in a hi rise building in SD or Santiago?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you are not nervous you should be. This was posted today in DR Today news.
Santo Domingo.- Most of the towers and other constructions in the capital and other cities wouldn?t withstand a strong earthquake, because they were built without regard for the seismic resistant code in effect, which the Public Works Ministry must comply with.

The affirmation is by Dominican Engineers, Architects and Surveyors Guild (CODIA) president Domingo Tavera, in an interview for newspaper Hoy, in the cathedral Primada de America. Now they can say we were warned.

For me I would not live higher than I can jump out of a window.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
How do you jump out a window with bars bolted on them. If you can jump from it then a theif could get in.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From today's DR1 News:
Engineers say towers could be risk-prone
The president of the Dominican College of Engineers, Architects and Surveyors (CODIA), Domingo Tavera Ulloa says buildings built under older seismic standards code may need to be retrofitted. He singled out buildings with tuck-under parking, or open commercial or parking space on the first floor supported by columns. Experts now say that this makes the first story soft and risk-prone in the case of a 7+ earthquake. Tavera Ulloa says that it is possible to upgrade many of the older structures. He also mentioned asymmetric buildings would be vulnerable to major (7+) earthquakes, mentioning places like Chile, Turkey and Mexico as examples of the results of these "construction pathologies." He said the nation's new Seismic Code in effect since March 2011 establishes more earthquake resistant standards especially for high-rise towers.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Santo Domingo.- Most of the towers and other constructions in the capital and other cities wouldn?t withstand a strong earthquake, because they were built without regard for the seismic resistant code in effect, which the Public Works Ministry must comply with.

The affirmation is by Dominican Engineers, Architects and Surveyors Guild (CODIA) president Domingo Tavera, in an interview for newspaper Hoy, in the cathedral Primada de America. Now they can say we were warned.

If a building collapses there's a high chance of being burried alive whether inside the complex or on air jumping off windows

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Santo Domingo.- Most of the towers and other constructions in the capital and other cities wouldn’t withstand a strong earthquake, because they were built without regard for the seismic resistant code in effect, which the Public Works Ministry must comply with.

Your post IS a joke, right?

Anyone and everyone that has been around for any time knows this. Not just in the D.R. but all around the World.

Are people really so uninformed? They can not do any research? They have NO clue? At all?