Just curious...For the members that work online

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Throughout this forum, I have heard many of you say that you live in D.R. but work online. Kudos to you all!!! I think that is sheer genius that you leverage your talents to work in a world wide market.

As a technology person myself, I am curious to know what you guys do for an 'online' living...

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Buy low, sell high

Thus the phrase, "Trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents"

Como se dice en espanol?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Throughout this forum, I have heard many of you say that you live in D.R. but work online. Kudos to you all!!! I think that is sheer genius that you leverage your talents to work in a world wide market.

As a technology person myself, I am curious to know what you guys do for an 'online' living...

I sell my DR1 postings to a childrens book!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Research for international NGOs; translation, editing and writing for a range of clients in the DR and beyond.

Cons - chasing 'mala paga' clients, unpredictable workload
Pros - low overheads, flexible working hours, cool boss ;)

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I work as an adjunct Instructor online for several universities in the states teaching courses for Registered Nurses going back to complete Bachelors Degree's. Of course having a Masters in Nursing is what gave me this option.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
There are a number of things you can do, however, each one are not overnight successes. You can start a website/blog about a particular product, write reviews everyday, get those reviews publsihed/linked on other sites to drive traffic to your site. Place Google Ads on your site and make some money that way. Even if your banking $10 per day, thats about $300 per month, thats more than $10K pesos per month. And your initial investment is small, $5 to register the domain for 1 year and $2 per month for basic hosting. You will be putting in about 2-3 hours per day to write the article and update your site with interesting info. But the key is to pick a niche (topic) to cover on your site....could be family values site, celebrity site, or any else. I think that would be the best way to get started making money online. There are many other methods that can bank you really well which you should learn about as you go.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
There are a number of things you can do, however, each one are not overnight successes. You can start a website/blog about a particular product, write reviews everyday, get those reviews publsihed/linked on other sites to drive traffic to your site. Place Google Ads on your site and make some money that way. Even if your banking $10 per day, thats about $300 per month, thats more than $10K pesos per month. And your initial investment is small, $5 to register the domain for 1 year and $2 per month for basic hosting. You will be putting in about 2-3 hours per day to write the article and update your site with interesting info. But the key is to pick a niche (topic) to cover on your site....could be family values site, celebrity site, or any else. I think that would be the best way to get started making money online. There are many other methods that can bank you really well which you should learn about as you go.

Or you can also make Youtube videos through the google partners program, they typically pay 1/3 cents to 1 cent per view. As you get more consistant viewers, they pay a higher percentage. Some of these posters can make a very significant income off their videos.

For example, a video with 1,000,000 views x .0033 = $3300. This is the minimum you will make if you're a yourtube parter.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Some do website design or improvements, others SEO, still others are into e-commerce.

There are folks who also work remotely reviewing legal documents, performing translations, writing code, teaching online, etc. I have a friend who is a radiologist and performs more than 80% of her work on a computer. I reviewed thousands of pages of legal documents during a trip, which comfortably paid for my next three visits.

Suffice to say, you need training, experience and more than a few connections to do this. Reading "SEO for Dummies" and hoping it all works out will NOT get you where you need to be.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I think you are being a bit too curious. It's their business.

HB

HB, will all due respect, I do not agree with you.

I'm sure you read through many posts yourself. The technology related posts stand out to me because that is my field. I have ready MANY posts where people on here openly talk about the work they do...be it online or not.

Isn't it natural human behavior for people to talk about their work? Have you ever had a conversation with someone and asked what they do? How is this any different? I am not asking how much they make or how I can get into their field.

Obviously some people on here are open enough to respond, check the thread. Those that don't wont bother to post. I don't pry into peoples lives, I'm just being social!

Last edited:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
From my little 2nd floor condo on Pedro Clisante, I am selling the new xxx domains along with a Web page to Sos?a chica's.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
One thing you should never do is pay for a "course"/book for how to make money online. They are all going to tell you the same thing some posters are telling you here.

The riskier you get the more money you can make. For example, you can start a torrent portal site for movies for iphones/ipods. You'll get tons of traffic pretty quick however you'll have the MPAA/RIAA on your ass.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Petey, I think your query is very appropriate.......and I think people will or won't respond as they choose. I am semi-retired (read made some bad financial/marital decisions in the last decade so am still needing a little more income, lol) and drop my line into the digital pool as needed and always get what I need.

I write content in the form of blog posts/articles/email autoresponses for a variety of web site owners around the world. I have done this from Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines. I'm working in Dallas on a project now which di tated I spend 4-6 months in the USA. I will be leaving around June and will check out the DR as a digital outpost. I need to be assured that electricity and reasonably fast web connections are possible there. If not, onto a place where they are.

I think we live in a great era where we can make a good living online and re-invent ourselves and upgrade our skill set and make a living anywhere good, fast, and reliable power/connections can be had. Good luck.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I myself am an IT Consultant with a very diverse background. I've been a network admin, ethical hacker, help desk support, remote support, have done satellite communications, and more. I have clients that are local and international...as long as they have internet I can remote in and do my work.

I have made dozens of websites over the years. Have done SEO and have gotten a few on the first page of Google search. I've had my web hosting account for almost a decade now (since 2003) and have a couple test sites I tinker with for PPC (Pay-per-click) advertisements as well as organic searches. I involve myself with all sorts of projects, technical and not sometimes.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Or you can also make Youtube videos through the google partners program, they typically pay 1/3 cents to 1 cent per view. As you get more consistant viewers, they pay a higher percentage. Some of these posters can make a very significant income off their videos.

For example, a video with 1,000,000 views x .0033 = $3300. This is the minimum you will make if you're a yourtube parter.

Now that's money right there! Now to come up with something that will reach 1 million views! :nervous:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
One thing you should never do is pay for a "course"/book for how to make money online. They are all going to tell you the same thing some posters are telling you here.

The riskier you get the more money you can make. For example, you can start a torrent portal site for movies for iphones/ipods. You'll get tons of traffic pretty quick however you'll have the MPAA/RIAA on your ass.

Don't say that! You know how many people have no idea what's going on in the world of money making through the web?!? For those just a simple idea in the book could turn into something great! What you know about these books anyway to say something like this?!

Just the fact that one is reading could be the start of a new thing..