Santiago to Puerto Plata

coconutrae

Jan 9, 2012
Hey everyone. I am arriving in DR tomorrow night at 845pm at Santiago airport. My resort is Lifestyle Holiday Vacation Club in Puerto Plata. Can anyone give me advice on what's the easiest way to get there? I have heart that Caribe tours is a good option? That is a bus, correct? Would they take me directly to my resort? Please advise!!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Caribe tours is not an option at 845 pm. Your only real choice is a Taxi for $100 USD. Plenty of cabs outside of customs, agree on the rate before leaving STI.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I believe the last Caribe Tours' bus from Santiago to Puerto Plata is 7PM. Metro Tours' last bus is 9:15PM. You can't make that either. Both would require a taxi from airport to terminal and a taxi from terminal to hotel. You need to either stay overnight in Santiago or hire a taxi. Taxi should be in the $100-$120 range. Do a search for drivers who have been recommended on this site. I wouldn't recommend renting a car for a first trip in the dark.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If you want a great taxi driver call Elias 809-842-5557, speaks English, nice newer mini van.

coconutrae

Jan 9, 2012
My resort only provides a shuttle from Puerto Plata airport to the resort... not from Santiago airport. I chose to fly to Santiago because the flight was $200 less and had better options as far as time of arrival.

So you guys are saying taxi is the best bet? And I shouldn't pay more than $100?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
YOUR cheapest option is to spend a night at Hotel Los Jardines or Hotel Colonial (I would prefer Jardines) ($50) and then take an early Caribe Tour to PuertoPlata, and then a taxi to your hotel. You will save more than $50 that way. Even a quick (2 minute) taxi ride to Caribe Tours (RD$125) will be cheaper than taking a taxi at that hour of the night.

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
So you guys are saying taxi is the best bet? And I shouldn't pay more than $100?
Depends on how desperate you are on such short notice. I would be sure to arrange a taxi in advance, not rely on negotiating a fare with an airport taxi. The official airport taxi rates are posted, but you can usually negotiate a private driver for lower, if you do it in advance.

coconutrae

Jan 9, 2012
how much would a taxi to either of those hotels be? what is the earliest caribetour bus that leaves santiago?

coconutrae

Jan 9, 2012
Do I need to also take a taxi from the hotel to the caribe tour bus? sorry for all the questions.

it seems as if staying in santiago one night is my best bet

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
About RD$125. 6AM is the first bus. Bus fare Santiago to Puerto Plata is RD$120

No way, taxi ride from STI to a hotel would be RD500 at least.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You are making it too difficult, just take a taxi for $100. When you add up the taxis hotel and time, it aint worth it to save a few dollars (very few I might add).
On your return trip you can take a taxi to Caribe Tours and then a taxi to airport., no reservations needed.

edluv1

May 25, 2010
I usually pay 700RD from STI airport to most hotels in Santiago (Aloha Sol, Matum, Colonial)

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
You are making it too difficult, just take a taxi for $100. When you add up the taxis hotel and time, it aint worth it to save a few dollars (very few I might add).
On your return trip you can take a taxi to Caribe Tours and then a taxi to airport., no reservations needed.

Agree strongly with this post. A $15 taxi ride and, being really conservative, $50 for one night in a hotel in Santiago is already $65. Not worth the effort considering you need another taxi to Caribe Tours, the ride to Puerto Plata, and another taxi to the resort. Contact Lifestyle and ask if they can arrange a taxi for you or use the number RV provided. EVERY referral and recommendation I've used from this site has worked out well for me.

Good luck!

Preston

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Agree strongly with this post. A $15 taxi ride and, being really conservative, $50 for one night in a hotel in Santiago is already $65. Not worth the effort considering you need another taxi to Caribe Tours, the ride to Puerto Plata, and another taxi to the resort. Contact Lifestyle and ask if they can arrange a taxi for you or use the number RV provided. EVERY referral and recommendation I've used from this site has worked out well for me.

Yep, and more importantly you would have to waste time in Santiago overnight while you could be by the beach sipping margaritas!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good advice given to the OP. I think this thread points out one issue people visiting the DR should be aware of. Using Santiago to save $200 on a round trip flight when the destination is the north coast is not often a good option considering the time and money spent here to get from Santiago to the north coast and back. I have used a taxi myself from the airport once and will avoid doing that again unless the deal is a great one and I live here.