Who knows where is MARANATHA in Sosua?

Benitomio

Jan 16, 2012
Hello, one simple question, i keep looking all over the place and can't find a location(GPS,maps)
for Maranatha in Sosua. All i knows is that it is a local neighborhood of Sosua but would
definatly want to put a finger on it!

Thank you everyone~!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Maranatha is West of Sosua Abajo, on the South side of the highway (5). I would not venture in there @ night without a trustworthy armed Dominican that knows the area well if you get my drift.

t'

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Hello, one simple question, i keep looking all over the place and can't find a location(GPS,maps)
for Maranatha in Sosua. All i knows is that it is a local neighborhood of Sosua but would
definatly want to put a finger on it!

Thank you everyone~!

It's a safe and friendly area where local workers live. It is at the busy intersection just past Sosua Abajo on the left before the hill.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's a safe and friendly area where local workers live. It is at the busy intersection just past Sosua Abajo on the left before the hill.

It is certainly safe and friendly during the daytime, also has some "other things" going on there that your typical gringo may not want to get close to without a trustworthy local. In other words, don't hop on the back of a moto for an adventure there!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You are too paranoid tamborita. The main drag is no less safe than anywhere, our house is up the road and I stop there any hour of the day for purchasing food or drink or pollo.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You know the area, and locals know you, that is NOT the same as a tourist going to visit. I know what goes on in there, and have been in there @ 3AM. It is not paranoia, it is called common sense.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
At 3 a.m. it is not called common sense it is called rum sense or presidente sense.

Benitomio

Jan 16, 2012
Wow, i can see 2 of you has 2 different opinion... i was kinda asking because there's a house for sale in Maranata and my plan is to move to the RD to live permanently but also to live a basic life, dominican style. What you think RV429? Tamborista?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
why would you want to do that I wonder ? you could live a basic life in bella vista which is not far away

pas

Jun 7, 2004
19?44'27.86"N
70?31'22.05"W

enter in google earth and you know where it is

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Maranatha is not any worse than Charamicos, - I'd say a bit better. Typical Dominican neighborhood, have to have your wits around you to live there.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wow, i can see 2 of you has 2 different opinion... i was kinda asking because there's a house for sale in Maranata and my plan is to move to the RD to live permanently but also to live a basic life, dominican style. What you think RV429? Tamborista?
Not a good plan. (The house that is) As for the rest. Different strokes.

Benitomio

Jan 16, 2012
Thanks "pas" i found it minutes after i posted, "jrhartley", i was looking for the place cause i found that house for sale, but didn't not know about the neighborhood... bella vista? will look into it! I was looking for a local neighborhood with as less foreigners as possible, as long as the place is nice and safe enough, non-gated comunity...

Benitomio

Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for the heads up, looks like the majority would be to "stay" away from that place... or let say not the first choice!

Appreciate it~!

May 29, 2006
"Hay muchos tigres aqui con garras..."

--favorite Dominican quote from a moto driver when I wandered into a bad neighborhood at night. He kindly gave me a ride out of there.

"There are many tigers here with claws"

To the OP:
maybe ask the company for exact lat/long?

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I was looking for a local neighborhood with as less foreigners as possible, as long as the place is nice and safe enough, non-gated comunity...

I think it?s important to remember that just because you want to live in the Dominican Republic that doesn?t mean you need to become Dominican. Basic comforts like 24/7 water, electricity and security are services you can ill afford to be without.
Many come here and believe they can 'live the dream? by spending $30k-$50k on a house in a non ex-pat area and lead a ?simple? life. Remember the simple rule when buying a real-estate, Location, Location, Location. I heard one such fellow suggest that (despite not being able to speak a single word of Spanish) when he moved to the barrio Dominicans would ?look up to him?. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The Dominican Republic isn?t for everyone, try not to let your home comforts be altered too much, for some ex-pats life in the Dominican Republic is harder than life in their Motherland, particularly should they need a wage to get them through month by month.
Consider your ?dream? very carefully before committing fully.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Come here and rent a place there first as many suggest about any time any one wants to move here. As for that location, certainly not a number 1 pick.