of it in some surnames like Alburquerque, Alcantara, Almezquita, Bencosme, Bengoa, Brea, Bono which are Spanish but possibly of Moorish origin. The Jewish/converso heritage is better documented.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Lalouve; Hi I am a marrano or converso, from spain 2nd generation in havana. Conversos adopted Catholicism after 1490's. Los Moros (Arabes) controlled the Mediterranean side of Spain for 700 years and were kicked out by Los Reyes Catolicos the same duo that financed Cristobal Colon expedition. Spain had a huge Jewish population prior to that date. You can see a heavy Morisco influence in cities like Alhambra and many others. I remember my GranMother born and raised in Santander she would call them Moros.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Yes Lalouve, D.R. and Cuba have some History together, after the slave revolt (or independence) depending on your view of history, thousands non slaves went to live in Cuba just to save their lives. Cubans from region oriental have a very distinct Dominican accent and so there is a connection, I been told el Jefe liked all things Cuban

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I "think" (always in quotation marks these days!) that your best source of information would probably be Los Archivos Reales de Sevilla. Or the Casa de Contrataci?n...They have the passenger lists of most of the people (free and slave) that went to the New World in the 16th and 17th century.

Perhaps the baptismal rolls at some of the main cathedrals in Mexico, Guatemala and Tegucigalpa and Bogot? would have information, and probably there might be something in Cuba. As for the DR, I wonder with the fires and hurricanes if there is anything left. You could probably ask, all they can say is no...

Good luck, this should be interesting.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LaLouve, the Mormons have spent decades in the DR microfilming civil and church records - births, deaths, baptisms, marriages, etc., and some of them are online. I don't know where you live, but they have Family History Centers all over the world, usually attached to their churches [Church of Latter Day Saints], where you can rent a microfilm for a few dollars for about 6 weeks, and view it on their machines.

Online they have:

Those death records might show place of birth. The Catholic Church records could be a goldmine.

Similar records are available for Spain. Start off at www.familysearch.org and then "Browse by Location"