Blackouts (los apagones) in the dr:

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I would like to know how bad is the light situation (los apagones) in the dr currently for the permenent residents? When I lived in the dr before that was one of the biggest drawbacks for us expats living in the dr back-then especialy, for me and my family. Even though we eventualy adapted they were not fun. I remember I had to purchase a kubota deisel generator and also a (planta seca) converter using a big truck battery that I purchased from plaza lama in SD in those days. I would like to know how bad is it now and does this still occur in all areas of the dr and how many times during the day, week or monthly and what are the members here doing for those infamous apagones of the dr now.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Half of the country is on a D circuit with no electricity 12 hours a day at the minute. If you buy an inverter and a bank of batteries - size depending on your consumption, then it is fairly seamless and feels like normal. The only issue is if the electricity goes off for longer then you need a generator to charge the batteries. I manage fine but have a tiny fridge and no aircon. If you want all the mod cons and live in a D area then you will be in trouble.

Matilda

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Based on my experience in Sosua, much, much better than a few years ago. In the area where I live the average is about 1.5-2 hours out of 24.

The best thing to do is live in one of the condos that has a generator.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not an issue if you live on the East Coast, Bayahibe or the Samana peninsula, I'm happy to say.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Half of the country is on a D circuit with no electricity 12 hours a day at the minute. If you buy an inverter and a bank of batteries - size depending on your consumption, then it is fairly seamless and feels like normal. The only issue is if the electricity goes off for longer then you need a generator to charge the batteries. I manage fine but have a tiny fridge and no aircon. If you want all the mod cons and live in a D area then you will be in trouble.

Matilda

Agreed! Ever since I got an inverter and a good bank of batteries I have been golden. Just make sure to match the KW output of the inverter to your actual usage, or be on the safe side and go a little larger.

Hey Matilda, in this case, where would you hook up the generator to charge the batteries? Specifically where would you wire it up?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hey Matilda, in this case, where would you hook up the generator to charge the batteries? Specifically where would you wire it up?

That question is way too technical for me. It must stick in somewhere. When you need to use the generator all I know is you flip a big grey handle in the kitchen and then pull the string on the generator. Sorry can't help more than that.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We hook our generator into the main electrical box when we need power [if the batteries are dead], not into the batteries or inverter.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I have used an (inverter) in the past to turn on 1-tv and 1-fan and 3-bulbs, but mine was a 1/2 kilo inverter. I know there are more powerful inverters out there. How many kilos are you guys using now and whats the cost for a good inverter set-up plus the batteries costs and where the best place to buy them in santo domingo or can you get them in miami?

I also make a living remotely and use computers all the time and rely on them to be on all the time rocking and rolling to make income. This is an important factor for me, in order to relocate to the dr. Anybody out-there make a living using computers that has had problems with down-time due to black-outs or repetitive equipment failures due to the electrical spikes and surges or if you have the right set-up with a generator and a good inverter and maybe a voltage regulator. Will that be sufficient to resolove the electrical issues in the dr in my case.

Last edited:

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
That question is way too technical for me. It must stick in somewhere. When you need to use the generator all I know is you flip a big grey handle in the kitchen and then pull the string on the generator. Sorry can't help more than that.

Matilda

I looked it up, apparently what you have is some type of power diverter switch...basically diverts your power source from being the grid to being the generator. Actually, it seems that is the correct way to do it, so you have a good setup!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I have used an (inverter) in the past to turn on 1-tv and 1-fan and 3-bulbs, but mine was a 1/2 kilo inverter. I know there are more powerful inverters out there. How many kilos are you guys using now and whats the cost for a good inverter set-up plus the batteries costs and where the best place to buy them in santo domingo or can you get them in miami?

I also make a living remotely and use computers all the time and rely on them to be on all the time rocking and rolling to make income. This is an important factor for me, in order to relocate to the dr. Anybody out-there make a living using computers that has had problems with down-time due to black-outs or repetitive equipment failures due to the electrical spikes and surges or if you have the right set-up with a generator and a good inverter and maybe a voltage regulator. Will that be sufficient to resolove the electrical issues in the dr in my case.

I purchased my setup in DR. If memory serves me correct, I paid $4k for a 1KW inverter with the smart card/chip in it to auto switch on when power goes out. The alternative is a manual switch when power goes out...not what you want lol. I'm hazy on the battery pricing, but I think it was $1k each and I got 4 of them.

