Is "Scotch & Sirloin" in Sosua a good place to order a steak?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Happened into this restaurant yesterday to have a drink. First impression was positive; attentive staff, very nice facility. Glanced at the menu and say a USDA ribeye steak, but we weren't hungry. But dreamt about steaks and now we are craving one......

So, what are opinions on this restaurant in general and also specifically about their steaks? I think the price was about RD$900 for full meal with salad and side.

Any other place for a ribeye in Cabarete or Sosua that might be better in quality? And is this a fair price?

Thanks!!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Happened into this restaurant yesterday to have a drink. First impression was positive; attentive staff, very nice facility. Glanced at the menu and say a USDA ribeye steak, but we weren't hungry. But dreamt about steaks and now we are craving one......

So, what are opinions on this restaurant in general and also specifically about their steaks? I think the price was about RD$900 for full meal with salad and side.

Any other place for a ribeye in Cabarete or Sosua that might be better in quality? And is this a fair price?

Thanks!!

If it is really USDA Prime 12oz. 23dlls is a bargain anywhere.
In Santo Domingo is between 1300-1500 pesos. but I dont think you can compare a steak house in Sosua with David Crocket or Porterhouse.

Mar 2, 2008
In Santo Domingo is between 1300-1500 pesos. but I dont think you can compare a steak house in Sosua with David Crocket or Porterhouse.

You certainly can't compare them unless you have actually been to both. I have been to both (David Crocket and Scotch and Sirloin), and I find them to be comparable in many respects. The steaks are of similar quality, although David Crocket's steaks might have a slight preparation advantage. (The chefs at Scotch and Sirloin sometimes don't really get 'medium rare'.)

The price advantage goes to Scotch and Sirloin, hands down, at least when they are running a special.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008

It didn't say "Prime" just USDA, so it's at least "Choice" I hope! But it's aged and that's just not done for local beef that I can find.

We have eaten at both David Crocket and Porterhouse in SD; both excellent and pricey! But we are rarely in SD, living in Cabarete.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
You certainly can't compare them unless you have actually been to both. I have been to both (David Crocket and Scotch and Sirloin), and I find them to be comparable in many respects. The steaks are of similar quality, although David Crocket's steaks might have a slight preparation advantage. (The chefs at Scotch and Sirloin sometimes don't really get 'medium rare'.)

The price advantage goes to Scotch and Sirloin, hands down, at least when they are running a special.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Exactly why I posted this one DR1.

We might be remembering the price wrong, but I don't think so. This wasn't a special; just on the menu. Maybe they have lowered their prices due to lack of business??.....Sosua seems to be less than full of tourists.

And we like steak medium rare..... but would rather have it more rare than more cooked. So should we order it "rare"? We have to do that at many restaurants in the USA; unless they are high end steakhouses. I think chefs don't understand just how much a piece of meat will continue to cook, even after it's taken off the fire. I didn't know that myself until I watched "Hell's Kitchen" and saw that mistake being made so many times.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Certainly, I have not been in S & S, but have been in many other restaurants in Sosua-Cabarete that offer USDA Rib Eye, but they do not specify if its Prime, Choice or Select, you normally end up eating a Select grade. In a good steak house they always specify, so you know what are you going to eat.
In Dominican restaurants normally, you have to ask for medium to have a medium rare, and medium well if you want a medium, rare almost does not exist here. This does not apply to David crockett, Porterhouse or El Rancho.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have had the steak at S & S many times and have always enjoyed it..The owner told me he imports the beef from the states and it taste like it..IT'S not a 5star place, but either are the prices..For sosua it is a good price for a very good steak..

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I've been to S&S a number of times, always very pleased with the experience. I prefer medium rare and it's hard to get that right but they have been pretty good at it. I recommend the place to family and friends!

David Crockett is in a different league, IMHO. The steak there is simply astounding. I find the preparation at Crockett's to be better than S&S on both consistency and quality of cuts. I seem to recall it as being more expensive than S&S as well.

For the second time the other day I visited Tinto y Brasa on Gustav Mejia Rickart. The food there is excellent, churrasco as nearly perfect as possible. Sublime martini's and a great wine list. If you haven't been there, do so. It's priced about the same as S&S (less than Crockett).

Last edited:

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
For the second time the other day I visited Tinto y Brasa on Gustav Mejia Rickart. The food there is excellent, churrasco as nearly perfect as possible. Sublime martini's and a great wine list. If you haven't been there, do so. It's priced about the same as S&S (less than Crockett).

Please, in what city is Tinto Y Brasa? Not familiar with just street names.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for the names of these steak houses....next time I'm craving one there I'll be sure to stop by.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
has anyone tried the parradilla steak house at terramar in sosua abajo, saw it on facebook, its located where the tennis courts are at the entrance