Santiago

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Hi

I ll be in the DR next week and visiting Santiago... what are the top spots I have to see there? I ve been to the museo de Leon, the monument... but is there more I need to do on the tourist trail? Sure there must be,I ll only be in Santiago for two nights, then to MOnte Cristi, Jarabacoa , Bonao and Santo Domingo.. so looking to get a good feel .... and some nice bars,but these not being the ones on the tourist maps, just the ones where I will see Dominicans being Dominicans, not influenced by American culture ( a la Hard Rock ) .. with good merengue and bachata... thanks for the tips... oh and a cheap but clean hotel.. doesn t have to be the ritz, something in the 50 buck range if they exist in Santiago... cheers

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
WEll some nice bars to visit in Satiago would be: Ahi Bar, H20, El Fogon
For dancing you can try MonteBar they have live bands all the time.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Ahi Bar and H2O are very much on the tourist map and may not be what you are looking for. Around Ahi bar there are a few small dominican bars (calle Tolentino) with a regular bachata / merengue diet. Monte Bar and Rancho Tipico (behind Monte Bar) are good choices but dead on weekday nights. For Dominicans being Dominicans - find a busy colmado with music and a bunch of plastic chairs, as dominican as it gets...

Ok hotels in $50 range: Los Jardines (very small rooms), Matoom, Colonial.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Amstellite,

If you only have 2 nights in Santiago, then definitely spend one at Monte Bar. The bands that perform there are first rate. I've been there on weeknites and the crowds were still decent. You want to "see Dominicans being Dominicans," then go where there is some great merengue tipico music!

Preston