Why do you want to educate your children in a third world country?

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I have the same timeline before I make the plunge,couldn't agreed more with you.I've learned here,from schools where I like my children to attend,where I like to live,legal procedures, to a honest car dealership(yes even in DR)

This question is not meant to be condescending.

Why do you want to educate your children in a third world country? What careers do you hope for them to pursue and what are the chances of them being successful in attaining them? How much will they earn here? Even doctors, lawyers, and especially teachers don't make 1/6 the amount as in the U.S.

I plan to retire in the DR, at least half time, but not until my son receives his first world education. There are way too many superior educational opportunities here, despite the current economic problems in almost every school district, public or parochial, for me to even consider letting him go to DR schools. The fact that more people from others countries come to the U.S. more than any other country in the world for their education, careers, and other opportunities speaks for itself.

Anyway I wish you the best outcome for you and your family.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011

Why do you want to educate your children in a third world country? What careers do you hope for them to pursue and what are the chances of them being successful in attaining them? How much will they earn here? Even doctors, lawyers, and especially teachers don't make 1/6 the amount as in the U.S.

I plan to retire in the DR, at least half time, but not until my son receives his first world education. There are way too many superior educational opportunities here, despite the current economic problems in almost every school district, public or parochial, for me to even consider letting him go to DR schools. The fact that more people from others countries come to the U.S. more than any other country in the world for their education, careers, and other opportunities speaks for itself.

Thank you,and no,I took no offense from your honest question.I want to give the DR a try,if I don't like it,I can always "comeback".I lived there until I was five and probably have visited it not more than five times over 20 years.I haven't thought that far as why I would want my kids to get a third world education like you mentioned,but maybe I'm wrong,but it seems to me that,down in the DR,proffesionals live the equivalent life of a "proffessional" in the U.S.(house,car,food,clothes,etc)I really don't think that being a doctor or lawyer,bringing home 150000$ USD and having a "nice"home and a"nice"suburb will define happyness for my boys.Even here in the states,I've noticed a lot of people live happier with less.There's someone in this forum that can actually answer your question better,maybe CC can jump in and give you a more thorough answer as far as education.All the best!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Depending on the financial status or job perks earned by an individual a very good quality education is available in most of the largest cities of "third world" countries. Private schools are available throughout the world for children of families with means and quite often the graduates of these school enter top tier universities in the US and other countries.

I personally know young people that have graduated from Carol Morgan in Santo Domingo that have been accepted to Harvard, Yale, Brown, Boston University, and other top American Universities.

There are many benefits to be gained from living and educating your children in a third world country:
1) opportunity to learn another language through immersion in the culture
2) opportunity to live in another culture
3) children learn to appreciate the benefits they enjoy when they see others with less
4) opportunity to participate in and learn the importance of community help projects first hand
5) children can become more accepting, global minded citizens that learn it is ok for people to look and sound different - that everyone should be respected as a person
6) increased opportunity to experience different sports and cultural exchanges than if they stay in one area of the States

Now, all these things being said, I would have to agree that I would not educate my children in the DR public school system but that there are several fine private schools that I would not hesitate to entrust my children to attend.

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
I don't think your question is offensive, perhaps you just have a different opinion of sorts. I am the mother of two young children who are and will continue to be educated in the DR. I grew up in the US, where I graduated from college. My husband was educated between Haiti-US-DR and holds an MBA as well. Education is not taken lightly in our home. I am a teacher here as well.

My children are educated here in the DR in a bilingual US accredited school, they are also taught two additional languages at home. Any holes in their education are filled in by my husband and I, just as they would be if we lived in the US. We also have our oldest in after-school activities that I suppose could be classified under "liberal arts". I do not think that the linguistic exposure would be possible, or at least as "fluid" if we were living in the US.

I think that it is perhaps a bit naive to assume that any school, in any country, could educate our children to their fullest potential. A child's academic education is only half of the job, it is also very much the parent's responsibility to fill in the gaps. Many of my stateside friends have children the same age as mine and they too are receiving a very similar education, however it is monolingual.

As for university, most ex-pat's children will have the option as to whether or not they would like to attend university in the US/Canada/Europe or the DR. Many of the graduating students from the my children's school attend university in the US as well as Europe.

