About pharmaceuticals

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I think you are mistaken. There are drugs for which you need a prescription, in 5- or 7-fold. Only some pharmacies are allowed to sell them.

Then again, get familiar with those pharmacies, and they will sell you the prescription as well... lol

There is no logic here...

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
[People in] developing countries don't have the resources nor the arrogance to self treat and self prescribe ... Knowing this, however, a traveler can get prescriptions refilled and monitoring tests done without the expense of a new doctor in every port.

The underdeveloped middle class in developing countries does not have disposable income to oversubscribe to medical services. Nor did Americans of my mother’s day. No slack exists between the suppliers of medical services and the people who need them. In the so-called developed countries a medical-government-legal-insurance complex has arisen to play in the slack that exists there. What an investor would call “playing in the arbitrage”. In rich countries, super developed middle classes provide good opportunity for human gain by institutional power seekers. And in the case of lawyers, of course, it becomes inhuman gain.

A poor country can’t find the slack in which to play such games. Just getting the medicines onto the shelves gives sufficient opportunity for profit. Bureaucratic barriers seldom get thrown between the purchaser and the medicine on the shelf, between the examiner and the examinee, between the testing labs and the testee.

What small middle class a developing country has may be close to revolution — government dare not dink with their antibiotics. Nor their beer nor rum nor tobacco, for that matter. Without slack in the system, insurance and malpractice lawyers don't even occur to anyone. But even in the DR an ominous growth in medical insurance has begun [which is raising prices — and next will come enforcement of prescriptions to force you into a quack's office].

From: http://www.thornlesspath.com/healthcareexperiences.pdf

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Would you rather pay a Doctor $200 US and waste a lot of time or just get what you need?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While I did like the answer about slack in the system and profits, I would respond by saying that the reason you can purchase pharmaceuticals over the counter (those that are not controlled substances) is because there are no laws preventing you from doing that.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Make friends with your pharmacist as well. In many cases, he/she will be as knowledgeable as many doctors as to symptoms, treatment and best course of action. BTW, it used to be this way in usa before we became such a fear-based society.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Example:

I have been wearing prescription glasses for the past 25 years, same lenses; 1.75 during all theses years... Any time I needed a new pair of glasses when living in DR all I had to do is go to the shop and ask Don Blas owner of Optica La Nacional located on Calle Salvador Cucurullo next to Hotel Colonial in Santiago to fix a new pair of glasses for me as he kept in file my old prescription...

Here in US things are different, I need a doctor exam any time and my prescription is still the same 1.75%:eek:gre:

JJ