Could this be a scam?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just spoke to someone who rented a condo online before arriving in the country. When he got here, the agent told him that unfortunately the condo administrator had rented it to two people and run off with the deposits. "So, your money has been lost and the apartment you wanted is no longer available, but we'll honour our commitment and put you up in an alternative apartment", he is told.

The apartment just happens to be much less attractive than the one he chose. The only detail that makes me doubt it's a scam is that the rent there is a little bit lower. But it looks a lot like they were using the nice condo on the website to attract the punter only to stick him in a sh!thole while giving the impression they're doing him a favour.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I just spoke to someone who rented a condo online before arriving in the country. When he got here, the agent told him that unfortunately the condo administrator had rented it to two people and run off with the deposits. "So, your money has been lost and the apartment you wanted is no longer available, but we'll honour our commitment and put you up in an alternative apartment", he is told.

The apartment just happens to be much less attractive than the one he chose. The only detail that makes me doubt it's a scam is that the rent there is a little bit lower. But it looks a lot like they were using the nice condo on the website to attract the punter only to stick him in a sh!thole while giving the impression they're doing him a favour.
What Condo complex?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

I would post the details here, condo complex, rate etc.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Is it in the DR? Haven't had a problem there but in Brussels my friend got hustled. Never had a problem in Latin America but we had issues in Paris and Brussels.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

Sounds like a classic case of "Bait and Switch"

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Sounds like a scam, - if they want to honour the commitment and don't have the unit available, they should offer him a better one, or even book it elsewhere if none are available. Otherwise I would request my deposit back and walk. Once the deposit was transferred, it became the property of the company - if they can't hire honest employees and keep track of money, it's entirely their problem.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have several friends in the US that look to rent here for their vacation and they always ask my advice. Since I do not know much about this I defer to common sense and do your homework. I would hate this to happen to anyone. Any info allowable is appreciated.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry, I don't have specifics. Apartment A was in the Cortecito area of B?varo, apartment B was in a less desirable location as well as being inferior quality. The latest is that they are being moved to a place that is "100 times better". Will post details once I have them.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
if it's one instance... probably not a scam - just a bad handling of a bad situation, (but still not acceptable). if the same agent/manager has done it more than once... then a scam for sure. With DR1 plus all the "trip advisor" type sites... hard to get away with it without a bunch of negative reviews.