I believe that many ex-pat student's here have access to "first world education". However, I like to believe that my children are already members of what my father often referred to as the University of Life. My children, as young as they are, are gaining unique experiences that could only be acquired by living outside of their "homeland". These experiences are what will make their first-world-education college app's shine, these are what will take them above and beyond any and all expectations that they are limited to by an often unaware society. As for the poverty that exists on the island, this too has become an educational lesson for my children. We are raising our children to be grateful for what has been given to them and to help those that are not as fortunate. It is a continuing lesson in humanity and solidarity, for our children and for us as well.

Everyone's situation is different, we all have different motivations for choosing to raise our children here. Just as it is in any other country, it is up to the parents to guide their children down the right path in order for them to become the best of the best. It just so happens that many of us here chose the Caribbean path, complete with a beautiful view of mountains, sand, and sea. It is not always the rating of the institution that makes the education, it is that of the parent.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Fleur" Has Said It ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The number one reason for raising my children in the DR,is "FAMILY"!
"Extended Family" to be more specific.
I have 4 children.Ages 20 to 8 years old.The 20 year old is my stepson,who I have loved and nurtured since I married his mother when he was 4 years old.The other 3 are,"OURS".
What happens in "school" is important,what happens in the "Home" is "Life Changing".
In our home,lives Grandma and Grandpa,and "Tia",along with my wife and I and the 4 kids.
We live near 3 pairs of "Tios and Tias",and they "visit" here on a daily basis."Primos" are too numerous to count.They often spend the weekend here."Great Grandma" lived here until she died at 94!
"Christmas Eve",as well as many other holidays,we have "Family" here cooking,playing,talking LOUD,and eating all day.
THAT is why,and WHAT,I see as the reason for "Educating our children,in "A Third World Country"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Depending on the financial status or job perks earned by an individual a very good quality education is available in most of the largest cities of "third world" countries. Private schools are available throughout the world for children of families with means and quite often the graduates of these school enter top tier universities in the US and other countries.

I personally know young people that have graduated from Carol Morgan in Santo Domingo that have been accepted to Harvard, Yale, Brown, Boston University, and other top American Universities.

There are many benefits to be gained from living and educating your children in a third world country:
1) opportunity to learn another language through immersion in the culture
2) opportunity to live in another culture
3) children learn to appreciate the benefits they enjoy when they see others with less
4) opportunity to participate in and learn the importance of community help projects first hand
5) children can become more accepting, global minded citizens that learn it is ok for people to look and sound different - that everyone should be respected as a person
6) increased opportunity to experience different sports and cultural exchanges than if they stay in one area of the States

Now, all these things being said, I would have to agree that I would not educate my children in the DR public school system but that there are several fine private schools that I would not hesitate to entrust my children to attend.

That is the point the OP is trying to make. Everything he stated is a 100% true. You have to be a upper class family to have a fighting chance in the DR. I know hundreds of women with 2 or more children attened school to better themselves and to improve their quality of life. My mother had three of us, and no money, but she worked her ass off in school and working two jobs to become a nurse. I think the most she made in one year with overtime was 140,000 not bad for a women with 3 kids, no husband, no family with money, and no Carol Mogan or St George School. Just do not look a children from upper class homes, look at the entire country. A woman from DR with 3 kids no money has NO CHANCE IN HELL to improve her living sitution. Why are so many of DR1 members always include upper class communties in every topic. p.s. I attened DePaul, my older sister University of Illinios, my younger sister Howard in DC, none of this would have never taken place in DR. That was the OP point he was trying to make.

