Dominican Republic vs. Colombia

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
My question to everyone:

if you had a choice between living in Colombia and Dominican Republic and money was not an issue, which country would you choose?

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Colombia

Because is the closest thing to my dear Caracas,money exchange is a big issue thanks to the good all Ch?vez.DR is very americanizado,therefore driving prices up like crazy.I guess It's the same effect it had in Costa Rica.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
My question to everyone:

if you had a choice between living in Colombia and Dominican Republic and money was not an issue, which country would you choose?

I would probably chose Colombia. Which part of Colombia are you considering since it is such a big country?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Colombia is much more developed than the DR, from transport to education, communications etc. Although the banking sector I would say falls behind the DR in some areas.

As Viajero posted, the location is important. Cartagena is very different to Medellin or Bogota. Bogota is very different to Medellin, you get the idea :)

Personally I would consider Medellin the perfect city to live in and I have lived and worked in a few around the planet.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Also Medellin

My soon to be expat co-worker,has showed me a lot about Pereira,you definitely get more for your buck over DR(wish it was the same in Caracas,lol)For example,his brother was renting a three bedroom house,gated community with pool for 600$ in estrato 5??? I believe that's how you spell it.He was living in estrato 6 but moved back to 5 due to people's attitude(kinda like the elite in DR) He lives in las casona,10 minutes drive from pereira.180000 usd for a three bedroom house with pool,pool house or maid's quarters,large yard and some fruit trees.His kids remained at estrato 6 school though.Wherever you go,when you getaway from the country's capital,things become much cheaper.

Last edited:

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Colombia vs. Dominican Republic

Guys, thanks for all the feedback on this subject.

I am actually considering Cartagena. I went to Medellin and did not really like it.

What are your thoughts on Cartagena?

May 29, 2006
That would depend on what percentage of Columbians look like Paola Rey:

0db2abr591oxxo5.jpg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I lived in Cartagena for 6 weeks last year and been a bunch of times. What do you want to know?

It's hot and humid.
Expensive as compared to Santo Domingo.
Amazing Colonial Zone that makes the one in Santo Domingo look like a rundown back yard.
Good transport.
Reliable utilities.
Beaches suck, but they have a great beach culture. Need to go to the islands for amazing beaches.
Expensive rents in estrato 5 and 6. Bocagrande, Castillogrande, Laguito etc.
I found Cartagena at least 30% more expensive in general than Medellin.
Loved barrio San Diago in Centro.

Met some amazing people and made some great friends in Cartagena, from the dentist Carlos Velez that looks after the Miss Colombia candidates to Edgar Estvez the #1 Chacabana maker on the planet.

If you plan to live there, avoid the expats and get to the know Colombians!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

A very good friend :)
4.jpg

5.jpg

Kickball team. Normally played by girls in Colombia.
6.jpg

Edgar Estevez & his daughter Vanessa.
7.jpg

8.jpg

Carlos Velez.
9.jpg

Joykirk

Oct 14, 2011
Guys, thanks for all the feedback on this subject.

I am actually considering Cartagena. I went to Medellin and did not really like it.

What are your thoughts on Cartagena?

Hello, I am from Colombia, the caribbean coast, 4 hours from Cartagena.
I love Cartagena, however it's not cheap. The colonial zone I find it nicer than the one here, We have aplaza too where all the restuarants are, old churches, expensive hotels, museums, the old houses are well take care and it's clean.
Nightlife well crazy, a lot of parties anytime of the week, and of course beautiful women all around.
Not all is good We do have a lot of prostitution.
Nice areas to live, Boca Grande, Castillo grande, Crespo (near the airport) and the traffic it's not that horrible so that is also a good thing to consider.

Any questions just ask, I have a lot of nice friends in Cartagena.

Joykirk

Oct 14, 2011
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Love Cartagena

Last edited by a moderator:

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Colombia vs. Dominican Republic

Guys, thank you for all the helpful feedback on Cartagena.

It looks so beautiful, wow!

Does anyone know how much is to rent an apartment there long term unfurnished?

Also, what is the best way to circumvent the Visa in Colombia that only allows you to be in the country 180 days a year?