Blackberry for use in SD

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
My wife would like a Blackberry to be used in Santo Domingo using the Claro system. I'm looking for help on this. I'm thinking of best and cheapest way. Should I buy a used one here in the US? What do I need? Needs to be unlocked? What system in the US is best to change to Claro in DR? Any ideas on where to purchase in the Tampa area? Many Thanks!!

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
You can purchase used ones on Ebay that are unlocked. I had my Verizon Voyager turned on Claro recently.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
You can get a BB from either T-mobile or AT&T...either will work for Claro. These phones use a SIM chip, and are the easiest to get connected with Claro. You can get them anywhere, not just at the stores.

If you think your wife will use internet on her BB then I suggest the one from AT&T, because Claro and AT&T share the same frequency for the 3G internet so it will work much faster. T-mobile phones work on Edge with Claro and internet will be much slower.

If it already comes unlocked that is great, but don't pay anything over $15-$25 to get it unlocked. There are tons of places to unlock in SD and I think they charge approx $5-10 USD.

As an aside, have your wife be careful how she walks around the streets of SD using that phone. They are very popular, and a woman flashing a nice shiny new BB might be an opportunity that some thieves might not pass up.

Last edited:

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Deyvi,

I bought a manufacturer's refurbished BB 8703E on eBay for $39 with shipping and it works just fine! You can buy one (locked or unlocked) that works on Verizon or Sprint. I'm unsure if my BB is on Claro, so please have someone verify what is compatible with Claro before you buy.

Preston

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
So far as the best place to buy them in Tampa, I would personally check Craigslist, but you could also walk into any mall there and find what you need.

As to which one to buy, that is very subjective. The best bet would be to walk into a store and check them out.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
...but of course the wife doesn't want a used one...she wants the newest one. My little brother asked me for a BB torch. I told him they cost between 350 - 500 USD. He seemed to think that's cheap. It's nothing...so now he sits with no blackberry. I offered to buy him an Alcatel which of course he declined.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I've been looking on Ebay etc. for a decent used BB. The prices start getting up there. Any ideas for a fairly inexpensive new cell to work well with Claro. Understood, It needs to be GSM.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I've been looking on Ebay etc. for a decent used BB. The prices start getting up there. Any ideas for a fairly inexpensive new cell to work well with Claro. Understood, It needs to be GSM.

PHONE items in blackberry store on eBay!

I have ordered phones from this place. They are in China but they are very reliable and cheap. Takes about two weeks or less to be delivered. I had one sent through EPS with no prolem or duties of any kind.

Just to add all shipping is free.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
PHONE items in blackberry store on eBay!

I have ordered phones from this place. They are in China but they are very reliable and cheap. Takes about two weeks or less to be delivered. I had one sent through EPS with no prolem or duties of any kind.

Just to add all shipping is free.

SKY that is a great link! Those are some good prices for new BB's. Do you know if these are legit BB's or the chinese knock offs? The easiest way to tell for someone who is not familiar with these phones...

FAKE BB's:
1) dual sim
2) has a tv antenna (or some tv watching capability)
3) there is no BBM (Blackberry Messenger)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
SKY that is a great link! Those are some good prices for new BB's. Do you know if these are legit BB's or the chinese knock offs? The easiest way to tell for someone who is not familiar with these phones...

FAKE BB's:
1) dual sim
2) has a tv antenna (or some tv watching capability)
3) there is no BBM (Blackberry Messenger)

I really can't say as I did not order a Blackberry from them. But what I did order was new and real. That I can say. If you look they also have a 5 Star Rating on Ebay. So they are reliable, as I said.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Why don't you get your BB from Orange/Claro/Viva, as they come for a small price if you get on a cheapo plan for 18 months...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I really can't say as I did not order a Blackberry from them. But what I did order was new and real. That I can say. If you look they also have a 5 Star Rating on Ebay. So they are reliable, as I said.

A very good outlook indeed. I will give these guys a try, I think it's time I upgrade my BB for DR trips