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
PS: Some of us that posted are not upper-class ex-pats. We too came from hard-working families that fought for "better" as well. If this OP is an expat, which I assume that he/she is, they are obviously addressing the expat community when writing, "Why do you want to educate your children in a third world country". This statement would not include those that do not have the choice of whether their child's education is here or there.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
PS: Some of us that posted are not upper-class ex-pats. We too came from hard-working families that fought for "better" as well. If this OP is an expat, which I assume that he/she is, they are obviously addressing the expat community when writing, "Why do you want to educate your children in a third world country". This statement would not include those that do not have the choice of whether their child's education is here or there.
That is the point!!! The playing field is uneven across the entire world, but more so in 3rd world countries. Don't send your child to a school like Carol Mogan and then bragg what a smart child you have. Most kids who attend schools like Carol Mogan are doing well in their studies, not because they are bright, smart, or a genuis, but because of four words, ABUNDANCE SUPPLY OF RESOURCES!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"fleur" I doubt that the "OP" is an Expat.I also,despite the "disclaimer", do find the question "condescending".
JMB has a "CHIP" she is dealing with, and doesn't get the whole "point" of raising/educating a child in the DR,"FAMILY TIES"!
My girls go to an OK school in Arroyo Hondo.Tuition is 4,400 pesos a month,each.I don't feel that is "Upper Class".
The "Resources" line is a cop out.Eveyone,including DR poor,has "Resources".They have resources for cell phones,beer,and $100 dollar "Tenis"!And we all have the most important resource for raising/educating our children,our TIME.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
In 1982while serving overseas I got really sick. I stayed in military and civilian hospital for about 2 yrs. with the world class leaders not being able to figure out sh*t. In 1985 while in a Chula Vista Hospital a 3rd world class Doctor graduated also from a 3rd world class education diagnosed me and the 1st world class doctors joined his prognosis/diagnosis. By the way this 3rd world class Doctor was also in charge of internal medicine at the chula vista hospital in Southern California. but this is not meant to be condescending!

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
This was probably on of the bigger factors that affected my decision to return to the US, even though my son is only three. Sure your kids can get a good education, if you're lucky enough to have the income for the better private schools and live in one of the bigger cities where those schools are established, and live in one of the better neighborhoods and........lots of and's.

Problem is what if you're just a working Joe (Gringo at that) struggling paycheck to paycheck and trying to make a living in the DR. Unfortunately that's not a good scenario for the future of your kids, or family in general. I work in the technical world of software/database development and administration but when I was living on the North Coast, where my family is, there's not many high tech jobs available. I understood and accepted that, it's a third world country. When I was single it wasn't such a big deal, roughing it, but now I'm thinking more about them than myself.

So now I'm back in the states in a small town, earning a great salary at a local college and working to get them over here. We have great public schools here and I'm in a good neighborhood with 24/7 electric water and all the stuff we Americans so often take for granted. All I can say is now I'll feel better about his education.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Homeschooling is an option for some of us. I am truly thankful for the time that I get to spend with my son instead of having him away for 8 hours a day or so at school. The education that he recieves by living here and experiencing the many different cultures and languages, I believe, are invaluable. I love the US and always will, but I love that my son and daughter have a chance to see so much of the world other than what America portrays. I have no doubt that living here and seeing what they see will affect who they are in the future. Formal education is only part of the picture, there is alot more that goes into the development of a young person.

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
Having worked in the field of private education for over 25 years I would like to share a couple of things I have learned- education is more than just books, memorization, projects etc... it is about life expriences- meaning learning and participating in teamwork, interacting with those different than yourself, learning a good healthy respect for authority just to name a few. I firmly believe that no matter where a child goes to school- the support, commitment and involvement of the parents and family make all the difference in the world. Do the parents know the teachers and staff of the school? Do they work with their children every night on homework and reading? Do they support them in team oriented activities? Also- it's all in the attitude- I have seen kids have every opportunity afforded them- the ability to go to the finest private schools, tutors etc... but are so spoiled, feel so entitled etc... that they are complete failures. I have also seen kids in some pretty basic even rough public schools that because of many of the things listed above and their desire to want to be better- they have become incredibly successful people. I really believe it is a mindset.
No matter where one is, you have the choice to make the best of things or not- you get out of it what you put into it. I must absolutely agree with CC- to have kids surrounded by a whole host of family, people who care, love and support them- I would bet money on the end result being amazing!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My step daughter took her sophomore and junior year in high school in the DR before continuing her education in the US. She is currently working in New York as an Architect.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I was 11 years old,my family moved from a small farming community in central Illinois,to Valencia Venezula.Up until that time,the only place I had been,was to a lake in Michigan for 2 weeks every summer.We traveled all over Venezuela.We went to Curacao for Christmas vacation.While in Curacao,now 12 years old,I KNEW that Someday,I would live in a "Tropical Paradise".THAT never happened! I ended up here instead !..."JOKE"!
Point is,sometimes the "experience",IS the Education.
I took my now 30 year old son all over the world.He,like me,loves travel.
I thank my parents each day,for taking our family out into the world.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
A quick question, as a nation is EDUCATION important to the DR? I can't tell you how many times in the DR I saw children walking up and down el Conde all day long in front of police and sometimes even holding conversations with police. Kids no more then 7 yrs old. I ask you again as a nation is EDUCATION important to the DR?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
"fleur" I doubt that the "OP" is an Expat.I also,despite the "disclaimer", do find the question "condescending".
JMB has a "CHIP" she is dealing with, and doesn't get the whole "point" of raising/educating a child in the DR,"FAMILY TIES"!
My girls go to an OK school in Arroyo Hondo.Tuition is 4,400 pesos a month,each.I don't feel that is "Upper Class".
The "Resources" line is a cop out.Eveyone,including DR poor,has "Resources".They have resources for cell phones,beer,and $100 dollar "Tenis"!And we all have the most important resource for raising/educating our children,our TIME.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CC you seem to be a very sharp person , so I'm going to give you some info on two countries the Dominican Republic and India. I know it is not fair to compare, because one has a population of 10 million, and the other has around 1 billion , so to be fair lets take a 50 to 100 students from each country. BTW Dominican Republic Literacy Rate is higher then India, DR 85% India 56%. Now we take these students a equal amount from each country, they both have a strong family support, tias, primos, cell phones, chewing gum etc. In your opinion which students will go to the MOON first, the elite students of Carol Mogan or some of the elite students from India?

