You want to die in dominican republic ?

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Hola all residents.

I love the DR. I live here for about 9 years. My spouse and I are very happy and we live in Santiago.
We bought a solar and ?we? will build a nice villa with pool. We are fully integrated, speak spanish and have friends all over the social-cultural level. The sky is blue.
But : when I ask myself if i want to die here in the Dominican Republic, ther answer is ?no?.

So, what are your feelings about this question ?

Sincerely, Hiram.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm with Badpiece, but if that concerns you just rent so that when you're old enough to consider death you can just leave.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I don't think you consider death so much as it considers you...haha.

My feelings are that I don't even think about where I will die, just live in the present. Maybe I'll have a different perspective in 30-40 years.

Seems like people would want to die at "home"; for some, for many reasons, "home" is the DR, while for others "home" will always be back where they came from.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hola all residents.

I love the DR. I live here for about 9 years. My spouse and I are very happy and we live in Santiago.
We bought a solar and ?we? will build a nice villa with pool. We are fully integrated, speak spanish and have friends all over the social-cultural level. The sky is blue.
But : when I ask myself if i want to die here in the Dominican Republic, ther answer is ?no?.

So, what are your feelings about this question ?

Sincerely, Hiram.

If you feel strongly about this, better leave now. Few have the opportunity to pick the time and place of their death.

I dont want to Die anywhere, personally.

I tend to agree,
with all that transpired last Father's Day, when I had a massive stroke (almost died), I certainly do not want to go through that again, TPA Clot buster that worked(65% do not work) and back on my feet in a few days, followed by major surgery (carotid endarterectomy ) and now I am almost back to normal.

Carotid Endarterectomy | Internet Stroke Center

I will do all I can to pass death by.

grim_reaper_drawings.gif

Why not die here?! When you are dead- you are dead. It dosent matter were your body is rotting, you are not around to enjoy it more anyway.

I rather enjoy life while i can, and let those fanatical religous locos worry about if they are welcome into uncle jesus`s very empty heaven.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In all honesty, I've considered the possibility that I might become seriously ill, or have a heart attack/stroke in DR, because we are there months at a time - and it scares me. Because we don't live in SD or Santiago near anything resembling a great hospital/clinic, it's a real possibility that if that happens to one of us, we will die there before reaching SD.

However, like minerva_feliz, I like to live one day at a time, and not dwell on what 'could be'. I'm a bit of a fatalist too, so I figure I should just enjoy my life as it comes, because none of us know when our time is up.

And let's face it, when it happens, who cares where it is???

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
My, oh my, I suspect the OP wasn't looking for, and probably didn't expect, the depths of philosophical ramblings he's received. But, hey, it's interesting to see what the word "death" brings up in all of us. I'm with Minerva_Feliz in that it's just something I don't think about.

Having said that, I almost drowned on a beautiful beach in the Sea of Bohol a few months back -- wow, I didn't see that coming but after the initial shock and surprise passed, I'm happy to report, a great calm descended upon me.

Thank the gods for that.

I think the more we seek/develop a spiritual understanding and realize that we are much more than just this body and this earthly existence, the less we fear death.

I had a great old Irish friend in Cork who used to say, in the happiest and most accepting way "Live with great abandon and gusto until the moment of impact". And that's exactly what he did until he died at the age of 93.

RIP, Matt Malloy!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On my list of last things to worry about is where I die.

I do put a high priority on keeping from dieing. It is so final.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I am 71 and expect to die here in the DR. Maybe this year, maybe in another 10.

I can see the attraction of going back to your roots to die (completing the circle of life, as it were) but there are practical difficulties. Once most of us are sufficiently ill to realise that this is going to be it, and that there can be no avoidance this time round, we may not be up to all the hassle of travelling and settling back into our country of origin. Of course, this depends on what the set-up is at that end. If you still have a property there and a fat bank balance, or if you have loving family or friends willing to tend your needs until you snuff it, then you have more options than someone like me who would have to find somewhere to live and make all the other arrangements, possibly while enfeebled or in pain.

The other issue is what ties and responsibilities you have at the DR end. The only people I feel any responsibility towards are here. That would make it harder to leave the country.

I have no fear of dying. I have had a good innings and been luckier than most. But I do fear a prolonged process and being at the mercy of Dominican incompetence during it.

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
If you are truly happy in the DR and it is your heaven on earth- what is the problem? While still young- or so I feel, I am looking forward to having the villa with the pool, living there full time and pray to God that when it is my time, I will go from one heaven to another!!!!! I agree with the other posters- when you are gone you are gone and there are SO many other things to occupy your thoughts and actions!!!:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is rather difficult to chose your time rather than have it chosen by you. heck, you could slip and crack your head open before you get on a chair and slip a noose around the neck (not that it would matter then, anyways). as far as the place of death... who knows? my friend had a car accident once (she lived to tell the tale), as she was lifted to the ambulance her last words before passing out were "i'm glad i washed my hair today". quite an earthly worry, don't you think? in what could have been her last moment? so maybe the place WILL matter, when push comes to shove (and dig 6 feet deep)?
personally i am not so much bothered by where. not even by how nor when - although the preference is, of course as easy and late as possible :) however, i would like to be buried back in poland, with an epitaph i picked for myslef but alas, this is unlikely to happen.
what is commforting about death is that at least this one even you do not have to worry about. it will be all done for you.