Is it possible to register a gun now that the previous owner has left the DR?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A couple of years ago, an expat friend of mine left the DR for good.

He owed me some money, but instead of paying me back in cash he gave me his Walther PPK. I'll never know how he managed it, but the gun was licensed in his name even though he didn't have his residency. He had a pet General do it for him.

I already have a legal 9mm registered in my name, but my missus has taken an interest in the Walther because it's nice and small and she could fit it in her purse. She wants to learn how to handle a firearm and wants to come with me next time I go to the poligano.

I know that it is a serious offence to be caught with an unlicensed weapon here, so it never leaves the house.

My expat friend is now long gone, living in Spain, never to return. There are no papers to reflect the change of ownership and I don't have his previous license.

Is there any way I could get it licensed to my Dominican missus?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This sounds like one of those IF and only IF you know someone kind of situations. I suggest disposing of that gun for your own safety.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
windeguy

This sounds like one of those IF and only IF you know someone kind of situations. I suggest disposing of that gun for your own safety.

I would suggest offering a real answer. If he wanted your response he would've E-mailed Dear Abby.......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This sounds like one of those IF and only IF you know someone kind of situations. I suggest disposing of that gun for your own safety.[/

I would suggest offering a real answer. If he wanted your response he would've E-mailed Dear Abby.......

And who would you personally go to and say, "Look I have this gun illegally, what I can do with it? "

For example, if my wife happens to have my gun with her, she is subject to legal action.

This is the type of situation that should have been worked out when the registered owner was in the country and it could have been handled correctly. You have no idea what might have been done using that gun.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
A couple of years ago, an expat friend of mine left the DR for good.

He owed me some money, but instead of paying me back in cash he gave me his Walther PPK. I'll never know how he managed it, but the gun was licensed in his name even though he didn't have his residency. He had a pet General do it for him.

I already have a legal 9mm registered in my name, but my missus has taken an interest in the Walther because it's nice and small and she could fit it in her purse. She wants to learn how to handle a firearm and wants to come with me next time I go to the poligano.

I know that it is a serious offence to be caught with an unlicensed weapon here, so it never leaves the house.

My expat friend is now long gone, living in Spain, never to return. There are no papers to reflect the change of ownership and I don't have his previous license.

Is there any way I could get it licensed to my Dominican missus?

This sounds like a question for your Lawyer. The gun may not have been legal to begin with and since no one has renewed the permits you and your wife, if caught with it, could be in big trouble as w.g. says.

Someone "dropped a dime" on me once because I have a gun. The fiscal and half the police tore my place apart looking for illegal guns. I showed them the one that I own and my permits that they held onto during the search. I removed the clip, emptied the chamber and put it in my pocket in front of them.

They all apoligized as they left. We are all friends now but no one could tell me who filed the complaint. And anyone can file one.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
And who would you personally go to and say, "Look I have this gun illegally, what I can do with it? "

For example, if my wife happens to have my gun with her, she is subject to legal action.

This is the type of situation that should have been worked out when the registered owner was in the country and it could have been handled correctly.

Unfortunately we all live in the real world, not the "woulda coulda shoulda" world........

S--T HAPPENS.....

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
n the past it was possible to clean up a gun title and register it in your name. The DR has tightened up the gun laws considerably and its much more difficult. If you know someone who is highly connected it may still be possible otherwise no. DR today news is talking about increased penalties for illegal guns in todays edition. There are some gun people on the forum who know quite a bit about this topic, maybe they will chime in here. One would think that the government would be happy to legalize these guns in the hands of well meaning people and get the revenue from the licenses. They would convert a large number of illegal guns to legal status and reduce black market sales. Instead they stand in the road and stop cars asking if they have a gun in the car and then perform a totally ineffectual search and end up asking for a tip.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Like I said, I realize the risks involved with illegal firearm ownership. Suffice to say it's safely stowed somewhere where no one would find it. In fact it's not even on my property at the moment.

I have a legal gun, so any search on my property would reveal a correctly licensed weapon and nothing more.

I was just wondering if there is anyway to legalise this Walther?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
btw, it sounds like from the op that the gun was never legal even in the hands of his friend. These generals used to sign a business card with their name on it. It was never a correct gun license.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Be a litle patient, the gun nuts will chime in here with a definitive answer which I suspect is no.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Like I said, I realize the risks involved with illegal firearm ownership. Suffice to say it's safely stowed somewhere where no one would find it. In fact it's not even on my property at the moment.

I have a legal gun, so any search on my property would reveal a correctly licensed weapon and nothing more.

I was just wondering if there is anyway to legalise this Walther?

Your gun and permits are legal. The other one is not. YOU loose if it is found.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
btw, it sounds like from the op that the gun was never legal even in the hands of his friend. These generals used to sign a business card with their name on it. It was never a correct gun license.

No, he had a pukka licencia tenencia and portada, complete with holograms and photos.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only way to make it legal is to have someone in the Military get it done for you. End of story.

Jul 4, 2010
It can be done, legally. First,, I suggest dropping in on one of the bona fide gun shops (Armer?a) owned by high ranking officer. Show interest in purchasing a gun from the shop, and then nonchalantly mention your predicament with the unregistered gun and ask if they could suggest the mens of having it legally registered in your name. Next, post with your success story.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It can be done, legally. First,, I suggest dropping in on one of the bona fide gun shops (Armer?a) owned by high ranking officer. Show interest in purchasing a gun from the shop, and then nonchalantly mention your predicament with the unregistered gun and ask if they could suggest the mens of having it legally registered in your name. Next, post with your success story.
Or give it to me. ;)