Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water heater help!!!

HELP!!! I am OVER the bone chiiling, scream inducing, North Pole temperature water that comes out of my shower! No matter how hard I try, I can't cope...I need a hot shower in the mornings!!!

My criteria:

1) Must produce HOT water, lukewarm not acceptable
    2) Can be electric IF I can use it with my inversor
    3) Needs to potentially run at any time of the day (see #2)
    4) Not a huge setup, needs to be apartment friendly

My initial research led me to Propane Water Heaters has anyone tried these? Are there electric models that fit the bill?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

How many batteries can you afford to buy?
    Do you have the space to store them safely?

(Never store the batteries under the Inverter as the battery fumes can destroy the electronics of the Inverter)

A small 10-12 gallon 110v electric water heater is all you would need, unless you like to spend a lot of time in the shower. OchoA sells the water heaters

Get the power rating of the heater, then calculate how much power you would need to run it for about 20-30 minutes. Wait 10-15 minutes after turning it on and get in the shower, the remaining timer minutes will get you through the shower.

It is STRONGLY recommended that the Water Heater be on a timer, one that activates at the push of a button for a preset number of minutes. I built my own timer.

Don

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are good water heaters BUT I would opt for a propane one. Many people I know here have the propane one and love them.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default On Demand Hot Water Heater

Hi:

Don't know what your budget is or if your electricity is thru the grid most of the time but an on demand hot water system is reliable and will save you money. After going through a couple of small electric hot water tanks I switched over to this and it works great. Only one problem, you need a 220 feed which is what a clothes dryer or stove needs. This system only heats the water when needed and takes about 30 sections to begin. The up front cost is more, approximately $600usd installed but you will probably recoup the additional cost in 18 months. Good luck.

S

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We have on demand GAS heater in our rental house. Seems to work really well. Needs occasional tinkering by our property manager but on the whole we have as much hot water as we need. So, no need for 220 and if you are not on the grid it's probably the only way to go.
    Myrna

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

We just shipped an on-demand propane water heater down last week, glad to hear positive reports. We bought ours from a manufacturer in Miami, on eBay. It runs on 110. They had bigger units that ran on 220, but it's just 2 of us, and we don't take long showers, so hopefully this will work out. We went with the propane because where we live the lights are off more than they are on.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We have installed an on-demand propane hot-water heater. Our model was manufactured in Brazil, in think.
    Be aware that the unit 'kicks-in' based on water pressure as sensed by the unit. Our unit is designed to respond to a lower level of pressure then normal (whatever that is). This is important if you wish to use the unit when there is no electricity powering the water pump, and you are relying on gravity from a tanaka, on the roof. A friend brought one of the 'normal' units and found this out, too late.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The design for a basic propane heater hasn't changed in over 40 years. If you take short showers, you can get by with a small 10-20 gallon electric unit. Electric units are more expensive to run and can become inefficient if you get scale built up on the heating elements. Replacing elements can also be a hassle if they have scale built up on them. On the plus side, they are easier to install than gas.

For propane, you need to have a way to vent it, but this shouldn't be too much trouble with cinder block walls.

We put in an on demand propane heater in a tenant apartment(in the US) about 5 years ago and it simply didn't last. We recently replaced it with a standard propane heater. It was more efficient while it lasted though. Check for GPM with an on demand system.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the prices for both propane and electric water heater? Say a 10 Gallon electric, cheers.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    We have installed an on-demand propane hot-water heater. Our model was manufactured in Brazil, in think.
    Be aware that the unit 'kicks-in' based on water pressure as sensed by the unit. Our unit is designed to respond to a lower level of pressure then normal (whatever that is). This is important if you wish to use the unit when there is no electricity powering the water pump, and you are relying on gravity from a tanaka, on the roof. A friend brought one of the 'normal' units and found this out, too late.
    I have read about that issue with water pressure also. I have a tinaca on the roof so yea pressure isn't the greatest. Do you have any details on that model?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast