"Fitting in" in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I saw a recent thread that touched on expats fitting in here in the DR.

I would like to say that it is fairly obvious if one is very light skinned with light colored hair one would be assumed to be foreigner, especially in the tourist areas. However, this happens to light skinned Dominicans as well.

With regard to actually fitting into the society as a foreigner, from what I've experienced and seen with other foreigners, not all of which are "gringos" is that Dominicans are very receptive to those that learn the language and customs and know how to behave. In fact I think it can be said if they are professionals they are help in high regard. Certainly, the accent may not be Dominican but this really isn't so important.

I think anyone who has spent any time here would say it is very common for Dominicans to ask foreigners if they like their country. That would be because in spite of everything Dominicans love their country and their culture. Don't be surprised if you answer Dominicans that yes you do like their country in their own language they will say you are "ya dominicano".

In other words, within one's social circle of friends and acquaintances one can be accepted as equally as any other Dominican. Does this mean that everyone you meet would see you as Dominican? Maybe not - unless you get to know them.

Finally, when one learns how to dress, etc one may not stand out as frequently as one might think. For example I have a motorcycle and I have been flagged down numerous times here because people think I'm a taxi. I generally ride around with a jacket and a cap with sunglasses.

my two cents

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

I would like to say that it is fairly obvious if one is very light skinned with light colored hair one would be assumed to be foreigner, especially in the tourist areas. However, this happens to light skinned Dominicans as well.

With regard to actually fitting into the society as a foreigner, from what I've experienced and seen with other foreigners, not all of which are "gringos" is that Dominicans are very receptive to those that learn the language and customs and know how to behave. In fact I think it can be said if they are professionals they are help in high regard. Certainly, the accent may not be Dominican but this really isn't so important.

I think anyone who has spent any time here would say it is very common for Dominicans to ask foreigners if they like their country. That would be because in spite of everything Dominicans love their country and their culture. Don't be surprised if you answer Dominicans that yes you do like their country in their own language they will say you are "ya dominicano".

In other words, within one's social circle of friends and acquaintances one can be accepted as equally as any other Dominican. Does this mean that everyone you meet would see you as Dominican? Maybe not - unless you get to know them.

Finally, when one learns how to dress, etc one may not stand out as frequently as one might think. For example I have a motorcycle and I have been flagged down numerous times here because people think I'm a taxi. I generally ride around with a jacket and a cap with sunglasses.

my two cents

You must REALLY be bored today Chip, do you know how many times this subject has been covered???

Carry on.....................I guess....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Oh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo,He's back!
And nothing has changed!
Chip is still the only "Gringo" who has been totally accepted by Dominicans,as a Dominican.
This is do to his "unique" ability to speak perfect "Dominican",and "Dress" Dominican.
"Chip",get a grip,then relax,people just might like,and surely will,at least,respect you more if you stop trying sooooooooooooooo hard to be "Liked",and "Respected".
We KNOW how "Dominicanisado" you are,after all,you tell us 6 times a day!
Welcome back! .......really.
You don't have to make up for lost time.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with "fitting in" being just who and what I am. In my opinion, fitting in and blending in are two different things. People can accept you for YOU, and you fit in to the situation or culture in your own way. That doesn't mean you have to look or even act like a native... of wherever that might be.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I first came here,I had a nearly terminal case of,"I Wanna Be A Dominican".
It was just a phase,as it SHOULD be!
I soon found out,it is better to be "YOURSELF",than a parody of a "Dominicano".
Acting like a Dominican,makes you look like a fool.
You will only get real respect by being who you are,were,and should continue to be.
I don't want to be known as "That IDIOT who goes around acting like he's a Dominican", by anyone,foreigners,or especially Doominicans.
Chip,you know what Dominicans REALLY love,not when you speak Spanish to them,but when they speak English to you.
Stop showing off.IT'S DOESN'T HAVE TO ALWAYS BE ABOUT "US".
Let them have a chance.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
"Oh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo,He's back!
And nothing has changed!
Chip is still the only "Gringo" who has been totally accepted by Dominicans,as a Dominican.
This is do to his "unique" ability to speak perfect "Dominican",and "Dress" Dominican.
"Chip",get a grip,then relax,people just might like,and surely will,at least,respect you more if you stop trying sooooooooooooooo hard to be "Liked",and "Respected".
We KNOW how "Dominicanisado" you are,after all,you tell us 6 times a day!
Welcome back! .......really.
You don't have to make up for lost time.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip isn't the only one like that. Has anyone seen AZB lately?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Note: When you starting to get confused for a motoconcho, it may be a sign of "over-blending". Time to take out the Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Funny how so many get "molesto" when one discusses this topic.

A little ironic to say the least given that in the States and Europe people say the foreigners that immigrate there should learn the language and the customs yet if one tries to do that here in the DR they get called all types of names - only by the foreigners though oddly enough.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When I first came here,I had a nearly terminal case of,"I Wanna Be A Dominican".
It was just a phase,as it SHOULD be!
I soon found out,it is better to be "YOURSELF",than a parody of a "Dominicano".
Acting like a Dominican,makes you look like a fool.
You will only get real respect by being who you are,were,and should continue to be.
I don't want to be known as "That IDIOT who goes around acting like he's a Dominican", by anyone,foreigners,or especially Doominicans.
Chip,you know what Dominicans REALLY love,not when you speak Spanish to them,but when they speak English to you.
Stop showing off.IT'S DOESN'T HAVE TO ALWAYS BE ABOUT "US".
Let them have a chance.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Maybe you should actually meet me in person before saying I'm a wanna be dude. Ask HB where I live or let me know when you are here in Santiago so you can make an accurate assessment.

BTW, no Dominicans speak English to me (ok one fellow in my class) and I have quit emulating the Dominican accent and idiosyncrasies as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Hipolito" tried to speak to me in "English" first time we met!
Huuum,I guess that is not the best example I could have used!
Chip,it's not about you.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Don't have to see where you live,or meet you in person,I have been reading your posts for a loooooooooooooooong time.THAT is enough.
Now,before I get charged with beating an unarmed man,in a battle of wits,or "Picking" on you,I will not comment on your posts anymore.What's the use.You ain't never going to see-the-light,and everyone on DR1 alredy knows that.
Now where is Pichardo posting his "Pretty Pictures" today???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,it's not about you.
Don't have to see where you live,or meet you in person,I have been reading your posts for a loooooooooooooooong time.THAT is enough.
Now,before I get charged with beating an unarmed man,in a battle of wits,or "Picking" on you,I will not comment on your posts anymore.What's the use.You ain't never going to see-the-light,and everyone on DR1 alredy knows that.

I'm not getting this "it's not about you Chip" thing of yours.

If I post something positive by saying that one can be generally accepted here and go around mostly unnoticed this is to be construed somehow as a "selfish" post on my part. Good grief.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Chip,it's not about you.

I would give real money to hear you talk.. "Hi Chip, CCCCCCCC quit being a wannabe dominican" LOL

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
funny how so many get "molesto" when one discusses this topic.

A little ironic to say the least given that in the states and europe people say the foreigners that immigrate there should learn the language and the customs yet if one tries to do that here in the dr they get called all types of names - only by the foreigners though oddly enough.

ta jevi!!!!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Chi' has yet again managed to start an argument in an empty room.... so funny.... I really missed the cringe factor.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011

my two cents

LOL! You can oficially post a "Sh*t Dominicans say" video on Youtoob. You got it bro! You're official. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.