Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ikea pricing in dr...wow

I'm very happy for Ikea lovers in DR,but wow....just comparing prices between the US store and DR,it's over 200(or 50% more) bucks and you are getting a smaller size bed!!!(Birkland collection)I have bought Ikea here for years,so I kinda of know what something should be.So is Ikea meant for the upper class in DR or because it's a franchise the owner it's trying to get over? It's not very popular with most people I know up north according to them based on the quality,but some of the stuff I bought in the past,has reached the 5 year mark,lol.Opinions,inputs....?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Before IKEA, we had two options. Contemporary furniture at ridiculous prices, 2-3x what you see at IKEA here or Dominican style, cheaper, big and ugly in my opinion, although it wears well in most cases.

Some stuff at IKEA is a lot cheaper than you will see at any other store in the DR, plus their range is huge compared to anyone else.

I have had a few IKEA pieces since the first week they opened, they are still fine, without any issues.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Prices on some items are double or triple (Poang Chair) the US however if you order 15000 RD you get free delivery on the North Coast. They deliver 3 times per week. With the free delivery the prices were cheaper than the prices to buy in states and ship. I am happy with my purchases but I would love to get the 1 small item that was missing on my order.

Like Robert says, Contemporary furniture prices are ridiculous here. Ikea has filled a void for better priced contemporary furniture.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought an armchair at Ikea in Edmonton in 1987. Water buffalo leather. Finally gave up the ghost in 2005. Survived little children, pre-teens, and teenagers. Still have a coffee table I bought at the same time. My oldest son wants it when I move to the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ikea is not a bad place to buy some things like kitchen items but they are building products to Swedish environments and have not adapted to tropical use and therefore most of their things do not hold up properly. Also if one hires locals to build items like towel racks, furniture, shelving etc you not only can often get a better and unique product at a better price, but you actually create something special for the local economy.

6. Likes LaLouve liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Ikea is not a bad place to buy some things like kitchen items but they are building products to Swedish environments and have not adapted to tropical use and therefore most of their things do not hold up properly.
    Not true! They are the largest mover of furniture on the planet, with stores in climates much worse and humid than the DR, Singapore, Dubai etc. I'm guessing they have learned a few things along the way

I suggest you go and actually talk to the people at IKEA about your false assumption, you might be surprised at the answers you get and how very aware they are of climate, local market conditions etc.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I base my "assumptions" on products I have actually purchased. For example the bugs run for the delicious wood "products" they use and the humidity compounds the problem. Try shopping there. Buy a comforter designed for cold climates while you are there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default from north coast to SD

[QUOTE=anng3;1044002]Prices on some items are double or triple (Poang Chair) the US however if you order 15000 RD you get free delivery on the North Coast. They deliver 3 times per week. With the free delivery the prices were cheaper than the prices to buy in states and ship. I am happy with my purchases but I would love to get the 1 small item that was missing on my order.

Like Robert says, Contemporary furniture prices are ridiculous here. Ikea has fillei a voibetter priced contemporary furniture.[/QUOTit

HOW DO YOU GET OT TO SD?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am probably like the 'pi2' of buying household goods and decor...I buy used or on sale, and upholster/paint/fix up. And I have gotten some great deals from IKEA in SD. Of course, I only buy stuff that's on sale or in the "ofertas/return" section. I basically never pay retail anywhere though. For shelving, the line of plain wood stuff that is supposed to be for garages looks great for bookshelves or entertainment centers if you give it a coat of paint, and is the biggest bang for your buck considering how much similar cheap Dominican style stuff will cost you. Sometimes you can find unique decoration pieces for super cheap, like curtains, paintings, glass sticky decals, flower pots, etc. (it's usually the styles that are not that popular for Dominicans, so I tend to love them).

Of course, it takes a lot of time and patience to put a house together. If you were just trying to set up your place quickly with quality new items from IKEA it would be painful ($).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=nyc dad;1044023]
    Quote Originally Posted by anng3 View Post
    Prices on some items are double or triple (Poang Chair) the US however if you order 15000 RD you get free delivery on the North Coast. They deliver 3 times per week. With the free delivery the prices were cheaper than the prices to buy in states and ship. I am happy with my purchases but I would love to get the 1 small item that was missing on my order.

Like Robert says, Contemporary furniture prices are ridiculous here. Ikea has fillei a voibetter priced contemporary furniture.[/QUOTit

HOW DO YOU GET OT TO SD?
    How do you get to SD? Drive, fly, take a bus or taxi. You could walk but that could take a very long time depending where you are coming from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast