NY Times Today - Samana Peninsula

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
rather ironic considering only the europeans and canadians dare to fly into El Catey, Samana

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Gordon,

I would love to fly into AZS from the Washington, DC area, but the total travel time on Air Canada is 14 hours - minimum!

Preston

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
toronto to el catey 4 hour flight - so sweet - sales on now to and tickets can be as low as $200

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Gordon:

There are currently no flights from the U.S., however when the radar situation is resolved you can bet there will be.

S

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
But really does any of it make sense anyway? first they build a beautiful international airport, then a water plant and then all the wonderful sewage manholes, one of the most beautiful new highways in the world that no one can afford to use, make lots of subdivision new development plans mostly in swampy areas and then the most populated nearest neighbour has to wait for the locals to install some used radar equipment, taken from a nearby airport they no longer feel safe using so they can now allow the americans to fly in where the europeans and canadians have already deemed safe. Do you really think this used and outdated equipment, unwired and shipped and rewired will make this airport safer? The locals air line crew in Punta Cana forced my dog through their outdated X ray equipment before I could fly out. Where do they get the manuals to operate this stuff?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Echo's are resounding that JetBlue will be running two flights a week to El Catey from JFK starting in Nov 2012.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
This list lost all credibility with me when I saw Oakland, California listed as #5.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Great- superb boost to LT and Samana undisclosed position in the top league of World Tourism!

Airlines will be competing for landing rights!

pi2

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Fighting Over Landing Rights

Airlines will be competing for landing rights!

Unless this was an ironic comment, one might want to know that several (European) airlines have stopped to serve AZS because of the high landing fees there (which would not justify a stopover landing on their route to POP or PUJ).
Also scheduled landings were cancelled on approach when the crew realized that landing facilities (ILS ?) were not working...
At least this is what the pax were told who then had to come to Saman? from POP by taxi.

That airport is a very quiet one now.. I am sure Pichy has nice photos about it.

donP

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
the flights from canada to El Catey are local passengers only and they can remain full with no additional stopover costs required. Basically a touch and go back to the cold front. Sometimes the crew jumps out and does all kinds of ground duties, jejejeje. It can make it difficult as they have to run back to their craft to ensure a one hour turn around and they do not have a lot of time for ground support to passengers. If you are a bit late they wave at you from the flight deck but will not return to assist. bah

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
when the US has flights to Samana, the airport sign will change to "SOSUA NUMERO DOS"........:ermm:

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
And Auberge Resort?s? Casa Tropicalia , with 44 beachfront suites and an open-air spa on Saman? Bay, is to open in 2014.

Oh, please....with all the wonderful places on this peninsula to mention, the writer wastes precious promotional space by including a pricey resort that's still two years away??!!

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Oh, please....with all the wonderful places on this peninsula to mention, the writer wastes precious promotional space by including a pricey resort that's still two years away??!!

Casa Tropicala is at the Miches side and not really at the Samana Bay. More direction Punta Cana.