Renewing A U.S. Passport As A Permanent Resident of the D.R.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
I will be renewing my U.S. passport in about one year because my present one will expire at that time, so I wanted to post this to get as much helpful feedback as I could before that time.

Here are some things I need to know:

1. Where is the U.S. Embassy and how do I get there? Do I need to go to anywhere else besides there?

2. Tips on mistakes to avoid in the process of applying for a renewed U.S. passport in the D.R. and tips on what I can do to speed up the passport application and arrival process.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
3. How long does it take for the passport to arrive after the paperwork is submitted? I need as many U.S. people to respond to this question as possible.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

4. Does the embassy notify you after it arrives? How do they notify you? Or, are you expected to check with them from time to time? How do I get my hands on the new passport?

5. Does the embassy personnel display U.S. standards of customer service or do they display D.R. standards of customer service?

6. I hope the "slip the money under the table" for better service expectations DO NOT exist in the U.S. embassy personnel as it exists in the personnel working in D.R. immigration.

7. Current cost and IS THERE AN EXPEDITED SERVICE?

Thanks for your help with this, Lee Stetson :classic:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are on the North Coast you can take your passport to the office in Puerto Plata. This takes a little longer but saves you lots of time and aggrevation. That is what I did last time I renewed my passport and will do again when it is time to renew again. Otherwise you must go to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo and deal with the crowd that is always there. I did that once and will not again if it can be avoided.

Offering money under the table is not something done when renewing the passport.

Customer service is excellent at the North Coast office, not at the Consulate in Santo Domingo.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
If you are on the North Coast you can take your passport to the office in Puerto Plata. This takes a little longer but saves you lots of time and aggrevation. That is what I did last time I renewed my passport and will do again when it is time to renew again. Otherwise you must go to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo and deal with the crowd that is always there. I did that once and will not again if it can be avoided.

Offering money under the table is not something done when renewing the passport.

Customer service is excellent at the North Coast office, not at the Consulate in Santo Domingo.

My wife had hers renewed a couple of months ago using the Puerto Plata office. Easy to do.
Ted Foster is the US consul. 809-586-8014 but the assistant does all the paperwork. The following link has all the information that you need for S.D. and POP.

Passports | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic

You might want to keep the phone numbers on you just in case you need them.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, The first Wednsday of every other month the US Consulate has an American Citizens Services Day in Santiago at the Insituto Dominico Americano located on Estrella Sadhala. You must make an appointment online at the Embassy website. The next one is tentatively scheduled for 1FEB12.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Go to the legal section and search "US Passport renewal".
There is a thread there about it all, it was late 2010 - But, I don't think the rules have changed all that much.

I do know that you must apply on line for an appointment, not by telephone and not in person.
I needed to fill out the form given online and show up at the mentioned address at the given time and submit the form, several photos, pay a fee for the renewal & the obliged "new passport" delivery service and my expiring passport.

They said it would be 6 to 8 weeks, it took 10 weeks. If you think you may need to travel in the time it takes to renew, think about it first as I was unable to go anywhere.

Good luck, it's relatively easy.
cg

Let me add this was all done in Santo Domingo and I live in Samana so the delivery time was a bit long, the passport sat in Santiago for about six days.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Go to the legal section and search "US Passport renewal".
There is a thread there about it all, it was late 2010 - But, I don't think the rules have changed all that much.

I do know that you must apply on line for an appointment, not by telephone and not in person.
I needed to fill out the form given online and show up at the mentioned address at the given time and submit the form, several photos, pay a fee for the renewal & the obliged "new passport" delivery service and my expiring passport.

They said it would be 6 to 8 weeks, it took 10 weeks. If you think you may need to travel in the time it takes to renew, think about it first as I was unable to go anywhere.

Good luck, it's relatively easy.
cg

Let me add this was all done in Santo Domingo and I live in Samana so the delivery time was a bit long, the passport sat in Santiago for about six days.

The information has been given one and two posts before you. Way before you. Geez.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Moderator, Please remove my apparent unnecessary post please.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
Has anyone been required to submit the new long form passport application? They want to know all the details of your life including the name of your first employer beginning when you were eighteen years old, and you need to write down his or her phone number on the application with a threat of imprisonment if any of the information is wrong.

Also, is there a way to have the delivery of the passport expedited so we only have to wait four weeks instead of ten weeks? Most places have an expedited passport option. Just checking with the knowledgeable ones.

Also, does the passport have to be delivered to your own address in the D.R. or can we select the option to pick it up at the office where we apply for it in the D.R.?

Lee Stetson

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Also, does the passport have to be delivered to your own address in the D.R. or can we select the option to pick it up at the office where we apply for it in the D.R.?

