Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prices in Bavaro 200%-300% higher than in SD (just checked today)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prices in Bavaro 200%-300% higher than in SD (just checked today)

I know I have been talking about this in other posts, but today my gf and myself have been receiving all "ofertas" from many supermarkets in SD by email and we have been absolutely chocked.

I can tell you that most of items are half price or even a third of the price than in Bavaro.

Being so extremely huge the difference in cost of living, I am really seriously thinking that is not worthy living here unless you are a beach mad.

What everybody here in Bavaro, big supermarkets, small ones, shops, colmados, do with their clients (us) is a completely ROBBERY, there is no other world to tell.

If you want any example of prices I have seen in SD supermarkets by email, let me know and will write down some of them.

Cheers.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see some of these prices. Please post a few.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Patatas 7 pesos la libra
    Berenjena 8 pesos la libra
    Yuca 8 pesos la libra
    Leche carnation 26 pesos la lata
    Spaguettis Princesa 9 pesos el paquete
    Mango 9 pesos la unidad
    California steack 47 pesos la libra
    Limon "persa" 7 pesos la libra
    Pollo entero 24 pesos la libra
    Aceite Crisol 265 pesos botella de 1 galon
    etc etc etc

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

pan de agua, 20 pesos bolsa de 10 panes
    pechuga de pollo, 25 pesos la libra ...
    habichuelas, 23 pesos la lata

so most of items in Bavaro are between 200-250% higher price, some of them are even 500% (potatoes)

this makes me sick ...

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am not reading this right but if you are buying chicken at 24 RD$ a pound that is 4RD$ less than the wholesale price 2 years ago. In the campo wholesale price is nearer 38RD$ now. A bag of 10 bread rolls I would expect to pay 50 RD$ and limon are expensive at the moment too.

Matilda

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Matilda, I dont know prices from the past, Im a newcomer here, I just compare prices of what I buy in Bavaro from the last 4 months and the prices I have seen in SD sometimes going there and right now comparing with real prices sent to myself via Facebook from Plaza Lama and Ole supermarkets just today ...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think that you have to have the experience of actually shopping in the store and not getting adds that could well be come ons. I can't count the times that something is advertised at one price and sold for another in the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The only accurate way of comparing prices is to shop an entire maket basket list of items and compare the total prices. Picking and choosing "loss leader" items from store to store doesn't work.

9. Likes rubio_higuey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't truly scientific but I was just in SD and decided to go ahead and buy all of my groceries while there. What would typically run me about US$200 at Super Pola was US$140 at La Sirena. Again, this wasn't a direct comparison of items but it was my normal grocery list. I was pleasantly surprised.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done that with a real shop of potatoes, yuca, batata, onions, garlic, banana, eggs, green peppers, pinneaple, papaya, zapote, etc, and the the difference is between 200% to 400% difference .... a fact.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast