Pioneer Developer Passes Away

james

Jan 14, 2002
"For Ronald and Mona Blissett, life in the Dominican Republic isn?t exactly paradise. The Blissetts put in long days, and sometimes nights, to make sure things are working properly at Trade Winds Condominiums. ? This quotation appeared on the front page of The Puerto Plata News on February 21, 1992. At that time, Trade Winds was four years old.
Ronald Gerald Blissett, loving husband, father and grandfather was welcomed into the loving arms of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on Monday, December 19, 2011, in Dothan, Alabama. He was 76.
Ronald Blissett first came to the Dominican Republic in 1956 as a 21 year old working for Pan American World Airways on a missile tracking station in Sabana Del Mar. He fell in love with the country at that time and promised himself he would someday come back. That he did!
In 1985 he and his wife, Mona Merle Blissett, arrived in Sosua and started construction of Trade Winds Condominiums and a personal house in Los Cerros de Sosua. Their youngest son, Michael (Blissett Builders, Inc) and wife, Angie, joined them in 1987 and helped build Trade Winds and then Condos Mona (later named The Palms and now called Sosua?s Best). Ronald built Sun and Surf (now called Wind Chimes) in Cabarete and the development of Caribbean Hills on the El Choc? Road. Their immeasurable love for the Dominican people inspired another resume of work which included the founding, building and funding of the Garden Kids Private School. He also started a dental program with donations from several Dothan dentists distributing toothbrushes and paste to children in Cabarete.
Ronald?s last project in the Dominican Republic was a joint-venture with Sr. Fausto Pimentel, owner and CEO of Banco Santa Cruz converting the hotel One Ocean Place into condominiums now named the Garden Condos.
Originally from Dothan, Alabama, Ronald was President of Blissett Homes, Inc. and spent much time traveling back and forth attending to business in Alabama with oldest son, James and wife Monica. He established Blissett Homes, Inc which was the beginning of a pioneering 40 year career in commercial and residential development. This work included ten apartment complexes and he was one of the first local businessmen to take an interest in the redevelopment of downtown Dothan.
Mr. Blissett was a member of the Pilgrim Home Baptist Church in Dothan and New Life Church in the Dominican Republic. Survivors include his loving wife of 52 years, Mona Merle Blissett; his sons, James (Monica) Blissett and Michael (Angie) Blissett; three grandchildren, Victoria, Madeline and Matthew.
While in Israel last year, Ronald saw a life size Nativity set and upon arriving back in the US, he ordered it. He built a manger on a flat bed trailer and displayed it in his back yard in Dothan. It was only fitting that his final project was to build a house for a King.
The memorial service will be held January 12 at 5:00 PM at the New Life big tent in Sosua. All are invited to come and share a real ?Celebration of Life? for Ronald Blissett. He touched so many lives while in the Dominican Republic. He truly loved the people.

- The above letter has been posted on behalf of Mrs Mona Blissett -

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Peace to a pioneer!!! Sometimes these folks walk among us and we never realize just how dynamic they are!!

HB

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
My father was friends with him, and I have nothing but good memories of him.

My prayers to out to his family.

james

Jan 14, 2002
The memorial service will be held January 12 at 5:00 PM at the New Life big tent in Sosua.
That is the New Life big tent near Playa Chiquita on Calle Alejo Martinez before Hotel Voramar.

peterw

Mar 15, 2007
My thoughts are with you Mona and your family !
I just got back in the DR , and heard about Ronald ... I feel bad I was not here for the memorial service.
Ronald was a very special person for me .... and beloved by many .
My prayers go out to you .
Keep strong Mona !
Peter Wirken.

lsavinon

Aug 17, 2006
I had the privilege of knowing and working for Ronald Blissett and wife Mona in the mid 1990's, and was a tenant of Trade Winds for over 4 years until I moved back to Santo Domingo. Mr. and Mrs. Blissett treated me like a son and I considered them my adoptive parents on the North Coast.

On their 50th wedding anniversary in 2010, they invited me to their private celebration at Piergiorgio's in Sosua, and I wrote an article which they later had published in the local press in their home town, Dothan, Alabama. I also had the honor of being invited and attending the moving memorial service on January 12th.

I remember Mr. Blissett as being a tireless worker. He was always busy building or remodeling something -- houses, apartments, hotels, clinics, swimming pools, cutting roads and streets to make new subdivisions, and in so doing he created jobs for hundreds of local people. Construction was his passion. He would get on the bulldozer and move earth himself. A knee operation slowed him down a bit, but not enough to keep him from building new things.

At times you'd find him digging to plant tropical trees, as landscaping was another one of his passions. I remember when I was looking for a place to live in Sosua, the first thing that impressed me were the beautiful gardens at Trade Winds. Well, there wasn't one day when Mr. and Mrs. Mona did not make sure those plants and flowers were well watered and in optimum condition.

But what earned him so much friendship and love was his simplicity, generosity and jovial personality; he always had a smile on his face and a great sense of humor. He liked to tease people and play practical jokes -- I was the victim more than once. This cheerful nature helped him adapt to local culture and handle the frustrations of being a builder in Paradise, a business I wouldn't recommend to any foreigner who did not have all the patience in the world and a personality like Mr. Blissett's.

Ronald Blissett will be remembered and missed by all of us whose lives he touched. Our love and support go to Mona and the Blissett family.

LUIS SAVI?ON