Sosua to Santiago by other bus

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm told there are other buses that go to Santiago, not Metro, not Caribe Tours.

That there is a bus that stops at the Metro station in Sosua, goes to Puerto Plata; where it drops you off (last stop), to watch for an Express bus that takes you to the old Santiago, right near where we want to go.

This is too vague of information for me. Can you tell me what the bus says on it, or what it looks like. if there's a schedule, how much it is, do you pay on the bus or by tickets ahead and if so where, and if they're as cold as Metro and Caribe.

Then there's this Express bus, again any information same as above would be appreciated.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi hb,

Want to go shopping for fabric for curtains in the old part of Santiago and a neighbor said using these other buses would take us two blocks form where we want to go.

I've taken Metro and Caribe many times, but don't know my way around Santiago. Is it just as easy to catch a publico and go? Don't know the location. People who give directions here should be made to take lessons on how to communicate effectively! They mean well but I can't function with their directions.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Hi hb,

Want to go shopping for fabric for curtains in the old part of Santiago and a neighbor said using these other buses would take us two blocks form where we want to go.

I've taken Metro and Caribe many times, but don't know my way around Santiago. Is it just as easy to catch a publico and go? Don't know the location. People who give directions here should be made to take lessons on how to communicate effectively! They mean well but I can't function with their directions.
From La Javilla, which is on the west side of Puerto Plata town centre, you can take a Javilla Tours bus to Santiago. Their terminus in Santiago is on the North edge of the city, so I doubt if that is where you want to go. Also it is a slow journey as they stop on request at many tiny settlements. Small, old buses with no A/C and often crowded.

Also from La Javilla you can take a publico (carrito) to Santiago. No idea where they end up but if you know where you are going you could no doubt bribe the driver to continue on from his usual terminus to your destination.

However, I think you are making it it difficult for yourself. I would just take a Metro or Caribe Tours (whichever is easier for you) and then take a taxi once in Santiago. Companies like Taxi Queen are very cheap. One took three of us right across the city (20 minute ride) for 150 pesos.

I think you need to ascertain exactly where you want to go before deciding which is the best way to get there.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
The people who post here should learn some manners and gratitude for all the free advice. How about asking the neighbor?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I think the street we want is Calle Del Sol - can we take a publico from the Metro station there? How much should it be and what do we tell the driver, if other than Calle Del Sol. I assume this is a big street, is there a cross street we should know?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
In Santiago, taxis are pretty cheap - 200 pesos? And, yes, one fabric store is on Calle del Sol and another, more expensive one with European fabrics is just off Calle del Sol (I don't know the name of the street). From my experience, the only reason to make the trip would be to buy the European (mainly Spanish) imports (100% cotton etc.) from the store on the side street. A few years ago both stores were closed from noon to 2pm.

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
La Epoca - fancy fabrics, it is at the bottom and around the corner from Calle del Sol

There are more than several on and around Calle del Sol as well as Las Carreras. Dumas has some nice farbics and is slightly cheaper than Epoca, plus they have a great SALE selection.

Caribe and then a taxi ($120 RD) will get you there hassle free. Your alternative would be to jump in a concho heading down on Duarte, that will take you into the "ciudad". And yes, beware of closed-for-lunch hours.

Happy shopping!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks all (or most all) for the information. I'm going to take Metro and a taxi and check out all you suggest. Thanks again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Drro: Okay, now that I know what you want.
Take the Metro or the Caribe Tours (getting off at the SECOND stop of course). Grab a taxi, or if you are into a little (really), exercise, walk down the gentle hill towards Caribe Tour (from the Metro station) and turn left. Walk to the first light. That is Av Metropolitana (my street). Cross with the Green, and down the incline towards Hagan D?z and Chile's.....walk past my house, where the big Norfolk pine is, and about 20 yards further you will see this huge building that says LA EPOCA. Three stories of cloth. Airconditioned. Elevator. The works. And you have me nearby...

AND if you don't like that selection--hey, its possible--then you dial 809 581 3000--and ask for a taxi. In two minutes they will be there, Then you say, "Almacenes Dumit en la Calle del Sol...." After that, you need to go to New York or London...

Cordially,

Me, HB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks HB, perfect directions; got it. Perfect. Feel so totally supported!