To answer your question about electrical quality, there is some detail to delve into. There are two main types of inverters:

Pure Sine Wave is better because it gives you a clean power output that sensitive electronics like pc's like. This is the equivalent of what you get directly from the utility companies over the power grid.

Modified Sine Wave is a little "dirty" meaning you get some electrical noise. Pc's can use them but can sometimes act glitchy if you have a weak power supply. Audio equipment can also get feedback in the form of a hummmm. Also fluorescent lights don't like this power source either.

With the above being said, I have NO IDEA if the home inverters sold in the DR are pure or modified sine wave. If someone has any info that they can offer here it would be great. I looked up my model on the internet, and found squat.

Aside from that, just estimate what you will need, then get an inverter/batteries for double that to be really on the safe side

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I purchased my setup in DR. If memory serves me correct, I paid $4k for a 1KW inverter with the smart card/chip in it to auto switch on when power goes out. The alternative is a manual switch when power goes out...not what you want lol. I'm hazy on the battery pricing, but I think it was $1k each and I got 4 of them.

To answer your question about electrical quality, there is some detail to delve into. There are two main types of inverters:

Pure Sine Wave is better because it gives you a clean power output that sensitive electronics like pc's like. This is the equivalent of what you get directly from the utility companies over the power grid.

Modified Sine Wave is a little "dirty" meaning you get some electrical noise. Pc's can use them but can sometimes act glitchy if you have a weak power supply. Audio equipment can also get feedback in the form of a hummmm. Also fluorescent lights don't like this power source either.

With the above being said, I have NO IDEA if the home inverters sold in the DR are pure or modified sine wave. If someone has any info that they can offer here it would be great. I looked up my model on the internet, and found squat.

Aside from that, just estimate what you will need, then get an inverter/batteries for double that to be really on the safe side

If you just want to run computers(laptop ) /low power fan/small LCD TV/ LED lights when the power goes out 2 deep cycle batterries and a 400 watt inverter/ standard battery charger 50 dollars is adequate. Gives about 12 hours at 50 - 100 watt discharge. Buy a kill a watt.

Kill A Watt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A manual switchover is good with laptops. The total cost may be 700 - 800 dollars ( batteries 300-400 dollars, inverter 100 -150 dollars, charger 50-80 dollars, professional switch box 100 dollars, wire fuses etc 50 dollars, . If you want to add solar charging about 1000 dollars in addition; good propane generator 500 dollars.
On choice of equipment try and get 110/220 chargers etc.
If you are worried about always being on line go for two methods of internet connection. e.g. 3G plus ASDL.
My experience with Acer laptops has been good under power surges interuptions. and they can either be ordered from US or obtained in DR.
If you are in an area with long blackouts store a lot a of ice in the freezer compartment or use a high quality freezer box for storing food.
Disconnect equipment in a storm by unplugging/connecting to your local supply.
Amazon.com: 5 day cooler: Sports & Outdoors

pi2

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It all depends where you live. If you live in an area with few blackouts then a small inverter say 1.5kw and 4 batteries should do you. I have one including batteries belonging to some Americans who left for sale at 20,000 RD$.

But if you live in a D zone with no electricity 12 hours a day you need more. I have a 5kw inverter and 12 batteries and that runs everything when the power is off including fridge and microwave. The only thing it does not run is the hot water tank so only hot showers when the electric is on.

Matilda

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I have to admit that things have changed for the better, or at least in my neighborhood. I'm in the colonial zone, on an A circuit - I can remember the power going out just once in the last three months and that was just a short period of time. Since I work on the internet I have a small inverter for the lights, circuits except refrig. and a small Honda 2KW generator as a backup (rarely used).

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
you asked specifically about computers, powering etc.....guess again it depends on the circuit. If you on an A circuit you should have little to fear with a small backup system just in case. I've had zero computer problems while using a laptop and I make my living partially as an online adjunct Instructor / academic coach for several colleges in the US. I use Claro DSL service and it's been pretty reliable - getting 3mb/s download speeds at times on my 1.5 mb/s circuit.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I would hazard a guess that 99% of the inverters sold in the DR are modified sine wave inverters, which actually means they put out something much closer to a square wave than a since wave. A better name would be a modified square wave inverter. The probably reason is that a true sine wave inverter is considerably more expensive. A true sine wave inverter will actually put out much cleaner power than the utilities, especially those here in the DR. :bandit:

I have one receiver, an older SONY model, that tends to overheat on an inverter. Nothing else has problems. Laptops, desktop, refrigerators, flat screen TVs etc, all run without problems.