You say you send your kids to school for 4400RD each no that is not a lot of money in most countries, but in DR to have 8800RD a month for school, your kids are better then many in DR. Tell me how you obtained the money to send your girls to that school driving taxis, guaguas, you and your wife own a colmado or salon, or does you money come from the USA?

Lastly I have two daughters also one by wife who lives in SD in Alma Rosa II and another with a Mexican woman here in Chicago. I read a lot how people here on Dr1 say other do not know DR, because they have not spent many years living in DR. Now this is something that all of you should know. My daughters mother who was born in Mexico and moved to the US when she was 14 yrs old never spent a minute in DR, but she knows that country from front to back. Everything I mean Everything she says is 200% accurate about DR and the people as far as women, men, schools, banks, busniesses etc. She knows what my Dominican wife is going to say before she says it all the time. Now Explain THIS!! Many time I have wanted to take my 8yrs old to SD to meet her little sister, and everytime the answer is HELL NO. Now what do you think she will say about education in DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Having worked in the field of private education for over 25 years I would like to share a couple of things I have learned- education is more than just books, memorization, projects etc... it is about life expriences- meaning learning and participating in teamwork, interacting with those different than yourself, learning a good healthy respect for authority just to name a few. I firmly believe that no matter where a child goes to school- the support, commitment and involvement of the parents and family make all the difference in the world. Do the parents know the teachers and staff of the school? Do they work with their children every night on homework and reading? Do they support them in team oriented activities? Also- it's all in the attitude- I have seen kids have every opportunity afforded them- the ability to go to the finest private schools, tutors etc... but are so spoiled, feel so entitled etc... that they are complete failures. I have also seen kids in some pretty basic even rough public schools that because of many of the things listed above and their desire to want to be better- they have become incredibly successful people. I really believe it is a mindset.
No matter where one is, you have the choice to make the best of things or not- you get out of it what you put into it. I must absolutely agree with CC- to have kids surrounded by a whole host of family, people who care, love and support them- I would bet money on the end result being amazing!

Very good post. Parents are as important as, if not more important than teachers.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
me too!

When I was 11 years old,my family moved from a small farming community in central Illinois,to Valencia Venezula.Up until that time,the only place I had been,was to a lake in Michigan for 2 weeks every summer.We traveled all over Venezuela.We went to Curacao for Christmas vacation.While in Curacao,now 12 years old,I KNEW that Someday,I would live in a "Tropical Paradise".THAT never happened! I ended up here instead !..."JOKE"!
Point is,sometimes the "experience",IS the Education.
I took my now 30 year old son all over the world.He,like me,loves travel.
I thank my parents each day,for taking our family out into the world.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

When I left DR at five my mother took us to Caracas,we lived there for 8years then off to the US.I want my boys to see that here is not the world.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
A quick question, as a nation is EDUCATION important to the DR? I can't tell you how many times in the DR I saw children walking up and down el Conde all day long in front of police and sometimes even holding conversations with police. Kids no more then 7 yrs old. I ask you again as a nation is EDUCATION important to the DR?

There are more well educated people in DR than your imagination can think... There is also a lot more people living better than you do in DR than your eyes can see...

JJ