Gaspar Living

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Hello community...

I am seeking input. As I explore and plan for a move with my senior citizen father I am looking at a rental in Gaspar Hernandez. Advice? I know it is a ways from the hub bub of Sosua, POP, Cabarete.. etc.. that seems the appeal to me. I have explored online and through friends and it seems like a quiter, more down to earth, less touristy place to live. Good beaches? Community?
Appreciate the input. Bob

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
If you want to be out of the 'tourist' area on the North Coast, you can explore Sabaneta de Yasica which is between Gaspar Hernandez and Cabarete. The moment you drive out of Cabarete towards Sabaneta, you can feel the different atmosphere already. There are some nice properties for rent or for sale either close to this little town or on the way to Moca (the mountain way to El Cumbre) and its a bit closer to Cabarete then Gaspar Hernandez which I find personally more convenient but that is my view on it.
I am sure Gaspar Hernandez has also lots to offer but I am not that familiar with it...yet :)

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I hope someone who lives in Gasper H can answer you. My only experience is driving thru but I haven't been tempted to stop. It is a busy bustling place, passing thru the main street on HWY5 is an adventure. But definelty not a tourist destination. You are really going to need Spanish. If you are looking for quiet and being away from the hub bub I would suggest you go about 45 minutes further down the road and look at Cabrera.
Myrna

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I live in GH, and have lived in Sabaneta de Yasika (6yrs) as well and happen to like GH much better. Its a lot quieter, less dust, and in my opinion safer than S de Y. As far as beaches are concerned, there aren't any in either location, so you need to go for a drive east towards Cabrera for the nice beaches, but Yagua is 10 min away and you can go to playa Magenta.
There is also a location before GH called La Cana that is situated on the beach, but the water is usually pretty rough and not recommended to swim in.
PM me any other questions you may have.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Thanks all for the insights. A mixed bag of opinions - understandably from points of view. I read a bit about Cabrera and find it interesting but can find nothing about any properties there? Suggestions. I am not tied to Gaspar. It just seems like a native, simple quiet Dominican town that might work for us.. Very simple, no flash , no pretense guys here. B

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I live in GH, and have lived in Sabaneta de Yasika (6yrs) as well and happen to like GH much better. Its a lot quieter, less dust, and in my opinion safer than S de Y. As far as beaches are concerned, there aren't any in either location, so you need to go for a drive east towards Cabrera for the nice beaches, but Yagua is 10 min away and you can go to playa Magenta.
There is also a location before GH called La Cana that is situated on the beach, but the water is usually pretty rough and not recommended to swim in.
PM me any other questions you may have.

I personally like the outskirts of Sabaneta, and I like GH as well. As far as beaches go, I can only concur with Hammer, the further you go from GH towards Cabrera, the nicer the beaches get.

What you have to keep in mind is whether you want some of the food-comforts from home. The reason I prefer S is the fact it is quite close to Cabarete with the supermarket and the restaurants, but that is a personal choice.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I have Lived in GH for 6 years. I Also spent 3 Months in Veragua which i ran from with my tail between my legs.
For sure you dont have all of the easy comforts of Sosua but you also dont have the Dangers associated with living in a heavily Tourist area.

Living here is I compare to living in eastern Canada (My origins) in the 1960's.
Friends are more true, people don't want anything from you, it is very friendly and if you
integrate you will be accepted as a part f the commmunity.

Depending where in GH you live , it can be Dominican noisy, If you want to rent it is about 1/5th the price of Sosua or Cabarete.

Beaches are a 10 minute drive or public car and finding quality goods or good supermarket shopping is almost impossible unless you know where to look.

It isn't for the feint hearted but it is also an adventure every day. You can't expect all of the comforts but most services are good. rarely an Internet or cable Problem, Make sure that you invest in a Good Inverter and Batteries, Electricity is about 12-16 hours a day.

The stuff I have seen going on in Other parts of the North Coast have made me secure that I made the right decision coming here.

Happy to have you visit if you want to PM me