Don't expect a Best Buy to open in the DR - the problem runs deep

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why Best Buy is Going out of Business...Gradually - Forbes

This article describes why none of us should expect a Best Buy in the DR. That is something I had hoped for, but after reading this, I don't see how they can even survive. Because of poor customer service and many non-competitive practices including lack of on-line support, Best Buy will probably go out of business in the near future. The Amazon method of doing business is described as far superior and requires no store fronts.

If the Best Buy model won't work, what will work here? I have two choices when I need something today. Either order items on line and have them shipped from the US or pay higher prices in the local stores. Eventually more people living here are going to figure out it is almost always cheaper to "import" an item themselves than to buy it locally. That does not bode well for the local economy because there is no need to have any Amazon, Tiger Direct, EBay, etc. employees here in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lots of people still like to touch and feel. Lots of electronic stores here in the capital are busy with people buying stuff.
You go to places like Omega Tech and you will be hard pressed to beat their pricing when you factor in ordering online, even their flat screen pricing is good.

I don't see online sales making an impact in the DR for a while due to a multitude of reasons.

May 29, 2006
There are a ton of people on the floor to give service. The problem is none seem to know anything about what they are selling. Last summer, I went to buy a computer I had seen on sale a few days before and they said they were out of stock, but there was a few in Syracuse 65 miles away and over a dozen in Rochester. They wouldn't ship one here and I couldn't order online. I went down to Staples and they were also out of stock of what I wanted, but they could ship one from Texas in three days. Guess who I bought from?

The sell a lot of high end durable goods like LG.

Oh and I saw the Computer in a Saturday flyer. They were sold out by Wednesday. Bait and switch??

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lots of people still like to touch and feel. Lots of electronic stores here in the capital are busy with people buying stuff.
You go to places like Omega Tech and you will be hard pressed to beat their pricing when you factor in ordering online, even their flat screen pricing is good.

I don't see online sales making an impact in the DR for a while due to a multitude of reasons.

I am one of those "touchy-feely" consumers.

Didn't the business world have a similar doom and gloom forecast for the film industry when VHS and then DVD's got traction?
Or when television was introduced?

The industry will react appropriately- maybe not Best Buy but someone will.

Time will tell.

Personally, I dsagree with the author. I have had nothing but good shopping experiences at BB.
My purchases pre-Christmas were significant. From a stove to computers and a tablet, cell phone and Ipod.
All of which were with the assistance of the sales staff.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Omega Tech versus Amazon, Ebay, Etc..

I do understand the point that the DR is well behind North America on the need to see and feel and also that doing business on line has many obstacles for the normal person here. . Being on the North Coast and really hating to go to Santo Domingo I will continue importing most items rather than spend 10+ hours to get them. Perhaps they ship using Caribe Tours? How is the in-store experience and customer service at Omega Tech?

I checked the Omega Tech web site

OmegaTech

As I suspected the Omega Tech web site is less than adequate. Quite poor in fact. You can't even tell that they sell televisions from it.:rolleyes: Do they? Most items without prices. If you call, they probably won't tell you the price either?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
For TV's how does Omega Tech compare to Plaza Lama and Pricesmart?
I agree about websites here. Plaza Lama still has ads up on their website that were over on Dec 31st.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How is the in-store experience and customer service at Omega Tech?

I checked the Omega Tech web site

Their website is useless, don't bother. Fortunately it's not indicative of their service or in-store experience, I'm glad to say.
They are by far the biggest in the DR and have a bunch of stores around the DR. The biggest being on JFK here in Santo Domingo. They carry US$ multi millions in inventory and supply a good majority of the smaller computer stores here with product.

I have posted many times the owners details (Alvin) so you can deal direct and get the best deal. He's a great guy and will look after you if you tell him you came via DR1.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree about websites here. Plaza Lama still has ads up on their website that were over on Dec 31st.

Let's find out if possible. No information is available on their web site. I suspect someone will have to go to the store and check on model numbers and price. Then post the results and we can compare.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

If you go direct to the owner, pay cash, then I'm sure Omega Tech will offer pricing nobody can beat.
Not all TV's are equal, so I suggest you know exactly the make, model etc you're buying.
The guys at Omega Tech stand behind their guarantees and I have never heard a bad word against them, which is more than can be said for most other stores here.

The owner has run large chains of computer stores in Miami for years, so knows how important customer service is and referral based business.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just want a "Walmart",with US Prices!!!!!
That will happen,"NEVER"!
Look at "PriceMart"!
Thousands of Dominicans paying high DR prices for the "Dominican Stuff" you can buy cheaper when they are "On Sale" at Supermercados.Yes,mostly local food products,fresk,and canned/bottled.
The rest of the "American Stuff" is just very expensive.
They do have some products that you can only get there,but at what costs?
Just because you can get "Kraft Mayo",or american Catsup, by the gallon,does not,automatically, make the "Unit Price" lower.
When you buy stuff for 10 people,you tend to check the "unit Price" of everything!
What "Unit Price" means is, you compare the cost of "One",be it ounce,pound,liter,what-have-you,no matter what "size" container of the product you buy.
How many Dominicans do you think are aware of,or check,"Unit Pricing"?
In DR supermarkets,it's not unusual to be able to buy two 16 oz. containers of "something" cheper then one 32 oz. container.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's find out if possible. No information is available on their web site. I suspect someone will have to go to the store and check on model numbers and price. Then post the results and we can compare.

