Why are so many expats clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sometimes I read the boards and I wonder what country some expats actually live in.
I read a few Colombian boards and it's not much different.

Back on the DR...

The lack of understanding of how the DR "really" works, class structure, dating, doing business etc is scary!

The wealth of information on DR1 is mind blowing, just about everything is covered and I mean everything. Yet some people that have been here 5-10 years still don't get it or don't see it, even when it's in black and white, posted by expats/Dominicans that have lived it, doing it or done it :)

Maybe we should develop a Top 10-20 of expat misconceptions and wrong assumptions?

PICHARDO, I feel for you! :)

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
As I am making preparations to be in the DR full time in the next 18 months, this board has been invaluable! I feel as though I have hundreds of eyes on the ground giving very real, hard core info that will make my move and acclamation so much easier. I LOVE the varied opinions and oft times "mean" or should I say heated convesations and opinions! It is real life but SO invaluable for me. I am very grateful, excited and looking forward to my next adventure. Keep it all coming and may I say thank you for all of the assistance and wealth of information!

santo1

May 1, 2011
A must do (develop a Top 10-20 of expat misconceptions and wrong assumptions) i have lived here on and off for nine years,every day something i see or hear amazes me.I never misconcept or asume anything now as it has cost me dearly.One thing here is everything is changing daily,so what was right today mabee wrong tommorow,and vice versa.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Maybe we should develop a Top 10-20 of expat misconceptions and wrong assumptions? .... :)

It wouldn't do much good.

So many are lazy and want everything handed to them on a silver platter, asking simple questions that the answers are just a few key strokes away. Not to mention, asking the same questions over and over again.

Look how long just two simple threads have carried on:
(1) Sosua barber troubles - started Jan. 3rd and still going on.
(2) African American mistaken as Haitian - started Dec. 29th and has 230 posts.

Life is just a dream to many of the expats here, really, they live and experience it behind their keyboard in cyber land.

In my first year of visiting the D.R. in 1991 as a tourist, with knowing "virtually no Spanish", I have seen more of the D.R., interacted with more Dominicans then many that have been living here for years.

How many Sosua expats have walked the streets East of where Rocky's is located on the main drag, the streets behind Rocky's? How many have seen, heard of, and/or been to Charamicos(sp)? It's on the other side of Sosua Beach.

Life here is more than the "main" street of where you live.
Get out and explore it!

My car is under the weather, in need of repairs and will be out of commission for about a week (long Holiday weekend), so the next few days I will be walking, taking the bus, etc. all over Santiago.

For those in Santiago, have an adventure, take a ride on the "Bandarita" (That's the private bus company that travels the length of 27th de Febrero). It starts in Cien Fuego and goes way past Supermercado Nacional and the Leon Jimenez(sp) factory via 27th de Febrero, costs 10-15 pesos.

PS: Riding the "Bandarita" is almost like you see in the movies of the old buses in a far away country, with some carrying chickens, etc. An adventure and hilarious at times.

Don

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My favourites:
- the only people who can afford expensive vehicles are expats who want to impress the locals

- there are no sushi restaurants in the DR and there are never likely to be any because the locals only eat rice and beans and pica pollo

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Good ones Chiri but I also like

- all Dominicans are poor and in need of charity

- if you complain loudly enough in English the Spanish speaker will understand you eventually :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a fine line between "clueless" and "cultural arrogance..."

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Riding the "Bandarita" is almost like you see in the movies of the old buses in a far away country, with some carrying chickens, etc. An adventure and hilarious at times.

Don
I took one of those vans/Bus rides in the outskirt of Santiago city proper last time I went to visit my mom. Been raised most of my life in the States I yearned some avenger and want shopping on one of them. I wanted to cry mommy and wet my pants by the second stop, but I didn?t due to all the ladies on-board.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
OR..... "Why don't the Dominicans learn English, then we can communicate easier?".....LOL.....

OR..... being experts in the country when they haven't left Sosua of Cabarete......

