Making plans to move to the DR, need advice.

kishan_kamath

Jan 13, 2012
Hey there everyone, just heard of this amazing board a couple of days ago. I am basically of Indian origin living in the US, and just having completed my masters in electrical engineering I want to pursue my career in the DR, if there is anybody on here who could point me in the right direction for finding a job in the IT sector, it would be really appreciated.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Just work freelance over the Internet. There are many contracts you can do working remotely. all over the internet there are cpmpanies looking for help.

Skype, good intenret connections should get a steady flow of work for an Electronic engineer nowadays.

Living costs are exceptionally low in the DR.

You may get by with 200 - 400 dollars a month.

Nearshorig is bug in US right now.

Focus on one or two specialities - get 2-3 articles published on web based publications - and like a friend of mine you will hit 6 figure remuneration through your company in no time.

Good luck.

pi2

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Welcome

As Pi mentioned, working online may be a good choice, just depends on your preference. There is a thread going on about that very same subject.

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Look on the American embassy web site. I just saw a posting there for electrical engineers and other intersting jobs not to long ago. Welcome to DR1 and good luck!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

pi2

I'm very interested. Could you please give be a break down? Does getting by include rent, food etc?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
More like DEFINITELY NOT. Ignore him.

Listen to AE. Ignore the guy, unless you really believe you can survive on beans and seaweed, whilst driving around on a solar powered bycicle, and having your own nuclear plant at home.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm very interested. Could you please give be a break down? Does getting by include rent, food etc?

Oh Anna, please, don't encourage him. If you have a couple of days to spend reading, just go to the Living Cheap in DR thread and see what he's selling there..... gives me agita.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Very Wrong

pi2

This is an irresponsible lie.
You are luring people into a trap / misery. :tired:

donP

kishan_kamath

Jan 13, 2012
Haha, dont worry, I have done enough research on my own so as to know the living cost could never be that low. As for working online, I dont really consider that to be an option, I would like to move there and be a part of life over there. What I need are some contacts of people who are working in the IT sector who can give me anything from a reference to the company they are working in to a heads up if the company they are working in at the moment is hiring. Again any help is really appreciated and I look forward to hearing back from you guys.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Oh Anna, please, don't encourage him. If you have a couple of days to spend reading, just go to the Living Cheap in DR thread and see what he's selling there..... gives me agita.

Problem again - if you can share a room or studio in a village, ride a bicycle, the cost for 2 may be 200 dollars a month. I have known this happen.
3 dollars a day is good for basic foodstuffs and a lttle gas to cook.

In villages you will be paying 8 pesos a lb for veg, 30 maybe for chicken to store in the coolbox.

Some friendly person will allow you to use internet if you provide a little service, repairing the odd computer - your speciality etc.

A second hand bicycle, in neeed of a little tender care by and engineer maybe 50 dollars.

Bottle of rum a week to share with newly found friends and neigbors maybe they contribute cassava beer 6 dollars.

Buy some good footwear before you go - Crocs are good.

Acturally not long ago I know an Englishman who stayed in an Indian village in UP and his expenses were 70 dollars a month.

For some people there is a little culture shock - others no

pi2

Last edited:

kishan_kamath

Jan 13, 2012
Problem again - if you can share a room or studio in a village, ride a bicycle, the cost for 2 may be 200 dollars a month. I have know this happen.
3 dollars a day is good for basic foodstuffs and a lttle gat to cook.

In villages you will be paying 8 pesos a lb for veg, 30 maybe for chicken to store in the coolbox.

Some friendly person will allow you to use internet if you provide a little service, repairing the odd computer - your speciality etc.

A second hand bicycle, in neeed of a little tender care by and enginner maybe 50 dollars.

Bottle of rum a week to shaer with newly found friends and neigbors maybe they contribute cassava beer 6 dollars.

Buy some good footwear before you go - Crocs are good.

Acturally not long ago I know an Englishman who statyed in an Indian village in UP and his expenses were 70 dollars a month.

pi2

Your advice is appreciated, but again, that is not the way in which I want to live, I plan on moving to the capital where I assume the IT sector is primarily located and live well, (at least how much is possible with an engineer's pay). So please dont get the idea that I want to move to the DR as some holiday/adventure-type thing, I plan on living there long term and want a good-paying job which will have justified my move over there.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I would aim for a portfolio career at first. People need to get to know you and the way this is done is to give a 1-2 day example engagement.

Living cost couild be what you make it. Good good apt is not so necessary as a lot of time is spent outdoors.

QUOTE=kishan_kamath;1046337]Haha, dont worry, I have done enough research on my own so as to know the living cost could never be that low. As for working online, I dont really consider that to be an option, I would like to move there and be a part of life over there. What I need are some contacts of people who are working in the IT sector who can give me anything from a reference to the company they are working in to a heads up if the company they are working in at the moment is hiring. Again any help is really appreciated and I look forward to hearing back from you guys.[/QUOTE]

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Good luck - some people consder a gringo with a high lifestyle can turn off Dominican hirers. Internet work has been an advantage to me - you can say look at the site / maths exampl / algorith,m I put together last week / month etc. Also keeps you up to date with the latest trends.

I was working/living in France and a strictly limited lifestyle paid dividends. People can get jelous in countries where some wages are low.

pi2

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Murgh Palak

... What I need are some contacts of people who are working in the IT sector ...
I wish you luck with that.

However, if the IT work should not work out to your expectations, please consider to open an Indian restaurant. There are various places where this could flourish (maybe not Santo Domingo where there may be established competition).
I admit that this is a selfish suggestion - I adore Indian food, so please forgive me. :bunny:

donP

kishan_kamath

Jan 13, 2012
I wish you luck with that.

However, if the IT work should not work out to your expectations, please consider to open an Indian restaurant. There are various places where this could flourish (maybe not Santo Domingo where there may be established competition).
I admit that this is a selfish suggestion - I adore Indian food, so please forgive me. :bunny:

donP

I really do not think that that would be possible for me, considering I am 23. So basically what I feel(though I am not really sure that this is the right option) is for some contacts in my field who would be willing to take a look at my resume.

kishan_kamath

Jan 13, 2012
Good luck - some people consder a gringo with a high lifestyle can turn off Dominican hirers. Internet work has been an advantage to me - you can say look at the site / maths exampl / algorith,m I put together last week / month etc. Also keeps you up to date with the latest trends.

I was working/living in France and a strictly limited lifestyle paid dividends. People can get jelous in countries where some wages are low.

pi2

I really didn't understand what you meant, I ll pm you for details. As for the lifestyle part, I am not expecting to live lavishly or anything, just the right amount for an average person in the similar circumstances that I am in right now.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not your fault

pi2

I really didn't understand what you meant ...

Don't worry, many others do not either... :cheeky: :classic: :bunny:

donP