North Coast AAAS alert. Dog poisonings.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Dear Volunteers,

There have been several poisoning around our area over the weekend. Playa Laguna and La Mulatta.

According to Dr. Bob it is a very dangerous poison that is supposed to be illegal here. Poison kits will help but not stop the effects of this poison. Make sure you have an emergency number for your vet.

Please alert your friends and neighbors in these areas. Not sure why this is happening.

One dog was poisoned in the yard, not sure about the others. Keep your pets in if you are not at home.

Hopefully we will get more info as to the intention of person or persons responsible for this.

Judy

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
If you're such a crusader, convince your flock to adopt these dogs. Take them off the street and feed them.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thanks for the warning Ringo.

Although not in the same area as you mentioned, we have had our share of a few very restless weeks during the holiday's with two attempted break inns in our property and two in two houses nearby who are empty.
The first gang was a fierce gang and shot at the dogs while clipping the fence but our dogs didn't give them a chance, this gang was arrested afterwards when they robbed two families in Cabarete at gunpoint and they admitted also to have tried to break into our property.
The second gang that is now working is more sneeking around the houses, not so much targeting our house but the empty ones but it still puts our dogs continuous in alarm state which is good but we are fed up with the disturbance and want our peace back.
Since two nights and in agreement with our closest neighbor we hired a private security guy who works the night shift for our two properties and peace has returned almost immediately.

Hope that they catch the guy's who are poisoning the dogs in your area pretty soon and maybe they can eat their own poison in the brick as their last meal.

Acira

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Hope everything is settled for you Acira! We've been quiet where we are so hope it stays that way! Take care!

Yes, everything is quite here now. Thanks for the heads up but we are not the kind of people who let ourselves be 'taking hostage' in any way by crooks. We have a good gang of security dogs to help us with that and together with the security guard its working out very well.
Hope everything stay's calm at your end and take care yourself also and you know my email if any questions!

Acira

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Yes, everything is quite here now. Thanks for the heads up but we are not the kind of people who let ourselves be 'taking hostage' in any way by crooks. We have a good gang of security dogs to help us with that and together with the security guard its working out very well.
Hope everything stay's calm at your end and take care yourself also and you know my email if any questions!

Acira

We had a good group of watch dogs also. HAD. Meat with rat poison thrown over the fence at 4:30 AM took out (dead) one dog in less then 20 minutes and the other very sick. I heard the change in the barking so I knew something was wrong and got up and saw the whole thing. Gun in hand while trying to comfort a dog convulsing (sp) as she died. We even heard the car drive away. The armed guard at the gate next door saw and heard nothing. We are the last house on a dead end street.

As AAAS said, at least one dog was in it's yard when poisoned.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
About two years ago Corey but you don't forget. I'm just passing on my experience.

The dogs have a job and they did it very well. But it is easy for others to poison them and render the "alarm bark" dead in a short period. She only barked a very few minutes after eating the poison. Just enough to alert me, notice the change and get up.

My job is to listen to the dogs.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was just telling my husband about this, and he told me that when he was a little kid [the 50's, Trujillo in office] the Health Department in Santo Domingo had a program to poison and kill dogs "because there were too many". They would come through the streets after midnight until dawn, and spray dogs with something poisonous [he doesn't know what] and it stung, so the dogs licked it, and they died. It was meant to kill the street dogs, but he said if there were dogs out in yards who were barking at them, they poisoned them too. His family lost several dogs that way.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I was just telling my husband about this, and he told me that when he was a little kid [the 50's, Trujillo in office] the Health Department in Santo Domingo had a program to poison and kill dogs "because there were too many". They would come through the streets after midnight until dawn, and spray dogs with something poisonous [he doesn't know what] and it stung, so the dogs licked it, and they died. It was meant to kill the street dogs, but he said if there were dogs out in yards who were barking at them, they poisoned them too. His family lost several dogs that way.

Watching your dog/pet/friend die from poison while in your arms (my wife's arms in this case since I was doing patrol) is not a nice or easy thing to experience.

Those in the area of AAAS can ask to get a poison kit for your pet. We did not have one at that time. We have 4 now. But the dose/amount that she had wolfed down did her in. The injection would not have safed her. She was such a chow hound and that is what saved the other dog.

The AAAS alert says that this is a different poison and the poison kit may not work as well but indicate that it may gain you some time to get to your vet. In our case, being that someone was trying to break in, we could not leave the property.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
this is an unfortunate practice used throughout the country. Every once in awhile the city gov't in santo domingo does the same thing. Poison does not control dog populations, neutering does.

RIGHT ON!

This is what AAAS does along with so much more. By neutering, treating and working/educating the people in the communities it is a win win. The animals win. The communities win. The people win.

I think that AAAS has a sister type unit in S.D. that you could support.

Thanks

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is an unfortunate practice used throughout the country. Every once in awhile the city gov't in Santo Domingo does the same thing. Poison does not control dog populations, neutering does.

You know, Mr. AE said he thought they were still doing that, but I didn't want to say it. I find it so hard to accept that a government would DO that, especially when dogs are on private fenced property.

No wonder neighbors feel it's okay to toss a poisoned meatball over a fence when you have a barking dog. How can the gov't prosecute them, when they do it themselves??

And Ringo, you're right. Mr. AE's quite the dog [actually, animals in general] lover, and I could see he was upset remembering losing his dogs 5 decades ago.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
About two years ago Corey but you don't forget. I'm just passing on my experience.

The dogs have a job and they did it very well. But it is easy for others to poison them and render the "alarm bark" dead in a short period. She only barked a very few minutes after eating the poison. Just enough to alert me, notice the change and get up.

My job is to listen to the dogs.

My job is to teach my dogs not to accept food from anybody but me and I admit that is THE hardest training of all but a real necessity in this country. It is always part of my training program for my security dogs, food refusal that is, but with food denial we go a big step further with them.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo, was this recently?

I'm going to expand on this. It ties in with another thread regarding guns that I responded to. You can find that.

The evening of our fiscal/police raid looking for illegal guns was the evening before our dogs were poisoned. So who ever "dropped the dime" trying to get us taken away, leaving the house empty for an easy robbery screwed up. Keep in mind that the armed gate security person next door was never seen again. The one that saw or heard nothing when interviewed before his disappearance. (the guard worked for another company/gated community that is in ANOTHER thread at this time.)

We had diplomats and a visisting vet for AAAS at the time. So things with the fiscal had to be enforced not to bother our guests.

POINT? The attemp on our place was well planned. Thankfully... not THAT well planned.

Still comes down to that our dog did her job and I did mine.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I just wanted to add following :

We were at Dr. Bob today to pick up our little viralata who is neutered now. She was in heat and yes of course she escaped yesterday and wandered off so genetically its so baked in that she although only 4 months old, she wanted babies.

But that is beside the point. We talked about this new poison and his answer was that if you suspect that your dog is poisoned, you give the anti poison kit as described, so first two injections followed twenty minutes later with the two tablets. According to Dr. Bob immediate follow up is not required, but if you see that your dog is not 100 % fit in the next twelve hours, he advises you to go to him for follow up (hydratation).

What I also have in house is grounded charcoal which is harmless to give to the dog together with the injection to get sure that remains of the poison still in the stomach is neutralized and dogs love to eat charcoal.

Acira

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
are these poisonings stemming from people trying to set up robberies at a house, or are these poisonings related to getting rid of general barking noise in a neighborhood?