Grounded Cruise ship. Good or Bad for the DR?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Any thoughts on whether the cruise ship in Italy will affect the DR market?

Why in the world would a sinking cruise ship "In Italy" have any affect on ANYTHING in the DR.......
Do you really think people are going to flock here because of this?????
Really.......

B in Santiago

May 29, 2006
I think it could hurt the entire cruise industry worldwide. I think the DR got a bump in tourism when there were those outbreaks of food poisoning on the ships a few years back.

Half a billion dollars to build a ship. Wasn't there a GPS system with autopilot?

Jul 4, 2010
I think it could hurt the entire cruise industry worldwide. I think the DR got a bump in tourism when there were those outbreaks of food poisoning on the ships a few years back.

Half a billion dollars to build a ship. Wasn't there a GPS system with autopilot?

According to the news, the reef was not marked on navigation maps, and then the captain made a grievous mistake by steering the ship toward Giglio island the wrong way in order to facilitate rescue. The captain has been arrested.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Intentional beaching ?

This is only one incident and has no relation, good or bad, for the DR.

A grievous error was made by the command of the vessel to passage in the area of navigable hazards. Yet, the decision, intentional or otherwise, to turn the ship toward the island after the damage was done was the correct choice to save the passengers and vessel. PJT suggests the captain ordered the vessel to the island to intentionally beach it to protect the passengers and vessel. Yet, the vessel fell short of the goal due to the extent of damage.

Regards,

PJT

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Any thoughts on whether the cruise ship in Italy will affect the DR market? 4000 on a ship. Will people change their minds about cruises and boost the AI industry?

BBC News - Couple rescued from submerged ship Costa Concordia

No, it will not!
The AI clients will have to fly in, not yet on an A380 with 525-853 PAX
so one way or the other one will have to trust the system.
The safety record for bot industries is excellent.
Those overcome by phobias will stay home and hope the sky won't fall.
Then there is the grave problem of 2012, better vacation now and spend all your money :ermm:

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
There is absolutely no reason for this disaster to affect the future plans for Maimon....if a plane goes down the other side of the world does it affect Puerto Plata airport? Of course not. Even though Costa Cruise Lines are owned by the Carnival Corporation, which is the company behind the building of the cruise ship terminal, there is no reason to think that they will deviate from their plans.
I worked on Costa Cruise lines for 5 years and so this disaster has hit very close to home for me. When you work on a ship you always think about what could potentially happen but never really expect anything to happen especially when you consider the technology they have onboard. Lots of rumors are flying around and the truth will eventually come out but this was a grave mistake, a human error that should definitely not have happened. I know these waters very well as we sailed them every week when and it all bridge officers know how dangerous this coast line is. My heart goes out to all the victims and hope and pray that no more bodies are lying inside the ship. I have spent the last 24 hours talking to friends that I used to work with and we all know people that work onboard the Costa Concordia and thankfully they are all safe and sound. I have also seen a message from one of the staff members that made it ashore of a lifeboat and her side of the story was one that was completely believable. Many passengers are reporting that the evacuation procedures were a nightmare but in less than two hours over 4000 people were evacuated….that simply would not be possible if there was no organization during the evacuation procedures. Every single crew member on that ship was trained on every aspect of safety and security. They all know how to lower lifeboats and life rafts, they all know how to control lifeboats, they all know what provisions are onboard a lifeboat, they all know how many different fire extinguishers are onboard and what they are used for, they all know how to use breathing apparatus and how to wear fire retardant suits, they all know how to control fire doors and water tight doors...I could go on but I am sure you get the point, all crew members are very well trained. I am sure that some of them panicked, who wouldn't, but for the most part they all did their duties and none of them expect any thanks, it is part of what we do.

May 29, 2006
I think the crew must have done a great job to have the casualties limited to about 1% of those on board, esp with the extreme listing. Every incident like this is ultimately a learning experience that will improve safety. FOX News was all over this yesterday (their demographic) and they were talking about the tactics cruise lines use to limit liability in foreign ports. The impact from this will be limited in part by how Carnival deals with the aftermath and compensates the people on board.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
We Have A Dominican Hero.

In a word. No. There will be virtually no effect on the DR.

Hmm, not so.
Haven't you heard that there was Dominican hero on board?

"La barca ten?a capacidad para unaa s 30 personas, pero nos subimos unas 70. ?bamos completamente apachurrados. Muchos miembros de la tripulaci?n trataban de ser los primeros en subirse a la barca, sin importarles que hubiera mujeres y ni?os. Por suerte, un dominicano empleado en la joyer?a del barco puso un poco de orden". :)

Quoted from:
'Los muertos se podran haber evitado' | Mundo | elmundo.es

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hmm, not so.
Haven't you heard that there was Dominican hero on board?

"La barca ten?a capacidad para unaa s 30 personas, pero nos subimos unas 70. ?bamos completamente apachurrados. Muchos miembros de la tripulaci?n trataban de ser los primeros en subirse a la barca, sin importarles que hubiera mujeres y ni?os. Por suerte, un dominicano empleado en la joyer?a del barco puso un poco de orden". :)

Quoted from:
'Los muertos se podran haber evitado' | Mundo | elmundo.es

donP

I did not know. I stand corrected that the sum total of the influence on the DR will be an honored Dominican hero. Good for him.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Cruise prices will rise .... insurance companies will have to compensate for this massive write-off. Cruise companies will have to pay.

pi2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the cruise ship customer is not the same as the land based customer. people go on cruises because THE SHIP is the pull factor. not because one ship goes down that will mean people will abandon cruise tourism, and go to land destinations. 18 milliion Americans go on cruises every year. that figure is up 2000% since 1980, and growing. i hardly think that one disaster is going to change anything.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Looks like the Italian ships captain knew the "Evacuation Route" really well!
Better than most of the passengers it seams!
Always sail on vessels with "British" crews on the bridge!
They actually ARE fully trained,and consider the lives of their passengers FIRST!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jan 3, 2003
the cruise ship customer is not the same as the land based customer. people go on cruises because THE SHIP is the pull factor. not because one ship goes down that will mean people will abandon cruise tourism, and go to land destinations. 18 milliion Americans go on cruises every year. that figure is up 2000% since 1980, and growing. i hardly think that one disaster is going to change anything.

I agree. It's the same with DR tourism. Tourists get killed but tourists keep coming to the DR. You'd need a massacre on an all-inclusive to probably harm DR tourism and even then it might not happen. Something on the order of hundreds of masked revolutionary gunmen killing thousands of tourists in Casa de Campo in an afternoon might tip DR tourism slightly negative. Otherwise the weekly murders of a dozen or so gringos here and there is a yawner for DR tourism.

Same goes for the cruise industry. It's in a euphoric mania phase. You've got 4,000 lb grannies in wheelchairs on oxygen tanks going on cruises so that shows how safe people feel on a cruise. If the sunken ship would have been detonated by armed and crazed Libyan Al Qaeda foot soldiers searching for Qaddafi's soul killing all on board then maybe it would have slightly dented cruise tourism. Otherwise, Carnival will keep right on humming along filling all of their cruises.

Expect cruises to fill up even quicker after the crash since people will feel safer than before since more precautions will be put into place. It's the best bang for your buck. You get food, shows, movement in the form of different destinations, a place to sleep and much more all at one price. Cruises all got but one place to go which is up and up in price, more cruises and more destinations.