I picked mine up at the office in Puerto Plata. Just one of the reasons I renew there instead of the Consulate in SD.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
In Late 2010 you could not pick up your new passport in Santo Domingo, you are obliged to use the delivery service. I would assume the rules on that have not changed.

It sounds like POP might be easier.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Late 2010 you could not pick up your new passport in Santo Domingo, you are obliged to use the delivery service. I would assume the rules on that have not changed.

It sounds like POP might be easier.

ANYTHING is easier than going anywhere near the US Embassy in SD.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
[h=1]Processing a U. S. Passport in Santo Domingo[/h] Please see our new YouTube video
The American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo accepts passport applications, provides additional passport pages, and processes amendments to passports as necessary. All passport applicants must apply in person. You need to make an appointment for any passport applications that require an interview (see below criteria).
Passports are delivered via a courier service. The fee is $12 for delivery within Santo Domingo or $16 for delivery outside of Santo Domingo. Approved passports require three weeks for processing and delivery. American citizens are encouraged to apply early to prevent unforeseen delays and expenses. Lines are shortest and appointments most readily available from September-November and January-March.
Some renewal applicants do not require an interview and qualify for passport drop-off or mail-in service. To see if you qualify for this convenient and expedited service, please go to adult renewals below.
All other passport applicants require a personal interview with a consular officer, also by appointment only. Emergency appointments are available. Emergency circumstances include serious illness, death of an immediate family member, or (for tourists only) previously scheduled return travel to the U.S. after a passport has been lost or stolen. Such passports will be limited in validity, and cannot be extended. You will be asked to provide proof of your emergency. Appointments are available if you have an emergency and require immediate service. Individuals in such situations must first schedule a regular online appointment at the earliest available date and then follow the instructions for emergency appointment requests.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
I would be interested in finding out if U.S. residents of the D.R. need to fill out the new long form that is required of people who apply in the states or if there is a shorter form for U.S. people who reside in the D.R. and get their U.S. passport renewed in the D.R.? Thanks for your help everyone. You all are a wonderful bunch of people.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would be interested in finding out if U.S. residents of the D.R. need to fill out the new long form that is required of people who apply in the states or if there is a shorter form for U.S. people who reside in the D.R. and get their U.S. passport renewed in the D.R.? Thanks for your help everyone. You all are a wonderful bunch of people.

I sent an email to the honorary US Consul in Puerto Plata about responding to this thread. Hopefully he will respond with the how long, what form, etc. answers.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
I sent an email to the honorary US Consul in Puerto Plata about responding to this thread. Hopefully he will respond with the how long, what form, etc. answers.

Is it possible to ask him yourself and then post his answer here? You do not have to say it is from him, therefore, you can leave him out of the answer. Perhaps, he does not want to put something on the internet and then be liable for any changes that occur?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have your old passport, you do not need anything else, except photographs...

You have not said where you are so we can't help you any more.

Close to North Shore? POP
Close to Santiago? Santiago Dominico-Americano on the first Wednesday of the month. Appointment on-line required! No excuses.
Anywhere else? Santo Domingo.

HB

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
questions

From your answer above it looks like we are not required to go to Santo Dominigo if our offical address is in a suburb of Santo Domingo?
Please confirm.

Also, the link to the embassy in the D.R. mentions appointments needed for Santo Domingo but does not seem to mention appointments needed for Puerto Plata.
Any feedback on this please?

My wife had hers renewed a couple of months ago using the Puerto Plata office. Easy to do.
Ted Foster is the US consul. 809-586-8014 but the assistant does all the paperwork.
You might want to keep the phone numbers on you just in case you need them.

Could you drop right in or did you need to set up an appointment?

Perhaps I should go to the Santiago office and have it done if it is going to sit in Santiago for six days? I could pick it up there instead of having it sit around collecting dust?

I picked mine up at the office in Puerto Plata. Just one of the reasons I renew there instead of the Consulate in SD.

So Ken, it appears that we do have an option where we go to process it and where we can pick it up regardless of where our official address is?

You have not said where you are so we can't help you any more.

Close to North Shore? POP
Close to Santiago? Santiago Dominico-Americano on the first Wednesday of the month. Appointment on-line required! No excuses.
Anywhere else? Santo Domingo.

From the above answers given by members of this forum, it looks like you are not restricted to Santo Domingo but can opt for POP or Santiago possibly? Need more feedback as my offical address is near Santo Domingo. But my official address may change before I apply for a passport? Would that give me better qualification to apply in POP or Santiago rather than enduring the Santo Domingo nightmare?

Lee Stetson :classic:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Nothing personal Lee but if you had applied back in January when you first posted, you'd have your passport by now... Ringo posted a number. Give him them call, I'm sure they'll be able to answer all your questions.