Buying a new car...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just ran some late model (2009-2010) cars through CarFax and AutoCheck. All lemons!

In the past week I have looked at maybe 50 late model cars, dealer and private, most worthless junk. Flooded, over sprayed, clocked etc.

If anyone has a decent late model RAV4, Corolla, Suzuki Swift with a documented history let me know, I have someone looking.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Now that D.R. is allowing vehicles with rebuilt titles back in the country, expect to see a lot more of that.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I just ran some late model (2009-2010) cars through CarFax and AutoCheck. All lemons!

In the past week I have looked at maybe 50 late model cars, dealer and private, most worthless junk. Flooded, over sprayed, clocked etc.

If anyone has a decent late model RAV4, Corolla, Suzuki Swift with a documented history let me know, I have someone looking.

Are there lemon laws in DR? Just curious. :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hi:
This won't help you with the quality but you can see what's out there and the price range, SuperCarros - Rep?blica Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos
I found a private owner and bought his 2003 Mitsubishi Montero last year and have not had a major problems as yet.

S

How much did you pay for your car? I was looking through supercarros.com and have seen many Monteros , 2001, 2002, 2003 for very good prices, all Diesel though. I have asked around and some people say the car has lots of problems, other people tell me if you are not going very far with it, and not abusing it it will last.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Let's take a 90 degree turn: how about buying used motorcycles? Are Honda Waves everywhere?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
That is correct....the five year rule is still in effect.

...because they prefer the "Frankenmobiles" driving down the road. I honestly wonder if you brought in a car marked as 'junk' or 'scrap' and then rebuilt it into the car you had in the US if they would know the difference. Any ideas on this? It seems if we bring in absolute junk they are okay with it...but not our own US cars we have lovingly maintained for years. Whattcha think?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey Robert, I'm selling my 2006 Daihatsu Terio. I bought it new. It only has 16000 km on it. I'm asking $9,500 OBO. BTW, I'll be posting it in the DR1 classifieds this afternoon. PM me if you have an interest.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
...because they prefer the "Frankenmobiles" driving down the road. I honestly wonder if you brought in a car marked as 'junk' or 'scrap' and then rebuilt it into the car you had in the US if they would know the difference. Any ideas on this? It seems if we bring in absolute junk they are okay with it...but not our own US cars we have lovingly maintained for years. Whattcha think?

Funny enough I asked my buddy at customs the very same question (someone else wanted me to inquire for them)...

The answer I was given is that you cannot import a complete chassis as junk. It must be 'picado' or cut. ex: like a front clip or a rear clip of a car.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Being that they are so many lemons out there,is it a safer bet to just buy brand new??????

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
My brother and I have made some good observations on this subject. Most vehicles get ragged on and not properly maintained. Examples are suspension will usually be shot and changing of the oil with every presidency (ok that one might be exaggerated) Don't get me started on those check engine lights that no one seems to pay attention to.

It is safe to say that most people in DR do not maintain vehicles to the same level that we are used to stateside. With that being said there are of course always exceptions to the rule and it is possible to find a gem. This will be a classic cost/benefit comparison. If you are willing to really do some legwork, you might find decent used vehicles. If you don't mind the price and just want peace of mind, go new.

With that being said, be careful of some used car dealers, they can be very sheisty!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Looks like going new is the best option. After looking at too many 2009-11 vehicle's, running a bunch of Carfax reports, I gave up hope. You either need to know the full history or buy new, that is the only way to have peace of mind.

Had a very interesting chat with an insurance guy, amazing some of the scams :)
The insurance company want an inspection to see if the vehicle is actually new before they will insure it. Apparently, plenty of people think they are buying new here, but it's not actually new. It's clocked, cleaned and plasticized. Also it's another way of stopping the insurance scam of totaling a so called new vehicle.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Had a very interesting chat with an insurance guy, amazing some of the scams :)
The insurance company want an inspection to see if the vehicle is actually new before they will insure it. Apparently, plenty of people think they are buying new here, but it's not actually new. It's clocked, cleaned and plasticized. Also it's another way of stopping the insurance scam of totaling a so called new vehicle.
Please share what you learned.