How / where to find a private cook?!

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
How sad, I can't even cook.. :dead:

Soon I'm going to Santo Domingo for 5 months and I was wondering if it's possible to get your own private cook. I mean I saw it's possible to get a maid, but I rather take care of the cleaning myself.

All I need is a healthy meal each day.

So how and where to find a private cook?!

And what are the prices of a maid? And what are the prices of a private cook?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
6000 pesos a month plus live in and meals should handle it. You should be able to get the both of them in one person for the same price. If you expect him/her to speak English and drive you around and warm your bed the price goes up as high as you choose.

Hoo hoo, now wait a minute.. did you say live in?!? So it's like they expect me to give them a room as well?!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No fear imfromda305, you can find a person who won't live-in if you prefer. You will pay a bit more for live-out [most homes/apts have service quarters, and you not only provide a place to live, but also their food, toiletries, etc.]

My in-law's all have live-in help. They do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry. Last time we discussed it, they were being paid 6500 pesos and 7000 pesos a month. One is a family of three, the other a family of 5.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Hi, I think this is also something I need to be looking around for locally. I never had a private cook, I was lucky my neighbor was there for me if not some girls if not McDonalds and Chinese food. But I can't take that no more.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I know families in Santiago using private cooks: they come in the morning, cook, clean etc and leave at night. I think your best bet is to ask around locally, and make sure they have references