Samsung Galaxy S II D710 Epic 4G Touch - Sprint

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It has CDMA technology, so no SIM card, but you can still activate it with Claro and use it in The DR with prepaid cards or even a plan if you so wish. Just take it to a Claro store to check if it's already unlocked, if it's not then just go to one of those places where they unlock the phone for a few hundred pesos.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
So no Orange... :(

I do not know much about phones but before I had a HTC Touch Pro 2 from Sprint with a Sim Card slot for use Internationally. It said that this phone had GSM so I thought it had a Sim card slot but it has not. So what are my options?

I need Internet on my phone and to be able to use it as a router so my laptop gets Internet.

Should I try to send it back? So, definitely no Orange? Can I activate it with a new plan from Claro? Please advice me what to do...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
It has CDMA technology, so no SIM card, but you can still activate it with Claro and use it in The DR with prepaid cards or even a plan if you so wish. Just take it to a Claro store to check if it's already unlocked, if it's not then just go to one of those places where they unlock the phone for a few hundred pesos.

Somebody just said that Claro also uses GSM now.... not CDMA. I can not find any info on their website... So claro GSM or CDMA? I need to know...Should I try to sell it on craigslist or bring it down to DR. Advice please

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
What Suarez said is correct, you can activate it with Claro.

Claro is one of the few cell providers I have heard of that actually has BOTH CDMA and GSM. Instead of having to pop in a sim chip, you take it to their store and they program it for you, just as Sprint or Verizon would do in the states.

I read up on it and apparently Verizon used to have service down here until they decided to 'pull the rip cord'. Claro then purchased the towers from them which is why they have both.

Another issue altogether is their coverage of DR on the CDMA network...haven't seen a coverage map to know if it was any good. Maybe someone who has a cell connected on CDMA with Claro can chime in.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

Claro is one of the few cell providers I have heard of that actually has BOTH CDMA and GSM. Instead of having to pop in a sim chip, you take it to their store and they program it for you, just as Sprint or Verizon would do in the states.

I read up on it and apparently Verizon used to have service down here until they decided to 'pull the rip cord'. Claro then purchased the towers from them which is why they have both.

Another issue altogether is their coverage of DR on the CDMA network...haven't seen a coverage map to know if it was any good. Maybe someone who has a cell connected on CDMA with Claro can chime in.

Great info. I think the coverage with Claro is very good but the plans not that good. No unlimited data like Orange... I guess smart is the way to go then Rep?blica Dominicana - Planes Smart

Anyone has any experiences how well Claros Internet works? I have been quite happy with Orange Leopardo.,.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
BTW, great choice! I love my SGS2, its an awesome phone! You will enjoy it very much.

If you are bold enough to try, you can root the phone and load a different rom. The difference it makes is unreal, it really wakes up that phone.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
BTW, great choice! I love my SGS2, its an awesome phone! You will enjoy it very much.

If you are bold enough to try, you can root the phone and load a different rom. The difference it makes is unreal, it really wakes up that phone.

I am not at all bold and savvy when it comes to phones... :) So you had the Sprint version also? No problem to activate it on Claro? I assume Orange is out of the question :(

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have a CDMA cell phone which is activated with Claro. The newest rules are that CDMA phones can only be activated with a c?dula. If you have just a passport, the phone you activate must have a SIM card.

This is what I encountered in March of 2011 when I returned to the DR after a seven month absence.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

PP, On my thread about Blackberrys in SD you advised getting a GSM and using the Claro system. Since I purchased a CDMA unlocked because of cost I wonder if when it is set up with Claro it will be slower than what you suggested using Claro with the GSM? Also, is it possible the Galaxy mentioned might be the Chinese version with dual sim cards? Yes, Verizon sold their DR business to Carlos Slim, the Mexican who supposedly is the world's richest man. I also have a Tracfone which was used only for traveling and has expired. Since you seem to be the one of the experts kind enough to give advise, do you know if this can be unlocked in the DR? Back in the summer folks on the internet claimed it couldn't be. Maybe it can now. Since Carlos Slim owns Tracfone maybe he has really made the unlocking next to impossible.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I am not at all bold and savvy when it comes to phones... :) So you had the Sprint version also? No problem to activate it on Claro? I assume Orange is out of the question :(

I have the T-Mobile version and use it in the states. When I'm in DR I use a BB from Sprint but it has the option for sim chip as well, so I use it that way. There are several phone for BB and Android that have CDMA and GSM built in.

I don't use CDMA phones there because you usually have to leave it while they program it. I try to avoid going to the Claro store whenever possible. Omg the lines........

Funny enough the Orange stores are always empty. Hmmmmm

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
CDMA is a "vanishing" technology.

I believe Claro really wants to eliminate their CDMA.

Stick to GSM.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
PP, On my thread about Blackberrys in SD you advised getting a GSM and using the Claro system. Since I purchased a CDMA unlocked because of cost I wonder if when it is set up with Claro it will be slower than what you suggested using Claro with the GSM? Also, is it possible the Galaxy mentioned might be the Chinese version with dual sim cards? Yes, Verizon sold their DR business to Carlos Slim, the Mexican who supposedly is the world's richest man. I also have a Tracfone which was used only for traveling and has expired. Since you seem to be the one of the experts kind enough to give advise, do you know if this can be unlocked in the DR? Back in the summer folks on the internet claimed it couldn't be. Maybe it can now. Since Carlos Slim owns Tracfone maybe he has really made the unlocking next to impossible.

I have the specs for Claro's CDMA frequencies somewhere, I have to find it. For data speed, the main thing to look for is that your phone matches their 3G frequencies...see below

Claro GSM Data frequency
2G - GSM 850, GSM 900 (also known as EDGE)
3G - HSDPA 850

AT&T (Note, the 3G is the same as Claro's)
3G - HSDPA 850

T-Mobile
3G - HSDPA 900

I am going to switch my DR phone to an AT&T phone for this same reason...my Sprint phone works on EDGE GSM 900, and it's painfully slow.

As for Tracphone, I just did a quick google search and saw all sorts of unlock services for Tracfones. Note that you didn't give a phone model, so I did a broad search. Tracfone is an MVNO that operates on AT&T & T-mobile's network for GSM. That should work just fine with Claro if you can unlock it. Speed of internet depends on which network it was setup to use (refer to the link to check how).

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
This getting interesting. PP really seems to have a handle on the tech. side. The " real meat" is international. Vodafone owns Orange. Vodafone owns 49% of Verizon Wireless stock. Other than each paying good divedends I haven't a clue; and neither do financial people. I'm beginning to think AT&T is the real powerhouse. It seems they fall behind for a while and reinvent again, and again. If I were to have the need for international communication on a regular basis I would use them. Even after the spilt up of "MA BELL" governments surely look to them.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
CDMA is a "vanishing" technology.

I believe Claro really wants to eliminate their CDMA.

Stick to GSM.

Well I already bought it.. and not sure if I should bring it down or put it on craigslist... Btw, I had the unlimited Leopardo from Orange for 1600 pesos and it seems like no other carrier in DR can match that.

Thanks for the input.

BTw, how can it say GSM in the specs and no SIM slot?

Last edited:

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
No internet in DR for you. It'll function as a regular phone unless you have wifi near by.