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Top 10 expat misconceptions and wrong assumptions:

1.) Despite the fact i'm nearly 60yrs old, bald, and fat, this 20 year old girl that i met at the Arriba bar absolutely loves me!
2.) Despite the the fact that my girlfriend's grandmother, father, uncle, and donkey have passed away for the second time this year, she still needs money to go to the funeral.
3.) Despite the fact that i just put minutes on my girlfriend's phone/Sim card, she is out of minutes everytime she calls me.
4.) Despite the fact that my girlfriend only makes $7000 pesos a month, she still insists on spending $10,000 at the hair dressers every month.
5.) Despite the fact that it's barely drizzling outside, i would like to go for a hike or walk up in the mountains but my girlfriend refuses to go outside whenever there is so much as a cloud in the sky because, A.) she just had her hair done and it can't get wet, B.) She just had her nails done, C.) the sun may come back out and she doesn't want to get any sun. D.) she doesn't want to get her shoes dirty.
6.) Despite the fact that i just bought my girlfriend her second cell phone in the past 6 months, she hates it, again, and wants the new version that just came out.
7.) Despite my girlfriend spending every waking hour of the day and night chatting online, posting on Facebook, or Hi5, or fill in blank here_____, she claims to only love and adore me.
8.) Despite giving my girlfriend a generous allowance of money every week or month, she is always completely and utterly broke. it seems that she cannot budget so much as 25cents. it's perplexing!
9.) Despite buying my girlfriend hair-extensions every 3 months, she sells them to her friends and then cries for more hair-extensions 3 months later.
10.) Despite the fact that their is a documentary on tv right now about this beautiful country: Dominican Republic, my girlfriend insists on watching Soap Operas or Cartoons.

I'll do the top 10 misconception about expats when i get home from work.

Frank

Last edited:
Sometimes I read the boards and I wonder what country some expats actually live in.

Back on the DR...

The lack of understanding of how the DR "really" works, class structure, dating, doing business etc is scary!

The wealth of information on DR1 is mind blowing, just about everything is covered and I mean everything. Yet some people that have been here 5-10 years still don't get it or don't see it, even when it's in black and white, posted by expats/Dominicans that have lived it, doing it or done it :)

Maybe we should develop a Top 10-20 of expat misconceptions and wrong assumptions?

It wouldn't do much good.

So many are lazy and want everything handed to them on a silver platter, asking simple questions that the answers are just a few key strokes away. Not to mention, asking the same questions over and over again.

Look how long just two simple threads have carried on:
(1) Sosua barber troubles - started Jan. 3rd and still going on.
(2) African American mistaken as Haitian - started Dec. 29th and has 230 posts.

Life is just a dream to many of the expats here, really, they live and experience it behind their keyboard in cyber land.

Don

I have always said and maintained that " intelligence cannot be legislated. "

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OR..... "Why don't the Dominicans learn English, then we can communicate easier?".....LOL.....

OR..... being experts in the country when they haven't left Sosua of Cabarete......

OR..... being experts when they have only vacationed in the D.R....once.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And why do so many expats think that they can trust other expats far more than Dominicans?

Matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Not trying to defend those you have mentioned, however, it is difficult no mater how long you have lived in the DR, not to revert back to your North American or European mind set. We always seem to be caught up in contrasts and comparisons.

S

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im clueless about life anywhere so I dont see why I should know any better about life here

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi:

Not trying to defend those you have mentioned, however, it is difficult no mater how long you have lived in the DR, not to revert back to your North American or European mind set. We always seem to be caught up in contrasts and comparisons.

S

It's not so much about contrasts and comparisons, it's the complete ignorance to how things really work.

Dominicans are stupid!
I think this comment is more of a reflection of the people some expats hang around.
Most expats socialize at the low end of the economic scale and are clueless about who's who etc.

Who runs the banks, factories and owns the businesses?
How about those nice cars, kids in good schools/UNI, families that travel or have a net worth many times most expats here? Are these the stupid Dominicans?

On that note...

How many expats actually socialize with Dominicans? Go out to dinner, resorts, BBQ's etc.
How many have Dominican friends beyond the maid, watchy etc? Most cannot name 1 or 2 at best.

I got robbed and scammed, nothing works, why isn't it like home?
Once again, this is often down to your circle of "friends" or that you live in a crappy part of town and everyone around you thinks your just another Gringo pendejo!

Many Dominicans are resourceful, know how to get stuff done, but most expats don't have any or the right friends. The maid, chopa girlfriend or your wife's primo that lives in the campo cannot get you a bank account, get you out of jail, best deals or hook you up with the right people. Get out of your comfort zone and go and meet some "other" Dominicans.

May 12, 2005
I think that so many people who come here do all they can to avoid interacting with Dominicans and live in ex-pat bubbles. Even worse they come here with a certain "cultural arrogance" as previously mentioned and look down on Dominicans.

May 12, 2005

Back on the DR...

Robert this is the best post I have seen in a long time. I can't count the number of times I have read stuff here on DR1 and wanted to bang my head against a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.