Might try to tackle this - Cedula for wifes sister.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I really don't care that much for my wifes sister, but I love her two girls and their future depends on the moms situation. She has no Cedula and therefore the two girls are not recognized by the government. In order for the girls to get their cedula one day, the mom has to have hers. The mom, supposedly, has tried to get her cedula but because she was never properly documented as a baby...has been unable to do so. The moms mother and father are now deceased. Supposedly the father took her to document her, started the paperwork and then there were problems with the paperwork and he never completed the process. Who knows. So my question is...what kind of money would be required to get her a cedula? Would I need to pay off some gov. official? Are there attorneys who specialize in this kind of thing? Do you know any that get results? Bottom line is what kind of money would resolve this problem? And don't ask about the girls' father as there no one knows where the father is.

Any info. on how to proceed is appreciated.

Feb 7, 2007
The good news is that this is solvable. The bad news is that it will take time and money.

First, you need to get a lawyer, because a court will be involved and the procedure is a bit lengthty, complicated, and legal documents will have to be drafted.

?Cu?les son los requisitos una declaraci?n tard?a de nacimiento?

The person will need to be registered for "Late Birth declaration" (Declaracion Tardia). You have to contact local Registro Civil for a complete list of requirements. Witnesses will be necessary because the parents are now deceased. If you can find a paperwork from a clink where she was born that will help.

Then, legal documents have to be drafted by the lawyer to request a court to approve the "Declaracion Tardia" by the form of sentence.

The sentence will then have to be ratified by the JCE (Direccion General de Registro Civil) in Santo Domingo.

Once approved, local Registro Civil will issue the Birth Certificate.

Once Birth Certificate is issued, the mother can then apply for cedula.

Once her cedula is issued, she has to do the late declaration for the kids, basically repeating the whole process. had this been done before October 2010, kids would not have to go through this process because there was an amnesty for late declarations for children of under 16 years of age.

I know it is possible because I have a friend who is 60 years old and had to go through "declaration" again because the register was lost in his campo. He did have cedula and everything, but his BC was not yet computerized. His mother was alive, though when he was doing this process last year.

You WILL NEED a lawyer, patience, and some money for that. fees are not that huge, but lawyer will charge....

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Ughhhh about to throw up.

What kind of money are we talking? Time is not a problem. Nobody is going anywhere. Will an attorney do it on a contingency basis? LOL. I don't like the idea of some attorney gouging me for a continuous flow of pesos. Do you know any attorney that specializes in this and is good at it?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Choose a lawyer carefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother-in-law has a cedular but no birth certificate which is needed to apply for her.

The lawyer took our money (Partial Payment) and said it was easy, but kept coming up with excuses of why it was not getting done and telling us more things that were necessary.

We refused to give more money until he got the birth certificate and contacting him just got more and more impossible.

Some lawyers here are just legalized ladrones.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Each Catholic diocese has an office called CEDAIL - headed by a lawyer. One of the services provided is just what you are seeking, Snuffy. I think that baptismal certificates, due to the Concordat, can be accepted as alternative documentation.

I'll ask in the office on Tuesday and let you know.