Sosua shopping trip.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We are going to drive from Las Terrenas to Sosua to do some shopping, mostly I think at that supermarket which sells British and other imported food stuffs. Can someone please give me the name, address and telephone number of the butcher who makes British sausages/ bangers, I've read somewhere that there is one in Sosua. One last request: An hotel not too expensive for a couple of nights for 5 year old daughter, my wife and I. Thank you kindly.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
We are going to drive from Las Terrenas to Sosua to do some shopping, mostly I think at that supermarket which sells British and other imported food stuffs. Can someone please give me the name, address and telephone number of the butcher who makes British sausages/ bangers, I've read somewhere that there is one in Sosua. One last request: An hotel not too expensive for a couple of nights for 5 year old daughter, my wife and I. Thank you kindly.
Don't know to which supermarket you are referring, but City Market had a lot of British stuff and it's been having lease issues, so has not been restocking for some time.....just a head's up since you are making a special trip....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is City Market that you are talking about. It is on your left about 1/2 km past the costal statiion. The main supermarket (Playero) also has an increasing amount of imported foods and both have the british saussages. I believe they no longer manufacture in Sosua. it is called FMC international Foods and phone is 809-571-4989.
As to hotel look at Sosua by the Sea. Tried to post the url but it posted as an advert. So Google it and you will find it easily.

Bob K

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I wouldn't get too excited about the British bangers. They're not a patch on the ones you can get in any British supermarket. Mainly bread with a bit of meat. The bacon, however, is excellent and if you can't find it in the Sosua supermarkets it's usually available in Janets, Cabarete, on your way home.
Re. the hotel - I would agree about Sosua by the Sea for your family. Most of the guests are American missionaries so your daughter and wife won't see anything untoward!

Dec 21, 2008
Don't bother stopping

Mr. Silver Fox was in City Market two days ago.

Really nothing left on the shelves. No fresh meat counter anymore, just some packaged stuff. Not even any fresh eggs which was the purpose of him stopping.

I personally don't bother stopping anymore.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I wouldn't get too excited about the British bangers. They're not a patch on the ones you can get in any British supermarket. Mainly bread with a bit of meat. The bacon, however, is excellent and if you can't find it in the Sosua supermarkets it's usually available in Janets, Cabarete, on your way home.
Re. the hotel - I would agree about Sosua by the Sea for your family. Most of the guests are American missionaries so your daughter and wife won't see anything untoward!

What is a British banger if it isn't a bit of meat bulked out with cereal? That's why they are called bangers because they can't be legally called sausages due to the percentage of meat. Anyway, it's all about the taste. EMC use top quality meat, imported seasoning from England and have state-of-the-art machinery in their production. I've seen their premises in Sosua and the quality and cleanliness is on par with any food producer in the UK or US.

I think they produce great tasting sausages. Regular breakfast style or cumberland.

Their bacon is to die for! I've recently heard that they will be producing burgers soon too. At last, a decent locally produced burger!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If you like heinz baked beans, English style, try the Van Camps pork and beans that they are selling in Playero. Last time I went they were on offer 2 for 1.

Pour the whole tin into a saucepan and add half a cup of tomato puree. It's very close to heinz beanz.

With your bacon and sausages, you can treat yourself to a full English!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I agree with Mrs Silverfox. Citymarket has become an expensive empty shell. The few good they still have are way overpriced. What worried me was the fact, when I hopped over there tonight to get a can of leche de coco which I had forgotten at Playero, that first of all it was the last can, and secondly that the counters with the "fresh" deli and cheeses were turned of and had some loose plastic thrown over them. This was at 5.30 pm.

My advice is not to buy any fresh goods there.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Sorry to say it looks like City Market's days are numbered (very numbered). I stopped in yesterday and like Mrs Silver Fox said the place is a ghost town. The entire back of the store is closed, meat dept is closed, bakery is closed, small coffee/patsry/sandwich shop in the front of the store is closed, frozen food section closed, dairy should be closed by today as there were only a handfull of items there yesterday.
Too bad it seemed like it could have been a good idea and certainly an asset to the area.
I hope I am wrong and they are just going through a "re tooling" but not counting on it.

Bob K