hotel casa valeria

Randy T

Nov 13, 2011
I stayed recently at the hotel and I can confirm it did not match my expectations, For a start the rooms are very small indeed, the beds must be imported from China as i think only a chinese couple would fit into them I am 185cm and my feet were hanging over the bed. The TV didnt work and was in a position where its not possible to watch it, plus it was a tiny TV.

The courtyard was quite nice and lush but there is space for like 2 people to sunbath as again the place is so tiny. the restaurant was much hyped from reviews but in my opinion you could get just as good food in Rocky's or Scotch and Sirlion which was far superior.

On a final note the owner a dutch guy was quite a strange chap, was meant to be friendly but he wasnt quite friendly to me nor my lady, it was sterile service when i brought my problems to him, a shrug of the shoulders basically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Tuna

Dec 2, 2011
I stayed recently at the hotel and I can confirm it did not match my expectations, For a start the rooms are very small indeed, the beds must be imported from China as i think only a chinese couple would fit into them I am 185cm and my feet were hanging over the bed. The TV didnt work and was in a position where its not possible to watch it, plus it was a tiny TV.

The courtyard was quite nice and lush but there is space for like 2 people to sunbath as again the place is so tiny. the restaurant was much hyped from reviews but in my opinion you could get just as good food in Rocky's or Scotch and Sirlion which was far superior.

On a final note the owner a dutch guy was quite a strange chap, was meant to be friendly but he wasnt quite friendly to me nor my lady, it was sterile service when i brought my problems to him, a shrug of the shoulders basically.

Funny that but I checked into the place after i checked out of the new garden and i left after a day and went to Sosua By The Sea which suited me. You are not bullshi+ing!!

Montago

Feb 15, 2011

Let me tell you, Casa Valeria is a dwarf sanctuary. Stayed Feb 2011 for 2 days and that was enough. The reviews on tripadvisor were great, id bet any money that they are doctored reports as the place is quite frankly the most over rated place ive ever stayed in. The owners are narky and unhelpful (Dutch), cant wait to get you out of their sight. If you bring a guest back its all under everyones nose and just uncomfortable. Yes it is absolutely TINY--like a said its comfortable for dwarfs and thats it. Oh biggest rip off i can honestly recall in a long time, i wouldnt stay for free and that says something.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
yes, they are a small hotel. with Terra Linda and New Garden on either side, Rocky's down the street, you had plenty of options right in front of you.

what's the other hotel that has the bikini parties ?

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
I stayed at Casa Valeria in December 2011 and loved my stay there. The room was very nice & well equipped, the hotel was clean & quiet and the owners & staff were very friendly. I thought the $55/night rate was a bargain compared to Terra Linda.

For me it was a perfect stay, for others maybe not. I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you expect. Either way, it is good to have a variety of choices in where to stay.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
TL is only 65 a night for a queen bed :ermm:

The rooms at Casa Valeria have more amenities than the rooms at TL.

$89 a night with king size bed regardless of # of nights....that is why TL is mostly empty.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Well what a surprise. We've stayed there on two occasions.

It was 2006 (with the previous owners who now own El Rancho) and 2010 for three weeks out of a month. I'm well over six foot and had no trouble with the beds. The owner was courteous and very helpful as was the (German ex-pat) manager, can't recall his name. Didn't eat there very much since the menu was a bit pricey for us. Mind you we stayed each time in one of the larger rooms with housekeeping facilities of a sort.

The price in 2010 was, as mentioned above, $55 / night and we thought very competitive -- for what we got and for in Sosua.

I must agree that if you want to bring a guest in with a bit of discretion, you need to book one of the front rooms in the garden area that faces the street. Not that I have any personal experience with it -- just eye-balling others.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
I stayed there once and I can understand why there's a big divergence of opinion on the place. For someone that wants a very tranquil ambience, the place is perfect. The staff do a tremendous job toward this end. It has a really warm, home-like feel to it, and because of this, they get alot of repeat guests.

Personally, while I enjoyed my stay, I prefer a lighter more open type of environment. The rooms, while nice, are quite dark. And the pool area, while beautiful, IMO needs more sun exposure.

I also stayed once at TL, and I wouldn't do it again. IMO, New Garden offers a better experience for less $.
TL (probably because of their pricing) was virtually deserted when I stayed there. While I certainly don't like alot of noise, the place was almost depressingly quiet.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Casa Valeria does not try to stop people from bringing 'guests'. We stayed there for a week several months ago and had the displeasure of listening to the old German guy in the room next door with his different girls every night. Walls were paper thin and I heard every single second of his 'party'. Some nights he had 2 girls at a time so it wasn't frowned upon at all...unfortunately for us!

Randy T

Nov 13, 2011
Casa Valeria does not try to stop people from bringing 'guests'. We stayed there for a week several months ago and had the displeasure of listening to the old German guy in the room next door with his different girls every night. Walls were paper thin and I heard every single second of his 'party'. Some nights he had 2 girls at a time so it wasn't frowned upon at all...unfortunately for us!

Who said they try to stop people from bringing 'guests'?

Sylvia from NS

Feb 12, 2006
Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada
We've stayed at Casa Valeria on two seperate occasions, once in 2008 and once in 2009 and loved every minute of it! People have to realize that there are tourists visiting Sosua who are looking for a get-a-way that is quiet, clean, small, and not encouraging "guests" on a regular basis. We've found the owners and staff to be super helpful, very accommodating with requests or concerns. We'd not hesitate to recommend Casa Valeria and the current owners Arien and Diana.