Don't waste your time doing that, that's not how you get the best deals in the DR.
I'm giving you an in to the owner, what more do you need?

For those of you that want to know how business is done in the DR and how you get the best deal on a new flat screen, use these easy to follow steps:

1) Go to the Omega Tech store on JFK.
2) Ask for Alvin Jimenez (owner)
3) Tell him I sent you and your looking for a good deal on a flat screen
4) He will ask you how much you want to pay :)
5) Make the deal, pay cash.
6) Walk out the store happy!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
It's easy to go in an talk to Alvin if you live in Santo Domingo. For those on the North Coast it's a full day/overnight trip so it would be helpful to get brands he carries and deals people have gotten or at least an updated website. For all those people who wonder what businesses to open in the DR , a good webmaster could fill a lot of needs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't waste your time doing that, that's not how you get the best deals in the DR.
I'm giving you an in to the owner, what more do you need?

For those of you that want to know how business is done in the DR and how you get the best deal on a new flat screen, use these easy to follow steps:

1) Go to the Omega Tech store on JFK.
2) Ask for Alvin Jimenez (owner)
3) Tell him I sent you and your looking for a good deal on a flat screen
4) He will ask you how much you want to pay :)
5) Make the deal, pay cash.
6) Walk out the store happy!

I do appreciate how it is done here and very much appreciate the contact information, but having to actually go to the store in Santo Domigo means this will probably never happen. If Alvin really appreciates customer service, perhaps one day he will be able to deal with customers on the phone and via email, as well as having a real web site.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sounds like "anng3",REALLY don't yet "Get It"!
"Face-to-face","Cara-a-Cara",is how to negotiate in commerce,and maybe find a new friend,here in the DR.
Buying lots of "Things/Stuff" here in the DR has proven that to me.I built,and furnihed a hospital in SD.
By "Talking" to people in Ferreteria Hache",I met the owner,and founder,and got good prices.
At "Plaza Lama" I met a lot of "Lamas".I made a deal over the phone for 20 TVs,after I got there,we made "nice",and they gave me an additional 6,000 peso discount.And back then,6,000 pesos,was MONEY!
Now,insulting someone who has given,what to me seems like a great "TIP" about how to get a good deal here in the DR, is counter productive!
I love to "insult" people especially when they say something dumb,misguided,foolish,or not valid,but not when they are giving their time,and "inside Info' that can help me!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Why Best Buy is Going out of Business...Gradually - Forbes

This article describes why none of us should expect a Best Buy in the DR. That is something I had hoped for, but after reading this, I don't see how they can even survive. Because of poor customer service and many non-competitive practices including lack of on-line support, Best Buy will probably go out of business in the near future. The Amazon method of doing business is described as far superior and requires no store fronts.

If the Best Buy model won't work, what will work here? I have two choices when I need something today. Either order items on line and have them shipped from the US or pay higher prices in the local stores. Eventually more people living here are going to figure out it is almost always cheaper to "import" an item themselves than to buy it locally. That does not bode well for the local economy because there is no need to have any Amazon, Tiger Direct, EBay, etc. employees here in the DR.

Je je je... They're already in the DR, just not open for biz yet...

How many of you knew when Office Depot arrived here?

There's an important aspect that needs to be 'engaged" for Best Buy to start the presence here, and that's for some parts that will get enforced soon in the DR-CAFTA with the U.S...

Don't you see how Corripio is running to open large U.S. style shops around?

To the best of my knowledge BB is planning to take over a huge chunk of the Mall behind IKEA for their entry to the DR market, with a Santiago store to follow in a spot that's soon to open a lot of eyes there too...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I hear that the 'Brooklyn Bridge" is looking for the right river to cross in the DR.
Just a matter of "Where",and "When"!
Pichardo,wanna buy in early????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have had two experiences with BB here in Florida. The store in Boynton Beach just sucs IMO but the one in Palm Beach is really nice! Of course the parking lot tells a lot of the story. Ferraris and RR, top of the line Lexus and 2012 Nissan Rogues...all pretty and shiny. In Boynton it was Civics and 5 year old Corollas!!

And, I can side with CCCCCCCCCCC's comment above. Never look a gift horse in the mouth....Robert's info is dead on!!

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's easy to go in an talk to Alvin if you live in Santo Domingo. For those on the North Coast it's a full day/overnight trip so it would be helpful to get brands he carries and deals people have gotten or at least an updated website. For all those people who wonder what businesses to open in the DR , a good webmaster could fill a lot of needs.

If you choose to isolate yourself on the north coast, then expect to pay through the nose for goods.