The DR and Censorship

C

canadianjoe

There are times I'd love to express my true sentiments about the political and social situation here in the DR--they would be anti-gov't
Excuse me for being paranoid but do you think this message board is monitored by Hippp's people and/or the CIA
It's easy to post from the US and Can with, I assume impunity, but do you really think it's that easy down here
I also don't understand why everyone's port is posted on here--part of a conspiracy or am i paranoid
I honestly think that everyone that posts here should do so free from repercussions from the Dr gov't and the CIA
You'll never convince me in a million years that these exchanges aren't being monitored by those in authority
Do you honestly think that if i post a message advocating a revoultion to overthrow the gov't , that the gov't and the CIA wouldn't know about it
Sorry for being paranoid but in light of Hippy's order to arrest and detain a person for 48 hrs, a person that had apparently insulted the president, you can't help but think that no law exists down here and if you speak out against it---well, you know, Hippy will imprison you
In the meantime barrios burn tires and litter garbage???????--a great form of protest

d

D

Doug

I highly doubt your suspicions Joe. Even though the DR is a small countrie, the govt still has a lot to do, other than waste time monitoring message boards. Now if someone said " I'm gonna kill ---------- or I'm gonna do this or that, than it might get back to ppl in power, and then they might monitor the board for a bit. I believe the govt. has a lot of other things to monitor besides DR1

E

Ed and Mame

GEEZ! Stop scaring me !!! When it comes to "WHO KNOWS ???" stuff, I'd be paranoid, too! Like, how about (Roswell's) "AREA 51..." Has anyone found out for sure about that ...?? Who knows what's propaganda and what isn't ...?? -Mame-

E

ECH, M.D.

Excuse me for being paranoid but do you think this message board is monitored by Hippp's people and/or the CIA
It's easy to post from the US and Can with, I assume impunity,

C.JOE....there is a huge place, inside a mountain in Colorado that has as it's sole reason for existance.....the monotoring of phone calls, Internet messages and mail, web sites, etc. YOU are not paranoid but the government certainly is. This was finally made public a couple of years ago....only I forgot how the information was leaked. You are a crazy Canadian Cousin if you don't believe this. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing is PRIVATE communication, like we assume that it is. So, don't ever say or write anything that would embarrass you if you read it on the Front Page of the New York Times!

D

Doug

Maybe I'm totally naive but do you guys really think that the govt. has time to read stuff like this? Remember there are probably thousands.....no millions of different fourms like this on the internet or ham radios or print and many different types of communications. I not saying that they don't have the facilities to do it, but to really take the time to monitor everything.....I don't think so, but as I said before, if they had a reason to monitor it, they would, otherwise the different avenues that ppl could be talking about the govt. are too vast. Like ppl have said different things on here about Hipp that would upset that man to a point of revenge.....but....???

D

Doug

Re: The DR and Censorship(Mame)

When it comes to stuff like that, we could go on and on ie: President JFK, Nasa, the last U.S. election.....Yes Mame you are right, it is scary

E

Ed and Mame

Re: The DR and Censorship(Mame)

EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN ...
As I just said to a friend, "It's about 17 years late getting here, but 'big brother' has arrived ...?" He's everywhere now!!

- Scared Mame (and Ed)-

S

Susanne

EHC, you are not by any chance referring to the ECHELON?

It's very existence used to be denied, but now even the European Union is very concerned. The people in power were not exactly doing much about it when it only intimidated people's confidentiality, but since then there has been allegations - which I personally think are true - that the ECHELON has been used in industrial espionage, intercepting secret drawings and product descriptions.

So yes, if you want your mail checked, just write Khomeini, Saddam Hussein, revolution, bomb, IRA, CIA, Fidel Castro, Viva Zapata or the like...

Any of those words should be certain to tick off the automatic monitoring system in the ECHELON and passed on to the people behind it.

Regards,
Susanne

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

The ghost of Trujillo strikes again!! And for those who are worried that their Internet is being watched through their friendly ports, let me tell you that your phones are also being tapped.

If you dont believe it ask Hipolito, who complained during the political campaign that his phone line was being tapped by Leonel government, and now it is probably being done too.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Trujillo is not dead.

E

ECH, M.D.

Yes, it is ESCHELON.
No, Doug, they do not read each and every post and all the trivia. Things are programmed that certain "words" will send up a red flag and THAT particular message will be monitored. Don't ask me what the list of words are......have no idea but can certainly guess. And I am not sophisticated enough with computers to know how all this works but I assure you IT DOES.
ECH

S

Susanne

Makaveli? Who the Hell is Makaveli?

Never heard of the guy.

However, if you are thinking of Niccolo Machiavelli, Italian writer and statesman in the 16th Century, you could be right that he would indeed favour monitoring the Internet. He knew better than most how to stay in power and how to rule ruthlessly.

Regards,
Susanne

C

canadianjoe

In my more cynical moments I sometimes think that some contributors to this board delibertly make provocative statements about the DR gov't in hopes of eliciting responses that the gov't would consider treasonous----and then late one night-----

D

Doug

Like me Joe? Now we are even thinking that late at night......what the big bad Dominican boogy man is gonna get us?

E

ECH, M.D.

Guys, it does not have to be something as serious a treason....it can be nothing!!! Are you aware that there are people in La Victoria for several years that have never been charged with a crime!!!!!

D

Doug

Yes I know that ECH, about ppl in jail for nothing(or nothing having been proved. That is just because the countrie is corrupt. And yes this happens in the states as well, but if you check out per capita, the D.R.. I'm sure it would be at least 20 times as much.) Now for them being there for something that they said on thier computer.....well I'll bet that there is not one person there for saying(and I mean only saying....as we know some are in there for computer fruad)I mean just shooting the brezze..... Not carrying out anything, just talking, well I'll bet none are in there for that!!!!

H

Hippolito Mejia

Now, you guys are all on my list !!!

All right folks, I have your names, and some email adresses, and my secret police is gonna track you down to the end of the earth... I never let anyone critisize what I am doing, so you better be ready for my holy wrath !!! I am basically behaving like some of my next door-neighbours, Fidel, Hugo, Jean-Bertrand and George W. ...

C

Carlos

Re: Makaveli? Who the Hell is Makaveli?

yes i did referred to niccolo as one of his war strategy was based on playing dead to the enemy.......

J

Joseph Paul Madera

Don"t flatter yourself. Hip's people and/or the CIA wouldn't even bother to investigate nobodies like ourselves with delusions of grandeur.